Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: how to access MED500X2 through (Wireless) LAN  (Read 2607 times)
GunnarW

« on: April 02, 2012, 10:11:26 am »

I upgraded to V2.0.6 - I mounted a 2TB HD and also the wireless plugin card + antenna connection with success.
I looked in the manual but it's not so clear how to setup a (W)LAN connection.
In the settings: automatic config. (no fixed IP and DNS)
In the network settings, I set NAS on.
Seems that there must be a SAMBA setting, but it can't see in the menu.
I can listen to internetradio's.
On the PC under network I see an icon MEDE8ER. Normally by clicking on it, I should see hdb1 but an error message is generated.
Also connecting the 500X2 wired on the router/switch doesn't help. For the moment only USB transfer is possible.
Can I find somewhere a step by step procedure how to transfer succesfully files between PC and 500X2 using (W)LAN?
jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:04 am »

If you can listen to internet radio, but nothing else works..then the issue is probably the use of the wrong DNS (proxy) Server in your X2 Lan setup.

I find I have to use the default 127.0.0.1 with wi-fi, but I have to use the Routers IP with cable.  The crucial thing is both these work becuase there is a DNS (proxy) in the router. If you have no DNS Proxy then a Med (realtek) device is impossible to network.  This is usauly the case with users who  have a seperate modem and router.
GunnarW

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »

I have a router/switch provided by the Belgian telecom operator.
I don't use proxy server, manual IP and DNS settings.
Once I played with that, but the internet connection suddenly failed. So I leave everything like "it came out of the box", because making a network connection to share files becomes more and more difficult with W7 (and accessing the internet more and more easy)
I have a second mediaplayer, an EMTEC S800H where I can obtain network access on the same PC to the files of the internal HD disk. In the EMTEC, I only set on NAS and SAMBA and it worked. As it seems that the 500X2 has the same logic I set on NAS but I couldn't find the SAMBA section. In the (dutch) manual, you can read on page 12 to switch on SAMBA under network but it's not available. Or is it somewhere hidden? It's a pitty that there is no step by step explanation how to setup a simple networking connection with file sharing between player and PC.
jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:11:38 pm »

Theres is a Beginners Guide..the issue is some follow it and it dosn't work becuase "their" network has a known problem. We then have tips for sorting out those networks which most users don't need to know about.

A DNS Proxy is not the same as a Proxy ISP. There it's that actual adresses of the ISP which  are proxied. Here we are taking about have a local server for DNS "on the local network", which records local LAN IP/ network name relationships.

If you use Auto DHCP on your PC..what configuration data does your router give your for your PC connection?  Is the DNS server your routers LAN IP, or the ISP's DNS server?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:34:44 pm by jer1956 » Logged
GunnarW

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:56 pm »

Hello Jer1956,
For me, too difficult to understand what you wrote.
So I just made a very simple configuration without internet.
My MED500X2 is now connected with a LAN cable on a simple switch that doesn't need to be configured. On that switch are also two PC's connected with a straight LAN cable, both W7, automatic assign of IP and DNS. Both PC's are accessible for everyone, so I can read/write on all drives.
On both PC's under the Network icon, I also see MEDE8ER. Clicking on MEDE8ER hoping to explore the connected hard drive, there is a popup saying: Windows cannot access \\MEDE8ER - Check the spelling of the name, there might be a problem with your network bla bla bla. error code 0x80070035: the network path was not found.
So, what can I do? I think I have to enable SAMBA on the MED500X2 but where is that menu?
jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:07 pm »

It's not that simple:-
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,4014.msg27109.html#msg27109

Most people with this porlbem find it dissapers if the re-install the firmware (well they did with 4.0.4 on the X1). Otherwise when they do the auto DHCP test on their PC they are given their ISP's DNS server, and hence have no DNS proxy in their system.  Even using 127.0.0.1 then has problems  as it assume the gateway is also the next DNS server up in the chain, and anything not in it's  cache can be found via the routers IP.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:22:56 pm by jer1956 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: