Author Topic: tvixie support Meder8er  (Read 62950 times)

Offline borke

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
tvixie support Meder8er
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
Hello
Guys from the software development team TViXiE willing to incorporate in TViXiE support for Meder8er.
Can I ask that we help them respond to questions.
At this address you can see my correspondence with them on their forum.
http://www.tvixie.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=712
Thank you

Offline vuilnis

• B8a Tester
Re: tvixie support Meder8er
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Gave them my 2cents right away, lets all  :)
Mede8er MED500X v4b2
Audio: Digital out > Philips HD Ready TV
Setting: HDMI Downmix / Night mode ON
Video: HDMI out > Philips HD Ready TV
Setting: PAL,1080i 60Hz,24Hz OFF,16:9
Source: Wired Network > Windows XP SP3 SMB shares / D-Link DNS-323 NAS

Offline mysticc

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:07:07 AM »
Hmmmmm...

Does it really make sense asking these guys for support of Mede8er as long as the box simply takes the first .jpg and nothing else?
You can use TVixie right now and just do a batch-rename over your already processed movie-folders to get the naming-scheme suitable for Mede8er. (Fast process)

Later on when Mede8er may include some more intelligent handling of this what gives more possibilities and things are defined it makes sense to ask for direct support of Mede8er by the Tvixie-guys.

Just my 2 cents.

V3.0 Beta
MED500X with internal HD 250G
100Mbit Networked with CAT5 to AVM Fritz 7220
Networkshare mainly on Win2003 Server, sometimes on Windows7 x64 Ultimate
Connected via Component to LCD and HDMI to projector.
AVR: Denon-3805
Projector: Sony HW-10
LCD: Viewpia 37
Blu-Ray-Player: LG BD 370

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
The focus right now is to debug the new firmware so we can get it out, but it has been discussed that we could have for example 2 files - one the folder.jpg for folder preview display, and the about.jpg which could be hard-coded for full-screen display instead of simply maximising the first JPG.

If the file format could be improved then we could open this for discussion - perhaps start a thread for 'Mede8er file naming standards' and discuss what you would consider to be standards to an 'info' synopsis page - i.e. about.jpg and a cover art file, etc...

Perhaps it is still early for this support to be embedded into 3rd party applications as we haven't yet settled and still have a long road to travel...
Questions? Please check the Mede8er Beginners Guide.

For technical assistance, please take note of the Technical support guidelines.

Ensure too that you are using the latest firmware when requesting support.

Offline sarje

• B8a Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:03:01 AM »
It's easy to configure TVixie for the Mede8er.
Just edit the config file (xml).  Just change the 'WDTV' name to 'Mede8er'.
Also change the default jpeg name to 'about.jpg'.
When these changes are made, the program behaves exactly as if it were included originally.
V3.04
MED500X with internal HD  Seagate 1.5TB
100Mbit Networked with CAT5
Shares on XP Pro
HDMI to LCD
Sound via optical to Yamaha 5.1 AV amp
Sinotech 42" full HD LCD

Offline edutch

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »
Nice tip works great :)
Med 600X3D (V3.0.1) & 500X (V4.05)
Ps3 & Samsung BD-E5500 Blu ray
Synology DS213 & Qnap TS109Pro
Netgear WNDR3800 & D-link DGS1008D gigabit switch.
Plasma Samsung PS60E6500
Onkyo NR TX 709

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
It's easy to configure TVixie for the Mede8er.
Just edit the config file (xml).  Just change the 'WDTV' name to 'Mede8er'.
Also change the default jpeg name to 'about.jpg'.
When these changes are made, the program behaves exactly as if it were included originally.

I'm starting to play around with this.  How do I change the XML file and the default.jpeg name?

Thanks in advance.
Mede8er FW 2.0.2  networked via cable to
Netgear wireless G router WGR614
Acer Aspire 7720G Dual Core Processor Laptop
Vista 32 Bit
External Iomega 500GB HDD connected to laptop via USB
Samsung 42 inch Plasma TV(HDMI to amp)
Onkyo 605 amplifier (HDMI to Mede8er)

Offline Trademark

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Hi,
edit the "models.xml", which you'll find in the Tvixie-Program Folder with an editor.

Change an existing model or add a new model.

Greets
TM

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
Cheers my friend!

I will do that. I'm not sure how this all fits with the mede8er yet - I may need to ask more questions when it does :)
Mede8er FW 2.0.2  networked via cable to
Netgear wireless G router WGR614
Acer Aspire 7720G Dual Core Processor Laptop
Vista 32 Bit
External Iomega 500GB HDD connected to laptop via USB
Samsung 42 inch Plasma TV(HDMI to amp)
Onkyo 605 amplifier (HDMI to Mede8er)

Offline vuilnis

• B8a Tester
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:33:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip to the right document to edit, I've been fiddling with the other files but to no avail.

With Ember Media Manager and TViXie I can now generate an #_about.jpg (dropped in an _ there cause that's easier on my eye) for my movies, based on fanart, without having to copy and rename files or have TViXie overwrite previously downloaded files with it's miniscule thumbnail version of folder.jpg or even having to delete stupid front_cover.tvixie's after the whole process. Throw in XBMC with OpenSubtitles_OSD and I can also get the subtitles EMM reported as missing without too much hassle.

