Author Topic: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working  (Read 50617 times)

Offline kazza61

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
Using the 800X3D.
Movie scraping still working perfectly. For trailers though I get the message to check connection. For TV, the 'Scan Folder' process doesn't even pick up the TV shows it just shows as scanning the drive letter.
As ever, any assistance gratefully received.
Thank you.

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
Re: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
600X3D - Same thing here. Movies still scraping but TV series just gives the spinning 8 logo for several minutes until it fails.

As we both have the same issue and our devices are different, I would guess the problem comes from the TVDB again. At the moment I'm doing everything manually but it has taken me several hours to create the images and series.xml files for just 9 series. Even doing that, the only thing that gets displayed are the folder and fanart images. The description, actors, etc. are not displaying, even though they are in the series.xml file.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
Mede8er are no longer active.  All the code was created by their subcontractor, who had the tools.  The last fixes where done by by an  enthusiast at the European Distributor......by patching the firmware itself with a hex editor!

Mede8er1 is trying to identify the problem. Fixing it is another issue entirely. 

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
It worked fine until a couple of days ago. As I said in my reply to kazza61, the fact that the same thing happens on 2 different models suggests the problem is not coming from the player.

It is good to know that Mede8er1 is looking into it although I fear that it may be impossible to fix unless the TVDB developer is willing to reverse whatever change he made that caused this.

I understand that we are hanging onto old technology however, all the Android boxes available don't seem to be very reliable. Indeed, I purchased one and it failed as soon as I connected it. Even worse, it took out my Bose amplifier which cost me 157 euros to have repaired.

I seriously considered the Nvidia Shield TV box but the remote control killed it for me. It might be good for most people. It doesn't work for me because I use a video projector with the sound system and player at the back of the room.

If anyone has come across a good replacement, I'm all ears!

Offline kazza61

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:49 PM »
Mede8er has been my favourite gadget ever and I appreciate all the hard work that has been done to extend its life. Hopefully it can be saved for a little longer yet but if not, I think I'll be taking the drive out of it and attaching it to my PC and share with my smart TV via Plex. The interface on that looks pretty good and operates smoothly. A friend showe me it recently

Offline loyis7

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
I am a MED600X3D owner.

Over at TVDB they are upgrading their whole api / website / forum to their new so called V3 version (check here: https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60048).

I am pretty sure that is the reason why we can no longer scrap TV Series (which uses the TVDB api).

I don't know if mede8er team can or will fix the TV Series scrap issue because the whole mede8er is a dead situation from what i have read in these forums (which is insane since mede8er was and i think is considered a very reliable media player even its years). I really hope someone from mede8er staff or someone else, does fix it though, because mede8er is a damn fine media player in my humble opionion.

I copy/paste here the TVDB V3 updates from their forums right until this point, in case anyone is interested in understanding what the problem might be and fixing it for us as well:

v3 is Live!

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am

Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed we have cutover to our new site, so welcome, welcome, we are glad you are here! API traffic for both v1 and v2 has also migrated over to our new infrastructure. At the moment the dev team is working through some issues that have come to our attention, so please be patient with us.

We are aware that some Kodi users are having a hard time scraping shows with long episode orders. We are on the case and hope to have a fix soon.

We are looking into the Genre null field as well.

We know your favorites are gone, we are migrating them over soon.

If you entered any show info into the old site in the last 24 hours, it is possible you will need to enter it in again.

If you are having any API issues, please look to the Dev forums for some common threads. And for bug reports related to the new site, please post them in the November v3 Update section and we will try to get to them as soon as possible.

--TheTVDB Team

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:48 am

UPDATE 11/15/19:

Hello all,

Thank you for your continued patience with us and your feedback. We hear you and our devs are working on solutions to some of your biggest issues.

We know the site is struggling with slow load times at the moment. We are looking into some latency issues and hope to have a fix soon.

Top of our list for the API, is why metadata isn't pulling into many media centers. We believe we have isolated the problem and it stems from older client libraries using SSL 3.0. We've made contact with many add-on developers, including PLEX with hopes to upgrade to TLS. Clearing your DNS caches would also help.

Other issues we are working on:

Wrong artwork format returned
Wrong artwork language returned
API delivering zip file discrepancies
Clients aren't handling 301s
Default language handling

Solutions that have been deployed already:

The CDATA problem should have resolved this morning, but let us know if you are continuing to see this issue.
Pagination, for many of you downloading metadata from large tv show libraries, the pagination issue should be solved.

We will continue working on fixes and giving you regular updates.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 pm

UPDATE: 11/17/19

Hello users,

We do apologize for some of our latency issues on Friday evening. We've optimized several queries and they seem to have stabilized the site.

Our developers are continuing to work on API-related issues and we are continuing to ticket your bugs on the frontend.

We've deployed the mirrors xml path

Most favorites have been deployed. However, if you are missing yours, please PM me and we will try to restore them.

We will keep you posted as more fixes go out. Thank you for your patience.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
It should be remembered that internal scraping was a later addition.  Before that scraping was done by PC/Mac tools.  Its easier to migrate such tools when the source database changes their API. 

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:02 AM »
Before that scraping was done by PC/Mac tools.

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but I'm rather old and lacking in certain PC skills. Are you saying there's a way to use independent software to scrape a hard drive which will then work with the Mede8er player, and if that is the case, which would be the simplest to use, please?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
Sorry if I sound a bit dense but I'm rather old and lacking in certain PC skills. Are you saying there's a way to use independent software to scrape a hard drive which will then work with the Mede8er player, and if that is the case, which would be the simplest to use, please?

http://mede8erforum.com/index.php?board=103.0

The may need upgrading to the latest api's by waking up the developers.   

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
Like I said, I am not technically-minded. Which is the easiest to use?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
Like I said, I am not technically-minded. Which is the easiest to use?

Only TVrename deals with TV Scrape. There are three or four which deal with movies.

Its moot which is easier if they need upgrading to work with the latest API's. 

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
Only TVrename deals with TV Scrape. There are three or four which deal with movies.

Its moot which is easier if they need upgrading to work with the latest API's.

For the moment, movies are still scraping so it's just TV series that's the problem. But like you point out, who knows when the API for movies will be altered?

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
TV Rename v2.9.6 not working. This is due to the API change at TVDB, however TVDB developers are well aware and working to solve the issues, especially where Kodi is concerned. See the red warning at the top of their forum https://forum.kodi.tv/.

Offline Spike30

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »
will the tv serie scrape work again in the future or can it not be fixed?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
TV Rename v2.9.6 not working. This is due to the API change at TVDB, however TVDB developers are well aware and working to solve the issues, especially where Kodi is concerned. See the red warning at the top of their forum https://forum.kodi.tv/.
kodi is community software. Those who maintain it, will fix it, once the api has settled down.  Mede8er Firmware is no longer maintained. Its well past its sell by date. 

email the developers of the tools you  wish to get working.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:24:42 PM by jer1956 »