Author Topic: A LOT of movies plays to fast  (Read 9417 times)

Offline starovabove

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
A LOT of movies plays to fast
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
Another problem with this cra**y machine. I like it less for each day..There wasn't any such problems like this with my Boxee Box.

So a lot of my mkv movies plays to fast. Do I really need to change the fps manually for EACH movie or is there another way around it? How can I prevent this in the future, is there anyway to see if the movie is gonna play to fast before I put it on it's harddrive?

I would really like a new a new firmware that can fix this problem for my MED500X2

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: A LOT of movies plays to fast
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »
You might consider to find a better source for your rips as it seems you don't make them yourself and the ones you get it from make bad quality rips....
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline starovabove

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »
Yeah maybe..thanks for the answer.

off topic; do you know how I can change the icons? I've seen some people have a "HD" icon for their movie map

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
Those HD icons are included in the Y2M bundle that you can find here:
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,8000.0.html

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Another problem with this cra**y machine. I like it less for each day..There wasn't any such problems like this with my Boxee Box.

So a lot of my mkv movies plays to fast. Do I really need to change the fps manually for EACH movie or is there another way around it? How can I prevent this in the future, is there anyway to see if the movie is gonna play to fast before I put it on it's harddrive?

I would really like a new a new firmware that can fix this problem for my MED500X2

The issue is where dealing with the codec logic..not firmware.  Different makes of chips have different tolerences to non standard media. If the media where non transcoded DVD or bluray iso's then every mediaplayer should play them. Once they have been transcoded, largely by PC users, you cannot gurantee that they will play on every make of chip. A lot of rubbish rips only play using VLC on a PC.

Offline starovabove

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Okey, thanks Maasbommel. Is there any way to use your own icons in MED500X2? Because the Y2M version you linked is older than the one I already use. Do I have to downgrade it to get new icons? It would be nice if you could use your own setup of icons..

I'm gonna read gonna read some more about codecs and how everything works  ;) Thanks for the correction Jer1956

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Re: Re: A LOT of movies plays to fast
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
You can use the same template in that package together with the icons in there. If you change the icons then you have what you want.

Offline starovabove

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
Okey thanks again for the answer. But I have another problem I need help with. I try to use transmission on my MED500X2 and it doesn't work as it should. I've downloaded some movies but I get very slow speed and a lot of "connection failed"? It's not my connection that is the problem..Utorrent on my computer works perfect and I have high speed there.

Thanks in advance!

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
Try changing the DNS server option in Setup.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Re: Re: A LOT of movies plays to fast
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Also open the torrent port number in your router....

Offline Ottobrunfels

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
Every person like to see movies more than their important work. So at  present, this movies are going on so faster, that why people could not put movies on hard drive.when people try put their movies on different kind of parts then they will success to them. We have to collect those movies to  put some where because of their going fast.

Offline Whirlinurd

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49:30 AM »
Hi.

Movies playing too fast or fast forwarding does not have anything to do with non standard rips. It's how the player reacts to the media inserted. If there's a problem the media file it uses a variable framerate instead of a constant framerate. This has been a problem with the realtek chips since the beginning. So the information of the media file probably states that the media has a framerate of 0 fps and tries to play it as fast as possible.

The problem lies within the realtek chips but they just claim it is a problem with non complient media. And the same discussion exists for the creation of x264 and they say a variable framerate is a complient media standard. So in the end realtek players are not fully compatable.

Why it isn't fixed over the years I don't know. I don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon. Realtek will not review a whole chip design just for a minor flaw. I always hoped for a software hack or patch within the firmware but that did not happen yet.

The trick I use is when the remote has a slow motion and pause function. Press pause and then for several times more until it skips a few frames forward. Then press play again. It seems to read the correct framerate and plays normally.

Not all players have slow motion on the remote. I use the goto fuction and skip to one or two seconds into the movie. Instead of the beginning and it plays normally too.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »
There are more topics around this you can find using the search opiton of the forum, e.g.:
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,8097.0.html

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »

The problem lies within the realtek chips but they just claim it is a problem with non complient media. And the same discussion exists for the creation of x264 and they say a variable framerate is a complient media standard. So in the end realtek players are not fully compatable.

There are only two makes of chips in players. Your argument would be like a Game Maker producing a PC game which dosn't work with Nvidia or AMD Radeon, and then say users should complain to the chip makers. The miliions with those chips would  just say..what chips where you testing the code with to  end up in this situation?

MKV is a badly developed set of tools.  The concept of "rollout" is non existent. They should have put the thousands of users with realtek and sigma hardware players first..and not "changed" the standard literaly overnight to produce new tools which now creates problem media..and blame the chip makers for not being "complient" with a standard they had no influence over. This is why ISO standards take years to approve..even if the actual core software technology changes little after it's first inception.

Offline Whirlinurd

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
Hi.

In the graphics sector things are more related to each other. Top game makers get the latest sdk from the manufacturers of graphics chips so that the games are working correctly with the released hardware or platforms. They want to get as much of profit from there products. Game makers want to sell games and the chip manufacturers want to sell the newest graphics cards with those games.

It's not the chip designers fault at all. As you say they only make a assessment as how the current standard will look like with the media decoders and containers that are available. Mkv isn't the problem as it's a container. Mkv could contain all kinds of different streams in theory just as avi and others.

The codec x264 has the option to use a variable framerate and it gives a more fluent playback but it's not within the current standard at the moment. Bluray discs that are coded with h264 - the commercial version of x264 - also still has a constant framerate as the standard.

If I want to choose between a variable framerate or a constant one I will still choose for variable for my own backups as it's just a bit better also with the hickups that exist at the moment. But I still believe that a workaround within the software/firmware is possible to get it better. Just let the software do a playback skip back to the media start until it detects the starting framerate. Maybe somekind of retry function in the settings of the newer mede8er players.

It all depends if it will be accepted a bug report and get some attention.