Now all I have to do is find out which scraper handles TV Series best and figure out how I can force the mede8er to look at my freshly made #_about.jpg's, as mine does not pick up on the first alphabetical .jpg automatically or logically.
Mede8er MED500X v4b2

Offline Tiger33

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 03:50:22 AM »
Thanks for the tip to the right document to edit, I've been fiddling with the other files but to no avail.

With Ember Media Manager and TViXie I can now generate an #_about.jpg (dropped in an _ there cause that's easier on my eye) for my movies, based on fanart, without having to copy and rename files or have TViXie overwrite previously downloaded files with it's miniscule thumbnail version of folder.jpg or even having to delete stupid front_cover.tvixie's after the whole process. Throw in XBMC with OpenSubtitles_OSD and I can also get the subtitles EMM reported as missing without too much hassle.

Now all I have to do is find out which scraper handles TV Series best and figure out how I can force the mede8er to look at my freshly made #_about.jpg's, as mine does not pick up on the first alphabetical .jpg automatically or logically.

Hi mate

that ember media manager looks fantastic!

would it be too much trouble to ask if you could possible create a simple guide on howt o use ember with themede8er?

Offline vuilnis

• B8a Tester
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »
I will try.

My setup is like this:

\Movies\
\Movies\=action
\Movies\=action\Crank\
\Movies\=action\Crank\#_about.jpg
\Movies\=action\Crank\Crank (2006).nfo
\Movies\=action\Crank\Crank (2006)-fanart.jpg
\Movies\=action\Crank\Crank (2006).tbn
\Movies\=action\Crank\Crank (2006).srt
\Movies\=action\Crank\Crank (2006).avi

When I started off I also used a folder.jpg, but since my mede8er has trouble showing me the first jpg in the list I thought I'd skip that file, also because most of my folders already contained the .nfo, -fanart.jpg, .tbn and .srt, as I use it with xbmc also.

I did the settings according to the added screenshots. I read somewhere that the new firmware doesn't give a preview on picturefiles above 500 kb but I haven't checked to see if thats really the case yet. If it is to give a problem, of course you can lower the quality settings. [edit: it does, so you should change settings so that your files stay just under 500 kb for the dimensions you want]

When the base directory is added, you can update the library to see which files are already available. I prefer to work on no more then 30 movies per go, as I tend to loose track. So I work per genre-directory and then mark these files, but if you got everything under one folder, you can also filter on genre at the bottom of the screen. In order to do so, EMM first has to know which films it is working with, so you have to scrape first. This can be done by the "scrape media" button at the top. Under this button you'll find different choices of scraping, you can do all in one go, but this can take forever.

After scraping I check whether EMM has found the correct movies, sometimes they can be a bit obscure and hard to find. If it didn't find the right one you can try again by right-click/change movie. If you still got trouble check to see if the folder name is <movie> (year).

I myself then look for which films I haven't got subtitles yet and get them with xbmc and opensubtitles_osd. Then I check to see if I like the folder/fanart and if not, I choose right click/edit movie/poster/change poster (scrape) to be able to pick another if available.

After that I let EMM rename all folders (and files in is) to <movie> (year), for as far as that wasn't the case.  I do this either by right click/rename/auto or by top menu/tools/bulk renamer if I haven't got too many movies loaded.

If the scraper can't find anything on your movie, you can also extract a frame and use that as fanart. This is done via right click/edit movie/frame extraction, then enter the number of frames to extract, go to extrathumbs, then set as fanart.

As a last move I check the movies I just worked on for correct file names, I prefer files to be named .cd1.avi instead of part 1.avi, I guess to each his own...

And then I am ready to move on to a slightly tweaked TViXiE to generate my #_about.jpgs!

Hope I have been clear enough, I might have made some weird choices in other peoples eyes ;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:45:11 AM by vuilnis »
Mede8er MED500X v4b2

Offline Tiger33

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:55:44 PM »
wow what a fantastic response - thank you very much for that

thats helped me greatly but i'm still confused about how u get tvixe to bulk rename the files?

Offline vuilnis

• B8a Tester
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
If you are refering to bulk renaming the folder and all associated files, that is done by EMM:

After that I let EMM rename all folders (and files in is) to <movie> (year), for as far as that wasn't the case.  I do this either by right click/rename/auto or by top menu/tools/bulk renamer if I haven't got too many movies loaded.

TViXiE doesn't do bulkrenaming, but maybe you're thinking of another but the standard TViXiE.jpg output?

And then I am ready to move on to a slightly tweaked TViXiE to generate my #_about.jpgs!

That is done by modifying models.xml in the TViXiE folder and adding something like:

Code: [Select]
  <Model Name="Mede8er">
    <Background FileName="#_about.jpg">
      <Width>1280</Width>
      <Height>720</Height>
    </Background>
    <Folder FileName="folder.jpg">
      <Width>480</Width>
      <Height>720</Height>
    </Folder>

For me the folder.jpg bit is obsolete, as I don't let TViXiE download the cover, but use  <movie> (year).tbn that is already in my collection. For this, you also have to modify the TViXiE template a bit.
Mede8er MED500X v4b2

Offline o0SmOkE0o

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
Hi vuilnis,

can you give me some more information how you changed the template to take information from .btn or .nfo file ?
Embedded Media Manager works a lot better in scraping poster and fanart from the net.

I've made a template for TVixie to incoorporate fanart en poster jpgs into one. And would also like if tvixie would take the information from BTN of NFO files as these are beter to edit then TviXie scraping.