Author Topic: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working  (Read 38781 times)

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
Re: TV Scraping and Trailers seem to have stopped working
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »
email the developers of the tools you wish to get working.

TV Rename has been fixed already. There's an update to v2.9.7 and I'm running that now. So far so good but it is still taking ID data from TV Rename's database. So, I hope it will be able to get the stuff it needs from the TVDB afterwards.

Offline Spike30

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 06:06:38 PM »
so it's better to work with tv rename then because the internal scraper won't work anymore or is it just temporary?

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »
so it's better to work with tv rename then because the internal scraper won't work anymore or is it just temporary?

TV Rename is partially working. After doing everything I could with the latest release, I found that episode images were all missing. I have been downloading those from tvdb.com manually but it takes a very long time. Still, it's better than not being able to scrape at all.

There is however, some good news. According to the moderator of the TVDB forum, they do intend supporting legacy software and that would include Mede8er players. See https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=60199. As you can see, their users are furious about these changes despite the fact that their development team is working to fix all the bugs they have introduced. I believe one guy summed it up perfectly in saying "If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it."

So I come back to TV Rename and warn that should TVDB repair or rollback their API, this software will again fail to work so expect further updates with that too.

Offline loyis7

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »
There is however, some good news. According to the moderator of the TVDB forum, they do intend supporting legacy software and that would include Mede8er players. See https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=60199. As you can see, their users are furious about these changes despite the fact that their development team is working to fix all the bugs they have introduced. I believe one guy summed it up perfectly in saying "If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it."

I went on to the link you provided and read everything in that tread. (kudos to the thread starter, he was 100% correct).

If you can please answer me the following questions (i am sure alot of users as me that doesn't know much about api's, e.t.c and all that, would appreciate some info's on the matter):

1) Does that means (given the answer the Moderator gave there "The plan is to support it. See the thread: https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=60034"), then we as mede8er users, if we wait until they fix their problems with V3 api, that our mede8er is going to work again correctly as it was before,  i mean the player scraping everything concerning TV Series by itself again ?

2) Before this upgrade to V3 api over at the TVDB, i am guessing our mede8er player's were using V2 of theirs without any problem. Am i correct ? Or another version (V1 for example) ? If either of these version was the case, then why by upgrading to V3 made our mede8er's no longer can scrap any of their TV titles ?

I am not a pc/api expert so i don't understand much around api's, kodi's, e.t.c, so any insight would be GREATLY appreciated friend.

3) p.s  if you can also tell me in short what is a kodi ? and if our mede8er uses it ? That would be great.

thank you alot...

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
They are saying API3 is the default. The Med cannot be changed to  force the use of an older API. it cannot be changed....fullstop. An older API must be the default.....with those users changing to API3 adding a command to  force it.   
But the world does not work like that. Everyone changes their Web Service API thinking PC/Mac users will  get an upgrade to match. It leaves firmware devices behind. Now trailers and VideoSearchXL no longer work because of changes at  the service providers end.     

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
I may be wrong but the way I understood the comments there, they claim to be supporting all 3 API's so that legacy software will continue to work.

V3 of their API, that nobody ever asked for, appears to be only to make their website more attractive and as one user ranted, the TVDB is a database. Nobody cares whether it is pretty or not. Its purpose is for accessing the data.

It could be that the scraping option on Mede8er players will never function again but then the same thing must be happening to all other players out there that access the TVDB. Therefore, there's a fair chance that given time, our Mede8ers will begin scraping again. For the moment, they still scrape movies, and as jer1956 pointed out, a simple workaround is to use one of the many software scrapers, of which TV Rename is one.

KODI is a great tool for managing your library provided you can connect your device to your TV. It won't work with a projector AFAIK. And, as far as I can understand, KODI will not work with your Mede8er. If I am wrong about that, maybe someone can explain how it can?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
In its prime, the mediaplayer market changed chip every six months, and fixed many issues by saying upgrade to the latest player.
The market was never based on keeping a five year old model working.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:06:50 AM by jer1956 »

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
The market was never based on keeping a five year old model working.

Perhaps, but like I keep saying, there is nothing on the market I am aware of that is good enough to replace it. I'm sure I speak for many here in that I would gladly purchase a new model if it did what I need it to and had favorable reviews. Does such a beast exist, because I haven't found it yet?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
The Market has died. Every decent TV is now a Smart TV. The majority just make do with a TV's very simple UPNP bowser.

I have not given up on trailers just yet. I am looking at alternative ways to avoid youtubes restrictions.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
Youtube / videsearchXL is currently demonstrating new trailer code. 

The jukebox trailers should now be using it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:39:44 PM by jer1956 »

Offline Spike30

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 10:41:50 PM »
thanks a lot jer1956 if now the series would scrape again i would be very happy.  I also can be done with tv rename but it's a lot more work.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
The CDATA command for trailers transfers the job to html/php code on my Presto! hosted server.  I can change it to  any mechanism we can find to  do the job. 

The same is not true of scraping.

Offline kazza61

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
Good job on the trailers jer1956 - much appreciated!

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
Youtube have shifted to DASH for HD video. That  requires a web player which requests video  and audio as seperate streams.  So currently as the code requests a single video/audio file, its limited to 720p at best, and most often SD.

youtube players are hiding the extra complexity youtube  have created.  HD is played by Muxing the video  and audio together from seperate streams.  You cannot simply get a URL and use it in a HTML5 player.

Muxing needs to  be done using FFMPEG if you cannot use a youtube player. You then have to play a stream...not open a URL.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:18:25 AM by jer1956 »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »
Mede8er1 has told me that  the code is failing at the first hurdle. TVDB have changed to https for the API.  requests are made via the player SAfari WEbkit, with no support for https. 
So his testbench isn't getting as far as testing if the api fails, and why.