Author Topic: DLNA DMR  (Read 16275 times)

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
DLNA DMR
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
I have troubles with the DLNA DMR functionality. Hope you can help me.

Firmware: 2.0.7

Objective: to control the 450X2 from my Android tablet with BubbleUpnp (as suggested by Jer1956) --> play on my receiver that is connected by the optical output. This way I dont need the TV to choose my music to play.
I have installed BubbleUpnp and initially it worked. I saw on the left the Upnp renderer and on the right I could choose the Mede8er library. But since a few days the Mede8er library doesnt show up anymore. The other things still work ok:
- i see the Realtek Upnp renderer
- when i switch on my Philips TV it appears in BubbleUpnp as renderer
- the Mede8er library is accesible as a network share from all Windows PC and also from my Android.

My Philips tv can also function as DLNA renderer and also doesnt show anymore the Mede8er library. It does show the BubbleUpnp-library with the files on my Android (but that is not what I want).

Since I have seen it work I have tried varies things: shutdown, no connection with electricity for 30 sec's , etc.

Every suggestion to get it to work again helps.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: DLNA DMR
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
Have you already tried to set the DMR option under mede8er setup to off and then to on again?
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
Another free DMR player on Android that I found works pretty good:
UPnPlay
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:40 am »
Switch DLNA/DMR on/off: yes, i have tried that.
Later i wondered if it isnt a disk security issue: i have recently connected the 450X2 to another windows PC. When i tried to connect to the data on the 450X2 it said 'you dont have access rights, click Ok if you want to have access' Of course i said OK, since that was the purpose of connecting the 405X2 to that PC (wanted to convert many files from wav to flac).
Is it possible to indicate what the security settings must be (i know how to change these).

Another Upnp player: i will certainly try that, but i dont think that is the main problem:
- on my TV the 450X2 library doesnt show up either as a DLNA library
- when it did work a few days ago --> i could also see the 450X2 library on the 450X2 itself --> netwerk, Upnp option

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:53 am »
@Maasbommel: it works now.

Inspired by your answer I have started new actions:
- on the 450X2 setting menu: switch Upnp off and then again on
- on my (Netgear) router: switch Upnp support off and then again on
- on the router: increased the 'hop' number (advertisement) from 4 tot 6

Since I did it all together I dont know which was the decisive action.

Anyway, thnx for your quick reply.

Offline dewvil

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:24:45 am »
@Bastiaan57

I experience the same problem as you, the Upnp server (Mediatomb) showd up initially, and then after a while disappeared. I tried finding it using BubbleUPNP as well as 2Player, but both could not find it.

Now, if I switch the Upnp off and on again, the server reappears, however the moment I restart Mede8er, the server disappears again. In other words, everytime I restart the Mede8er, I first have to switch the Upnp off and on again.

Furthermore, some times while playing music using Upnp, the Mede8er would suddenly stop responding. The music would continue playing, but it does not respond to input from my phone. If I press stop on the Mede8er remote, it would stop, but then a blank screen would appear and the Med8er stops responding at all. After this I would have to unplug the Mede8er to get it working again.

@Maasbommel, maybe you can help me out on this?

I have a 500X2 with internal HDD, and a Sony Xperia Ray Android ICS phone, all connected with a Fritz Box ADSL router. I have an automatic IP, and don't really understand DNS server stuff, though I might be able to figure out how to program it on my router..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:05:09 pm by dewvil »

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »
@dewvil
Was on a holiday, so couldn't try it earlier. But yes no. 1 -> upnp on/off does the trick. And yes no. 2: you must do this everytime you switch on the Mede8er. Besides that: you have to do this (in my case) before you start the Bubbleupnp app, otherwise you can see the library but you get a connection error. In that situation you must restart the app.

In any case: I'm very glad to have it work now. Let's hope that in a next firmware version there is solution for the upnp on/off switching.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +189/-52
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:56:25 pm »
It isn't universal.  My upnp keeps rebooting in the on position after being used by Bubbleupnp. Prior to being used by bubble it dosn't.

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:01 am »
Update: after some 2 weeks experience

As @dewvil stated: I now also have the experience that at some point in time the Mede8er doesnt respond anymore to the control from the tablet. The music stops and the Mede8er also doesnt react anymore. It happens after 3 songs, 5 songs and sometimes after 10+ songs --> very random. You have to unplug the unit to get it operational again.

