Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Movies won't rewind!  (Read 3281 times)
Ahari

Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

I know it seems a bit extreme. I am a fussy fellow! I just like to have things work properly if possible. I paid a lot of money for the best player around and don't like it when things don't work as expected. (As I saw on someone's signature somewhere: "I suffer from CDO... It's like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!"). I'm not really that bad, but you get the picture (bad pun!).

I do like to use the FRew quite a lot though and if you use the left cursor to go back a bit, you do so blind. As mentioned before, my son also likes to watch some scenes backwards!!

Having said that, it seems that I will most likely end up doing as you suggested and re-rip the odd title as the need arises.

Other than this unexpected issue, mkv seems great.

MED500X2 with 2Tb drive - F/W v2.1.0 - Y2M Beta 8 r2882
jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

Helpful Contribution Status: +22/-0

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 02:39:12 pm »

The forum is community of enthusiatic owners, so  most of the information has been generated by users who had a problem, and set to find a solution. So you have a need to turn MKV back into DVD, and that information isn't here becuase no one has had that need before. So we can point you at software, and you will have to try them out. We can than add what you have learnt to the forum.
Ahari

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 03:09:29 pm »

So far, I am getting results with both Avi2DVD and DVD Flick. Both seem to be re-encoding the mkv and taking their time about it (probably partly because I am running them both at the same time on my rather old PC Roll Eyes). I have yet to find something that just does the job and fast.

Will report back if I find something better. For now I am about to give up!

I hope the developers fix the bug on Mede8er, then this problem will just disappear!

As you say, jer1956, it is a bit extreme anyway.

If anyone finds a simple solution (like a reverse MakeMKV), feel free to post it here!!

tachita_

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »

use VSO convertX  for re-author mkv to dvd  and is fast ,also with good encoding engine.... but is possible to lose chapter points .. never tried in this way

second is to exctract video and audio streams as separate files  (use MKV merge or TS Muxer / demuxer  ) and from here use TMPEG enc dvd authoring  ....
again here you'll need to recreate chapter points   ... or let software to do it automaticaly by time interval or scene detection
jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »

He really needs software which re-mux's to DVD, just as MakeMKV re-mux's to MKV. Like all things, something with minimal demand has minimal choice. There are not many options to chose from.

It would be interesting to see how rewind affects vobs!
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=131782
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:42:13 pm by jer1956 » Logged
tachita_

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:56 pm »

and yes  VSO ... has that option ...  thinking that inside streams are mpv+ mpa or ac3 ... then the dvd reauthor process will be quite fast ...
that tool is amazing regarding media analyse  ...   also , maybe latest version can read mkv header for available chapter points ... but this i really dont know  because i watch movie and that's all

to speed up process can choose bigger target size  (to avoid useles compression and thinking that final file / dvd will be burned to hdd and not to optical media)

Ahari

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36:54 am »

Thanks for your suggestions  Smiley

use VSO convertX  for re-author mkv to dvd  and is fast ,also with good encoding engine.... but is possible to lose chapter points .. never tried in this way
tachita, ConvertXtoDVD  looks great, but at $50 odd, it is a bit pricey. I'm really looking for open source or freeware. I know I'm cheap!

to speed up process can choose bigger target size  (to avoid useles compression and thinking that final file / dvd will be burned to hdd and not to optical media)
That is what I want, something to just change the container, not re-encode the whole movie.

He really needs software which re-mux's to DVD, just as MakeMKV re-mux's to MKV. Like all things, something with minimal demand has minimal choice. There are not many options to chose from.
jer1956, you got it! That is exactly what I want. And you are right, I can't find anything suitable that I can get to work.

It would be interesting to see how rewind affects vobs!
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=131782
Do you mean the resultant vobs from converting a mkv file back to vob or vobs from a straight rip from the original dvd? (I presume you are referring to the vobs you get in the Video_TS folder from a straight rip?) The vobs I have direct from original dvds seem to rewind fine.

I assume vobs are vobs no matter where they came from and when people refer to vobs, they imply Video_TS folders are involved - or have I got this all wrong! I am on a steep learning curve here, so please bear with my silly questions!

I need to do some more testing to see which formats rewind nicely - so far I think vobs (and maybe iso) are the only way to go if you want to rewind movies. I generally don't like iso as I have to wade through menus to get the movie playing.

jer1956, I already tried the very promising looking mkv2vob mentioned in that very long running thread a few days ago, but I can't get it to work! Keeps giving me the error: "Unsupported Video Codec MPEG2". Any ideas?

I haven't managed to find an answer yet - I admittedly have not spent a great deal of time trying to work it out yet as this is all very difficult for me to grasp! I will try some more later as this little program seems to be what I am looking for.

Ahari

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:59 am »

I still can't get mkv2vob to work, keep getting the same error: "Unsupported Video Codec MPEG2".

I also think it does not support multiple audio tracks, which excludes it from my list! Cry

jer1956
Global Moder8or
M8er Addict

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 02:48:06 pm »

One i'm finding is that most vob tools are old, and hence predate the common use of MKV. So MKV as input is not likely to be an option. Demuxing the MKV, and using the m2v and ac3 stream might be.

I'm trying one now called rejig, but to be honest by the time you finish it would be quicker to DVD shrink the disk again.

Rrejig will do it, but you have to demux the MKV (I used tsmuxergui  for that).

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ReJig
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:34:16 pm by jer1956 » Logged
Ahari

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 05:28:43 pm »

[Aside: Sometimes I don't understand the forum; I get a notification of a post via email, then when I click on it, the post is gone!  Huh For example, jer1956 posted that I should try playing with FAVC, but the post is not there!? ]

Anyway, thanks jer1956 for the tip (even though it disappeared into cyberspace!), I am playing with FAVC right now. Seems very nice and easy to use. Also re-encodes the movie, but it is looking like that is the only way to do it. Uses a lot of other stuff in the background, but installs it all for you in its own folders and configures it for a seamless operation. Really nice for a newbie like me! Also looks to be very powerful as the tools in the background are well respected and powerful, just confusing to use without a nice GUI like this! I think this is a keeper even though it re-encodes the mkv.

but to be honest by the time you finish it would be quicker to DVD shrink the disk again.
I agree with you. I have had a lot of fun learning all these tools and I have learnt a lot (especially about what not to do!), but I think the time has come to get on with it so I can enjoy the Mede8er!

I will check out rejig and tsmuxergui, then I will give up!

Thanks so much to everyone for your time and careful input especially jer1956. I am truly blown away.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ahari

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

Update: I gave up and decided to just stick with mkv as a format. It is just too easy to rip DVD's with MakeMKV and the conveniences of having one file per movie outweighs the one drawback of not being able to rewind the movie!

I will just wait and hope that this is fixed in the future! Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: