Author Topic: NAS Stutter  (Read 17717 times)

Offline pdlb

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
NAS Stutter
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »
I use a Synology DS214play NAS  to feed a MED600 in one room and a MED1000 in another.

Mostly great but I occasionally get STUTTER in a 3D action scene or playing a 1gig BD video clip.

I have a 4tb WD RED + a 2tb WD RED in JBOD.

It's not possible to up the RAM or the CPU, so I wondered if replacing the 2 HDD's with a 6tb WD RED would help ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:08:59 AM by jer1956 »

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
Re: Re: SATA 5TB / 6 TB compatibility with X3D Series
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
I use a Synology DS214play NAS  to feed a MED600 in one room and a MED1000 in another.

Mostly great but I occasionally get STUTTER in a 3D action scene or playing a 1gig BD video clip.

I have a 4tb WD RED + a 2tb WD RED in JBOD.

It's not possible to up the RAM or the CPU, so I wondered if replacing the 2 HDD's with a 6tb WD RED would help ?

I'd bet that the stutter you're experiencing isn't caused by the Raid config or the hard drives in the NAS (even configured as JBOD) as much as the network in delivering the files to your players. Your drives are terrific (I have 4 6TB Red in my NAS.) Your examples of when stutter occurs are usually directly related to bandwidth.

There are two primary components that I've found in my system to directly affect streaming performance the most and that are often mentioned by others.

One is the protocol you're using to stream. If you're defaulting to "Network," that's Samba and many people here, myself included, have found that utilizing NFS instead eliminates a lot of stuttering. Its speed and reliability are far superior than Samba's.

The other is how are you getting the files to the players? Hard-wired or wi-fi? If hard-wired, gigabit Ethernet (through at least cat 5e and preferably cat 6, and with minimal impediments like switches) is essential for stutter-free reliability. If wi-fi, there are many variables that can affect performance and each of those manifests as stutter. What protocol, n or ac? Band? Distance? Obstruction? Interference?

If both of these considerations are optimal, then troubleshooting can be isolated to more specific issues. But these two issues are the first things to look at.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:53:29 PM by K.B.Nikto »

Offline pdlb

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 01:53:57 AM »
Many thanks to K.B.Nikto for his detailed info re Bandwidth etc. Forgot to mention my use of a Netgear D6300 modem-router and Cat 5e/ Cat 6 cabling. I was using Network & Samba.

I used CUETO's "NFS on Synology Guide" to alter the NAS settings then accessed files via the NFS option under MED1000 Media Library. As Cliff at 75 in the Royal Albert Hall might sing: "The stutter has gone".

Still in awe of the old MED1000X3D. Recently bought a Beyonwiz T4 which is a great PVR, but the Media Player is not in the same league.

Offline K.B.Nikto

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:52 AM »
Glad to hear it, pdlb!

Offline pdlb

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
Had originally considered a 5/ 6tb HDD in the MED1000 to get rid of stuttering when playing a few very large BD mkv music clips.
But as I use the Synology DS214play NAS to feed a MED600 also, decided to try NFS as suggested.
Set it up and perfect.
But I spoke too soon. The next day I got FAILURE TO LOG ON dialog re NFS. I guessed that this may have something to do with lack of a STATIC IP address which I had read somewhere.
So googled around to find how to achieve this and several involved suggestions have left me quite confused.
I went to my Netgear Router & ticked USE STATIC IP ADDRESS and it showed 220.253.130.36 which is dissimilar from yesterdays 192.168.0.2.
Tried this in the MED1000 but again FAILURE TO LOG ON. Samba still works.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:46:07 AM »
Lan side and Internet Side IP's are different. You look to be forcing the Internet Side IP to static, which is not advisable. Domestic clients don't pay their ISP the extra needed for a fixed internet IP.

Lan Side fixing is done via the DHCP part of the router, device by device.

The players Samba and NFS code is different. Samba is supported by Network Discovery, and so the Workgroup list is built every time you select it. NFS probes the lan to find servers, and creates a permanent shortcut. If the client IP changes, the old NFS shortcut remains. If you use the outdated shortcut you get a login failure. You should have got a new NFS shortcut to sit along side the old one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:24:25 AM by jer1956 »

Offline K.B.Nikto

Re: NAS Stutter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
I have a QNAP NAS so I'm unfamiliar with the software from Synology. QNAP has a small program called Q-Finder that seeks out the currently assigned address of the NAS. When that is determined, I put that address in the NFS "Add Client" or "Modify Client" config and then directly access it.

This address can also be determined, though more awkwardly, from logging into the router interface.

I finally realized that once that locally assigned IP address was determined, I could assign that through the router as a static IP so that the NAS will always have that particular address.

In your situation, it may be that the NAS address has changed so the Med is waiting for the new address to be added through NFS. In that situation, if you try to access a previously added NFS client, the Med will fail because the NAS is no longer at that address.

For housekeeping purposes, any previous clients listed in the Med's NFS interface will be useless and can be deleted. If you assign a static IP to the NAS and add that to the Med, and then also delete the previous client IP addresses, from that point forward you should be able to breeze right through the process and avoid login errors because the one remaining client will always be the correct address for the NAS.

I hope this helps, pdlb.

KB

Offline pdlb

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »
Thanks for further info. The opening page of "find.synology.com" displays the IP Address as 192.168.0.8 .
Control Panel - Network - Network Interface - Lan:
Use DHCP        -   Yes
IP              -   192.168.0.8
Subnet          -   255.255.255.0
IPv6 address
Network Status  -   1000Mbps, Full Duplex, MTU1500

General - Default Gateway  -  192.168.0.1

Static Route - Static Table - LAN Table - Network Destination - 192.16.0.0  .. Gateway  -  192.168.0.8
Nothing I have tried works past one day - at best - as I shutdown my NAS overnight.
Why are three  IP Addresses mentioned ?  How do I set to Static as suggested by KB ? Are there pifalls with this course of action ?  Any Synology users around who have succeeded re NFS ?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:56 PM »
Static routes have nothing to  do  with Static DHCP allocation.  They relate to the NAT, not DHCP. 

Offline pdlb

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
I know I know nothing about networking.

If KB can achieve static NFS operation on a QNAP, is not the same possible on a Synology ?

Can somebody tell me how ?

Please.

Offline K.B.Nikto

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
Hi pdlb,

Static IP assignation is done inside your router's configuration. Instructions are specific to the model you use but those shouldn't be hard to obtain.

KB

Offline Bonifacio

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:45:38 AM »
Recognize that what you tell us makes us gain a lot of knowledge in using these knowledge.