Author Topic: NAS abruptly restarts  (Read 2963 times)

Offline sting04

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
NAS abruptly restarts
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
hi,

i am having an issue with my 500X2. All usb drives are removed from the mede8er and any files playing is stopped. i then get a message on the top that the NAS is restarting.

this occurs frequently and is very irritating.  i an using v2.0.7 and I've got two USB drives connected via a USB hub. this setup was working before.  the only change is that i have a new router connected via lan.

thanks.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: NAS abruptly restarts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
When is this happening?
The moment you are streaming over the network from some pc share to your mede8er? Or playing from usb disk? What are you doing at the moment this happens?
Do you use wifi or wired lan connection?

You would normally expect this kind of thing happen when you have an instable network connection or when a network connection is being overloaded (streaming + also doing a torrent download on the same time?)

This will also happen when you unplug an usb drive, or have connection issues on usb devices.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:42:22 PM by Maasbommel »
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
The NAS is sharing any USB drives, as well as the internal drive. So you will get this message if you are regulary changing what USB devices are shared as 2.0.7 includes code for removing devices from NAS sharing when they are removed..which requires a NAS restart. If you not actually using the NAS function..turn it off. If all the Network services where meant to be on all the time..there would be no need top have the Off option.

Do you have a powered hub? I can only think the drives are vanishing when they go into  sleep mode..something which dosn't happen if they are directly attached.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:31:58 PM by jer1956 »

Offline sting04

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Thanks guys for the help.

I tried again with the NAS function turned off but again the same thing happens only there is no message.

the hub is not powered and I'm playing directly off the USB drive. there are no other devices accessing any of the drives connected to the mede8er.

The mede8er is now getting stuck.. it does not respond to any input (both via the remote and switches on the device) and the TV detects no video signal from the device. I then have to unplug it from the power mains and restart it. I also noticed that it stops playing after about 10 mins.

I am using a Lan connection and torrent is disabled.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Turning off the NAs just means it is no longer telling you that your USB drives are coming and going. The NAS was not causing this..just reacting to it.  If the code gets stuck in a loop waitng for something to repsond then you lose all  control input.

Try without the hub.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
I see that you use no powered hub.
Are those usb drives having their own power supply or are they getting their power from the usb bus only?

To troubleshoot this, only connect 1 drive without hub and see if it works then.
Then try the other disk and try again.

Reading all I expect one of the following things:
- if disks are not having power of dedicated own power supply but getting powered by usb bus -> disks not getting enough power, use a powered usb hub. Verify by connecting only 1 disk without hub to see if the issue is gone
- one of the disks having usb port/interface defect, hanging the whole usb bus
- a usb hub which has a defect
- usb mede8er bus/port hw issue
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.