Author Topic: External Seagate Hard drive on USB port keeps disconnecting  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Goldpanner

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
I have a Mede8er with a WD 2tb hard drive inside the Mede8er and it was formatted by the Mede8er, anyhow it is almost full, I'm running version 2.02, so far it works perfectly no troubles.
But today I just got an external Hard drive, a Seagate 2tb, model: ST320005EXA101-RK, it is plug-n-play:) Anyhow it has the built in power management which powers down the hard drive when not being used I guess to save wear and tear and energy.
Now what my trouble is that when I'm watching a movie off of the hard drive that is installed inside the Mede8er once every 20 minutes or so on the top of the TV screen the Mede8er will say: USB Disconnected, then the external hard drives light will flash and then on my TV screen the Mede8er will say USB connected, then NAS on, then all is OK, it does this every 20 minutes, of course if I unplug the USB cable from the external drive it takes care of that but what I was wondering is if there was a way to turn off them alerts in the Mede8er?
Or will this always do this because of the power saving feature of the Seagate hard drive? I'm not too worried about it but it does get annoying seeing that pop up every 20 minutes at the top of the screen, I'm just guessing but I think when the external hard drive shuts down the Mede8er talks to it once in awhile to see if it's still there and when it does it activates the external drive to wake up and then the rebooting of all the alerts on screen again.
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me, I haven't loaded anything into the external drive yet but it is hooked up to the Mede8er all the time.

Offline Goldpanner

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: External Seagate Hard drive on USB port keeps disconnecting
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:06:04 AM »
I have a Mede8er with a WD 2tb hard drive inside the Mede8er and it was formatted by the Mede8er, anyhow it is almost full, I'm running version 2.02, so far it works perfectly no troubles.
But today I just got an external Hard drive, a Seagate 2tb, model: ST320005EXA101-RK, it is plug-n-play:) Anyhow it has the built in power management which powers down the hard drive when not being used I guess to save wear and tear and energy.
Now what my trouble is that when I'm watching a movie off of the hard drive that is installed inside the Mede8er once every 20 minutes or so on the top of the TV screen the Mede8er will say: USB Disconnected, then the external hard drives light will flash and then on my TV screen the Mede8er will say USB connected, then NAS on, then all is OK, it does this every 20 minutes, of course if I unplug the USB cable from the external drive it takes care of that but what I was wondering is if there was a way to turn off them alerts in the Mede8er?
Or will this always do this because of the power saving feature of the Seagate hard drive? I'm not too worried about it but it does get annoying seeing that pop up every 20 minutes at the top of the screen, I'm just guessing but I think when the external hard drive shuts down the Mede8er talks to it once in awhile to see if it's still there and when it does it activates the external drive to wake up and then the rebooting of all the alerts on screen again.
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me, I haven't loaded anything into the external drive yet but it is hooked up to the Mede8er all the time.

Well after a bit of research on the Seagate site they have free software for their hard drives that can manage and access the hard drives power management programming, It's called FreeAgent CN, 70mb download, install on your computer and connect your external drive and you will have all the options to play with the drive, mine was on the default setting of 15 minutes it would enter the sleep mode, so I changed it to never, you can set it to all different times and levels but I wanted the never option, I will try that for awhile and see how that works and how hot the drive gets, will post back on the results, so far no more pop ups on it disconnecting on the TV screen:) It still shuts off just like I want it to the minute I shut the Mede8er off.

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
Re: External Seagate Hard drive on USB port keeps disconnecting
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
Thank you - good to know
Questions? Please check the Mede8er Beginners Guide.

For technical assistance, please take note of the Technical support guidelines.

Ensure too that you are using the latest firmware when requesting support.