Author Topic: Makemkv - Extract 3DBDISO to MKV - lots of benefits  (Read 192908 times)

Offline ZzBloopzZ

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: Makemkv - Extract 3DBDISO to MKV - lots of benefits
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »
I have started using tsMuxer to ISO since I noticed the subtitles look more "3Dish" with tsMuxer compared to MakeMKV. Plus, it is free! Looks like this information is posted at the end of the first post of this thread.

I use all default settings and just select the Video (Must select both AVC and MVC video) then the english soundtrack/subtitle I want. Output to ISO and boom you are done!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:56:30 am by ZzBloopzZ »

Offline docbill

• B8a Tester - X3D Movie Scraper
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-1
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2015, 03:20:13 pm »
Now that all the extended editions of the Hobbit are out, I took my first journey into 3-D movies by buying the 3-D extended edition set.   I don't own a 3-D TV, and I am blind in one eye.   So my wife and son have been testing for me with coloured glasses.

The first think I noticed is on a 3-D disc all the titles are labeled as MVC by MakeMKV, but most are not.   If I try to make them viewed in 3-D anyway, the Mede8er gets confused and displays absolute garbage...

Next I noticed horrible stuttering when attempting to play 3-D movies ripped with Makemkv directly.  A 31 GB file simply does not stream well across the network.   My past tests showed plugging in a disk to the Mede8er does no better than across my network.  It the bitrate is too high, it will still stutter.

So I needed a way to compress the 3-D movies.   My first attempt was of course to process them the same way I do 2-D movies, which is MakeMKV and then Handbrake.   The results look absolutely stunning.   Unfortunately, the results are just 2-D.

Solution:  BDtoAVCHD.   This is one of the few programs I can find that can reencode MVC movies and leave them as MVC.   So I don't have create both a 3-D and a 2-D version of the movie, and the movie can be reduced to a more managable bitrate.   Now it turns out there are a few tricks I had to learn to get it right.

1. When BDtoAVCHD recognizes a 3-D movie, it will show a 3-D logo.   It turns out BDtoAVCHD will never recognize a MKV as 3-D.   So instead of ripping with MakeMKV I need to rip with DVDFab.
2. Once you have a 3-D movie loaded, click on the 3-D movie and select MVC output.   This will automatically change the output to BD-25.
3. In most cases BD-25 will do no additional compression.  If you select a lower bitrate, it will simply be ignored.   So you need to select AVCHD BD-9.
4. Often the bitrate auto selected is too low.  If you try and use too low of a bitrate your results will not be playable, or even copyable.   I use at least 12000, and that seems to work.
5. Once you have the ISO file created by BDtoAVCHD, mount it and use MakeMKV to convert it to an MKV.

The final movie will be smaller for at least two reasons:
1. You probably used a bitrate that reduced the quality.
2. Your audio was probably down converted to DTS Core.   Unless you have a really good receiver and speakers, you won't know the difference...

If you want afterwards you can try using mkv tools to swap around tracks from the raw file, or do different audio conversions.   In my tests I find VLC can play the movies fine in 2-D.   The mede8er seems to be able to play the 3-D.    The windows 10 film player app fails to output any of the audio...

I have not done complete testing, or even just sat down to watch the movies I ripped in 2-D, since that is what I can see.  My main goal here was to future proof myself, so I don't have to dig the discs and re-rip them if your next TV is a 3-D TV...

I would appreciate comments on other ways to do effectively the same thing, as I find this conversion is horrible slow, and I don't really like using bitrate encoding instead of quality factor encoding.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:46:56 pm by docbill »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +190/-53
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2015, 05:51:55 pm »
Lots of people successfully stream and play 3g ISO or mvc mkv. You have to separate network stutter from clock stutter. Turning on Bd menu creates lots of clock issues for bd rips.

Offline Hotrod

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2016, 06:47:44 pm »
MakeMKV files not showing in 3D ( Mede8er 600X3D )

This maybe a little off topic but still relevant to some forum members here.

I have produced my first batch of 3D MKVs from MakeMKV. All play superbly in 2D.
However the 3D option on the 600X3D is not present except for ď 3D red/cyan SBS or T-B ď.

Now, on plugging the HDMI output directly into my Plasma 3D Display I get the full 3D menu and full 3D playback, but of course no HD Surround audio.

I therefore conclude that the issue is with the HDMI handshake between the 600X3D and my AVR ( Denon 4308 ). Ie my AVR is saying that it is not 3D capable.
The AVR predates 3D although it is very full HD capable, having had it working extremely well in 3D on other media boxes ( eg Dune ). Itís just that it cannot produce the correct HDMI handshake !

My question is then :

1. Can the 600X3D be forced to output normal 3D, overriding the AVR handshake response ?

Or alternatively

2. Does anyone know of a HDMI box that can sit between the 600X3D and my AVR that will produce the correct handshake and will enable the 600 to deliver full HD to the AVR. A possible additional alternative is a box that will spit the video and audio into separate HDMI outputs ?

Any suggestions would be welcome, naturally I would not want to replace a very capable AVR !

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2016, 08:52:25 pm »
That's interesting to me that 3D works with the Dune player and the 4308. I had a 4308 but had to either use a BD player with two outputs (one to the set, one to the AVR) or, for files, use an HDMI splitter so audio would go to the AVR and video to the 3D set or projector. The splitter was cheap, perhaps $20 from Amazon and it worked great. I never experienced a handshake confusion, though I believe I had to restart the AVR when wanting to watch 3D.

Offline RythmDivine

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2016, 01:48:09 pm »
MakeMKV works great on extracting 3D Blu-ray disc to MKV, but it does not work for BD ISO so far. So I turned to ByteCopy, another lossless MKV backup tool I find online, what I like best is it copies my Blu-ray to MKV with multiple languages.

Negative. I have just used MakeMKV to extract three 3D BD-ISOs in the last 3 hours.

Offline docbill

• B8a Tester - X3D Movie Scraper
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-1
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:18 am »
1. When BDtoAVCHD recognizes a 3-D movie, it will show a 3-D logo.   It turns out BDtoAVCHD will never recognize a MKV as 3-D.   So instead of ripping with MakeMKV I need to rip with DVDFab.

I made the mistake of updating DVDFab not realizing the newer versions no longer rip blu-ray for free.   I tried a couple of other free rippers, but none I have tried so far maintain the 3-D structure in a way BDtoAVCHD recognizes.   For now I'm using the free trial of passkey.  That gives me about 30 days to find a new free program or to buy something.   I really wish I could simply use makemkv for 3-D movies...

Offline bergercliff

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2017, 03:36:29 am »
Infact, ISO is not a video file, you need to find the video format like VOB in the ISO folder, and then convert .vob to MKV, MP4 etc.
I use iDealshare VideoGo to achieve this task: https://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/convert-iso-to-mkv.html