Author Topic: resolution only at 720p on Optoma hd 20  (Read 4884 times)

Offline afarnedi

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
resolution only at 720p on Optoma hd 20
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
Hello there!
I hope someone can help me as I'm getting really frustrated by this issue as the 1080p option was my choice driver for the mede8er500x2 (I owned a ATV2 with no 1080p support of course...).
This is my system
Optoma HD20 full hd
amp Denon AVR1910
Mede8 with 206 already reflashed several times in emergency mode.
I just had few times the complete video res option up to 1080p but now only 480p 560p and 1080p60hz.
Is there any option I miss in my amp maybe? I've read some posts ago of a friend wiht an Onkyo and very similar problem and he fixed it setting the video to "source" and not passthrough...I don't think I have same options in my amp.
please help me, 1080p was the only reason for buying it!
tia
Andrea
ps: I've a ps3 connected to Optoma and it works like a charm at 1080p.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: resolution only at 720p on Optoma hd 20
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
The X2 will stick to the CEA-EDID resolutions it's told are supported by the HDMI device it's connected too.  So the problem is probbly the amp which only has 1080i certified switches, and that is reflected in the EDID it outputs, even if the display supports 1080p. You need to check out a Denon forum, and see what needs doing to pass on the edid.

Devices which don't use EDID can output what they like, and you decide if what you see is acceptable.

P.S. The fact it's stuck on 720p makes me think this is a HDMI HDCP (Copy protection) problem. If the X2 does not get HDCP confirmation it will not output 1080i/p. Many office type projectors don't supprt HDCP, nor PC monitors. Many that do don't handshake it well enough. You might need to test with the X2 connected directly to the projector.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:49:15 AM by jer1956 »

Offline afarnedi

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
The X2 will stick to the CEA-EDID resolutions it's told are supported by the HDMI device it's connected too.  So the problem is probbly the amp which only has 1080i certified switches, and that is reflected in the EDID it outputs, even if the display supports 1080p. You need to check out a Denon forum, and see what needs doing to pass on the edid.

Devices which don't use EDID can output what they like, and you decide if what you see is acceptable.

P.S. The fact it's stuck on 720p makes me think this is a HDMI HDCP (Copy protection) problem. If the X2 does not get HDCP confirmation it will not output 1080i/p. Many office type projectors don't supprt HDCP, nor PC monitors. Many that do don't handshake it well enough. You might need to test with the X2 connected directly to the projector.

Hi, this is what I've done and apparently it works!
I switch on the med before anything else and then I start switching on denon and optoma; in this case I've the complete range of video resolution. I think is defenetly a HDCP issue but since I'm using a harmony one as remote I can change the order of the devices and fix the problem.

Offline afarnedi

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
HERE i am again! Unfortunately the trick of shopping the switch on order is not a consistent solution as i still have this issue. Is there any chance of bypassing this hdcp control?my optoma hd20 is supposed to be 1080p certified but so far i a bit dissapointed by the combo. Mede/optoma.. Please any help is really appreciated.
Rgds
Andrea

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Projectors seem to have more HDMI handshaking issues via HDMI amps than TV's.  Although yours PS3 connects at 1080p,  does it drop back to 720 if you play a bluray disk?  I susspose with that you connecting the video directly..and the audio via spdif to the amp.

The optima might only work with first gen HDMI 1.4 players with 2 HDMI outputs..one for the display..and the other for hdmi 1.3 amps.