This makes for me the control from the tablet pretty unusable (and I really love it --> playing the music as a DJ from the Mede8er hard disk to my receiver/sound system, without the need for the TV-set or the Mede8er remote control).

So imho there are 2 main issues regarding this subject:
- critical: Mede8er stops responding during playback
- not nice/annoying: everytime you start the Mede8er you have to switch on the TV to set Unpnp-server Off and then again On; after that you see the library on your tablet
@Jer1956: I dont know what you mean with 'not universal' --> isnt it logical that Upnp server is On at startup if you have left it On during shutdown? I dont think Bubbleupnp can change that setting.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +189/-52
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
@Jer1956: I dont know what you mean with 'not universal' --> isnt it logical that Upnp server is On at startup if you have left it On during shutdown? I dont think Bubbleupnp can change that setting.

....and yet that is my experince.  It's status is being changeed though the use of bubble..and then the On" setting dosn't vanish.  So it's not the setting itself it changes....more like the status change stops the server itslef changing the ON setting to OFF..which is the real issue everyone has to start with. 

Offline dewvil

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:21:41 pm »
@Bastiaan57, I changed my network settings to a fixed IP setup, in other words, I setup my router assign a fixed IP for Mede8er and then manually entered the IP address in the Mede8er in the Wireless network setup. Ever since then it seems like the Mede8er now registers as a Upnp server when I restart it, without me first having to toggle the Upnp server setting on and off again. Furthermore, it seems more stable during playback as well. I sometimes still have problems during playback, however this seems to happen whenever my phone temporarily lost its Wifi connection (I do not have good wifi reception in some part of my house).

It seems that the problem is that that the Mede8er and/or phone struggles to restore Upnp functionality the moment either loses connection to the network. Since the BubbleUpnp app on the phone continuously refreshes its list of Upnp servers and renderers (I can see on the phone immediately when the Mede8er 'comes online'), it seems that it is the Mede8er that loses Upnp functionality the moment changes in the network occurs. I have to add that even before switching to a manual IP network setup, I think (but I'm not 100% sure), the Mede8er was anyway being assigned the same automatic IP by the router.

@Jer1956: At first, whenever I rebooted the Mede8er, it also had Upnp setting set to "ON", but the it even though Upnp was supposedly "ON", it did not register as a server on my BubbleUPNP. The problem is not universal probably due to differences in your setup, can you maybe share differences in especially your network setup? Do you have a fixed IP assigned to your Mede8er?

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:51 pm »
@dewvil
You are a genius! It works too with me. I had already reserved a fixed IP-address by my router, but I had DHCP enabled on the Mede8er. And as you said: after changing to the fixed IP-option the Mede8er shows up immediately in Bubbleupnp after startup.
Next week I will post my experiences regarding the (possible) improvement of the stability during playback.

As a sideline. I also use an old (Windows) laptop that is connected to my sound system and has access to the Mede8er data. On this laptop I have installed VLC mediaplayer. On my Android tablet I have installed VLC-remote. Works very nice, with similar functionality as the Bubbleupnp solution. The only 'problem' is the sound of the fan of the laptop, so I really prefer the Bubbleupnp solution.

Offline oawinkel

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 07:43:50 am »
As @Bastiaan57 and @dewvil stated: I also have the experience that at some point in time the Mede8er doesnt respond anymore to the control (a windows 7 laptop and a smart phone). The music stops and the Mede8er also doesnt react anymore. It happens after 3 songs, 5 songs and sometimes after 10+ songs. Sometimes before at the start of the firts song --> very random. You have to unplug the unit to get it operational again.

Offline Bastiaan57

• B8a Tester - X2
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »
I have been trying for some time now to get the Bubbleupnp-Mede8er connection stable. But I have now given up. As @oawinkel stated: sometimes 1 song, sometime 5 songs and sometimes 30 songs. But in general: many times the player stops when skipping to the next song. And then you have to unplug to get it operational again
I have changed parameters in Bubbleupn, in my router, etc.. But as stated: it keeps being unstable. Don't get me wrong: I am a very satisfied 450X2 user. Only this issue is very annoying because 'managing' my music through my tablet does add so much value for me!

So: if somebody has it working on a stable basis, plz post here your settings!

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +94/-21
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »
Bastiaan57

I have asked our engineers to merge the new and updated DNLA DMR code from X3 into X2. The new DNLA DMR is a lot more stable and we just need to wait and hope that they are successful in doing this. They are busy with X2 update at the moment.

Mede8er1 

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm