Author Topic: Newbies tutorial for Mede8er world (600x3d / 800x3d / 1000x3d ) sartup basics  (Read 269625 times)

Offline moodybluesman

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
Oops! deleted my last post as I didn't see your reply. Yes YouTube works fine. Inside the folder is the MKV file with the same name and an xml file, which has just a line of text, no xml file is visible when viewing on my TV?
 I think I found some thing in a post from a couple of years back, not sure if that is still the same setup with the V4.0.2 I bought. but when I pressed scan I didn't receive an option to accept the T&C.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
You don't add any XML, that's the scrapers job. All users need to do is rip movies, and put them in folders. Do a Restore Default to reset the database question. Scrape (including it's XML) cannot be created if you ignored the first request not knowing what it meant.

The aim is to create a searchable Movie Jukebox, achieved by the scanning the parent folder of the collection, not scan each movie folder one by one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:40:44 PM by jer1956 »

Offline moodybluesman

That worked a treat and really brings the X3D to life. I need to read up to find out what to switch on/off/auto etc, and load my old DVDs in MKV. Thanks very much for your help, brilliant!  ;D

Offline moodybluesman

Hi,
Should the database question pop up the first time someone uses the TVDB, if so I missed that as well as TMDB, which now works great.  Will I have to restore default again to get a separate question for TVDB and do I need to download anything for TV series scrapping? All folder structures are correct as instructed with each episode manually entered which takes ages, but when I try it, it seems to give a cover image and series info but no images for episodes. If a series only ran for one season do we still need the season folder? THANKS.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Have you read the TV Series guide? It is not the same as for movies.

Offline moodybluesman

I have, but confusion sets in when it says you must accept the Terms and Conditions. It's not clear if I need to do it again after accepting the Movie scraper T&C, and it doesn't mention shows that just ran for one season, although I take it that they'll all be season 1.  If images should appear  for each episode it doesn't mention so I don't know if it's working correctly. I'll keep trying,scanning the root and each folder separately and I'll also try it in favourites, it's all good practice till I get it right.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
The declaration is for both databases. It's just to say you understand the use is optional....you have not been charged. It dosn't come as part of the cost of buying the player.

You must trigger a TV scan to get episode icons. That requires the TV Series text string to be part of the parent folder being scanned. Otherwise you get a Movie Scan.

Offline moodybluesman

Thanks, I added another couple of TV series and it's scanning just fine, well mostly, this time it's not my fault so I feel better  ;D. The problem is that TVDB just doesn't  have the images, or in some cases the episode info for some of my DVDs, mostly 1970s TV like the Capone Investment, Plays for Britain, Out, etc. I can live with that for now though as I've so many DVDs to load, hopefully someone will upload images in the future. The real pain, which I've found a few comments on, is the aspect ratio of most of my MKV files playing back in 4:3 aspect ratio no matter what the settings are at on my X3D and TV. Playing the discs on my DVD player they always go to 16:9, but on the X3D my only option is to zoom in which case I lose too much picture detail, or adjust the width on the remote every time. Is there a way round this without going through every mkv and modifying with software? 

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Is your DVD player SD? HD requires full frame with the 4/3 frame inside it. The black is not "no video", but "black video". Because HD is always full frame, they don't have clever stretching to expand HD 4/3 in the TV's. Clever stretching is not a player function, it's an SD mode in the TV, even with your DVD player. To trigger that mode in your TV, you must force SD out of the player using the TV Sys button, as required.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:25:43 AM by jer1956 »

Offline moodybluesman

Thanks for explaining about the black video, I did'n't know that. My DVD is a high spec. Toshiba HD player connected to a Sony 40" with an HDMI. This set up always plays back to fill the screen with the option on the TV for smart, wide or Zoom (more options when watching TV bypassing my DVD player) but it's never 4:3. I've found the best picture setup for viewing these old TV shows is to stretch the width of the picture with the X3D remote, leaving the height as standard. If there was a memory or even a shortcut to this it would be great but it's no big deal, so long as everyone is in the same boat and I'm not missing a simple solution. 

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Zoom has two storable settings. Pick one, change Width, and the result is stored. You get the same width setting every time you chose that stored setting.

Offline moodybluesman

Thanks, I'll play with that and my TV settings to get the best results, but it's no great hardship to change manually and that way I'll be sure I'm getting the best outcome for each show.
I'll soon be loading my music DVDs and as there won't be an interactive menu for song/artist selection, and scraper can't work with these DVDs, I was wondering what my options are. Make mkv will convert and copy chapters to the start of each music video but without a menu or scraped info it'll be a pain. Would my best option be to scan the DVD cover track listing and add the jpeg to the folder? At least that way I could press menu, look at the displayed image, pick the video number I want to watch e.g. track 12 and just skip and count to the track. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated as I have over 100 music DVDs to copy and I would like to get it right. Sorry to be a pest, but I'm learning this technology as I go :P

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Music DVD's are best handled as a seperate Movie Jukebox. Music jukebox is for ripped Cd and downloaded tracks.

There is an iso player which runs the menu system on the disk. Are they dvd in burnable iso form?

Offline moodybluesman

Yes and no, I think. They are all on DVD, 3 types - official releases - downloads to discs from exchange sites (both with interactive menus) and my own TV compilations from VHS conversions on a DVD/VHS/HDD where each track has a menu link painstakingly typed in with the player remote, what a nightmare that was. Anyway things have moved on now and armed with a just a laptop and Make MKV I'm really happy with my work and the X3D so far on movies and TV series, but I suspected this would be a stumbling block. I know this is not a technical detailed response but an idiots guide would be great. What would you do in my shoes? 

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
One persons "Idiots Guide" becomes another's "Do you really think i am that stupid?" guide. It's difficult to get a balance. Even when we give answers we can trigger the latter response from some users.