Author Topic: No audio when Hi codecs  (Read 16557 times)

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
No audio when Hi codecs
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
Hello,

I just unboxed and plugged in my MED1000X3D. I bought it specifically for 3D as I am using a Dune Base 3 for non-3D material.
At first it rejected everything I throw at him. It ran v.1.0 FW out of the box.
So I upgraded it to the latest 1.0.3 beta available.
Now it does show the picture, in 2D, but there is no sound at all. Instead I got some pops and noises through my speakers.
To be frank, I didn't expect much of the Mede8er, despite all the hype. But not to that extent.
Just a few words about my system.
The Mede8er is connected to an Anthem Statement D2v 3D HDMI v.1.4 port. The HDMI cable is a High-Speed v.1.4. The projector is a Epson EH-TW9000 (3D) (equivalent to a US 6010 reference).

So, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:42:43 PM by xtrips »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: No 3D
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »
List the settings you have in setup  for video  and audio.  It relies heaviliy on CEA-EDID being communicated from the surround amp. Sending that out correctly does seem  an issue for more esoteric kit. Some makers know that and will "add" new clients to their firmware. Seems a lot of work   when mainstream kit seems to do  this with no problem.

Esoteric kit seems to work on the basis that you send out what you like..and it will play it.  EDID is the opposite..the source won't send much of anything out if dosn'tr get an edid from the amp saying what it supports.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:25:27 PM by jer1956 »

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
List the settings you have in setup  for video  and audio.  It relies heaviliy on CEA-EDID being communicated from the surround amp. Sending that out correctly does seem  an issue for more esoteric kit. Some makers know that and will "add" new clients to their firmware. Seems a lot of work   when mainstream kit seems to do  this with no problem.

The 3D HDMI ports on my D2v pre-pro are set to passthrough. Can't be otherwise for 3D. So I do not have any control on the settings of that port such as EDID. And on the Mede8er end i don't reckon I saw any settings pertaining to EDID too.
So if as you say the symptom described makes you think there is a handshake problem, then how shoud I address this issue?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
You won't see any X3 settings pertaining to EDID. It's automatic to make the need for settings irrelevent.   HDMI amps though do need settings.They can either passthough the displays CEA-EDID to a source..or add their own CEA-EDID containing it's audio codec  information to the displays basic screen info EDID.  So you  have to have some setting which  controls that.

Of course..if everything is manual..then you  won't have any EDID control as EDID isn't used.

We had a post on one of these before...but a HDMI 1.3 version:-
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=km1lmc8jjakbtrcgeiu08nlea3&topic=6016.0

Still..it has a history of EDID issues..and not just with the Sanji products.

The advice was then contact Anthem..they shouldn't be at all surprised you might have an EDID issue.  They can afford to buy an X3 and make it work...given you a modded firmware as a result.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:51:38 PM by jer1956 »

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:09 PM »
xtrips

Can you pls do a EDID of your system and mail it to us

1) Create a folder with name "hdmi_test_dora129.3" on a USB stick (in the root), and plug it into Mede8er
2, Connect the Mede8er to amp via HDMI, and set the audio mode of Mede8er to (HDMI passthrough)
3, Enter the Home Page on the Mede8er and ENTER number '1025'
4, You will see messages displayed on the TV, and a file will be written to the folder "hdmi_test_dora129.3" on usb disk.
5) Mail the contents of the folder "hdmi_test_dora129.3" to technical@mede8er.com

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Thanks for all the interesting answers.
I fear some of them might already be irrelevant.
After reading a bit in the manual I just disabled the BD Menu and the 3D started to work from BD ISOs.
But the audio problem remains.
Here are some more details:

- Audio settings on the Mede8er are:
      *HDMI Passthrough
      *TrueHD etc...
- Audio works for lower codecs such as DTS or DD
- Higher codecs such as DTS-MA or DTHD won't work. I just hear pops and scratches that could easily harm my speakers if I didn't put the volume very low.
- The higher codecs won't work from any format. BDMV, BD ISO, 3D or not.

Just let me know if the debugging procedure you mentioned is still relevant for my problem and I will do it.

Thanks

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
xtrips

1) Create a folder with name "hdmi_test_dora129.3" on a USB stick (in the root), and plug it into Mede8er
2, Connect the Mede8er to amp via HDMI, and set the audio mode of Mede8er to (HDMI passthrough)
4, You will see messages displayed on the TV, and a file will be written to the folder "hdmi_test_dora129.3" on usb disk.
5) Mail the contents of the folder "hdmi_test_dora129.3" to technical@mede8er.com

Mede8er1

It didn't work. My USB drive is formatted with NTFS. Do you require FAT maybe?

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
xtrips

Mede8er1

I tried with FAT32. This time I got the screen all right. I just waited and nothing else happened so I just pressed a button to go back to the home screen. No file was written on the USB drive.

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
Re: No audio when Hi codecs
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »
xtrips

Have not tried NTFS stick so dont know if this would work or not. We normally use FAT32 sticks. Did you make a folder  "hdmi_test_dora129.3" in the root of the USB stick?

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
Read the user Guides

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
xtrips

Have not tried NTFS stick so dont know if this would work or not. We normally use FAT32 sticks. Did you make a folder  "hdmi_test_dora129.3" in the root of the USB stick?

Mede8er1

I did. Without the double quotes, of course, and FAT32 formatted.
Any suggestion?
Maybe the info screen should disappear by itself? How long should I wait?

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
xtrips

I think you need to wait some time as the EDID is not written to the flash drive immediately. If I remember you should get a screen confirmation once the file is written.

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
Read the user Guides

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
xtrips

I think you need to wait some time as the EDID is not written to the flash drive immediately. If I remember you should get a screen confirmation once the file is written.

Mede8er1

5 minutes with a still screen of the EDID info is enough, I guess. And nothing was written to the drive.
Could you check if your instructions are correct and complete?
BTW no confirmation screen came.

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
xtrips

Instructions are correct. You can try to press 'Enter' when you get the EDID info on screen and see if this helps you.
Maybe you must re format your stick with this utility http://www.chip.de/downloads/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool_23418669.html and try again.

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
Read the user Guides

Offline xtrips

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
xtrips

Instructions are correct. You can try to press 'Enter' when you get the EDID info on screen and see if this helps you.
Maybe you must re format your stick with this utility http://www.chip.de/downloads/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool_23418669.html and try again.

Mede8er1

I used the utility. It didn't work either.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:11 AM »
Alternative way to make the mentioned dump:

1) Create a folder with name hdmi_test_dora129.3 on a USB stick (in the root), and plug it into Mede8er
2, Connect the Mede8er to AMP/TV, > (please use HDMI), and set the audio mode of Mede8er to (HDMI passthrough)
3, Now play a movie on the Mede8er and ENTER number '0'
4, Now you will see that the usb stick starts flashing and writing the dump in the dora folder. Wait some minutes before unplugging the usb stick, don't pull it when it is still flashing

If this does not work, then it must be somehow usb stick related.
Then please try an alternate usb stick.
Also be sure that you created exactly the folder name on the stick as mentioned above.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.