This only applies to firmware 2.0 or higher to access your PC from your mede8er
Be sure that your computer is configured with workgroupname: WORKGROUP
You can check/change this by going to windows control panel - click on the system icon. You will see workgroupname in the bottom of the screen.
First step: enable file sharing on Win7:
1. Control panel
2. Network and Internet
3. Network and Sharing Center
4. Change advanced sharing settings
5. Under Home and Work profile enable:
a. Turn on Network discovery
b. Turn on file and printer sharing
c. Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write in public folder
d. Use 128-bit encryption
e. Turn off password protected sharing
f. Select: Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
g. connections with home group: use user accounts with password setting, don't choose option to let Win7 control connections with homegroup.
Now goto control panel -> user accounts -> manage other accounts -> enable the guest account. (or create a new account like e.g. mede8er and give it a password if you want to use a password protected share and no guest account)
Second step: Share desired folders on your PC for the mede8er:
1. Start Windows Explorer (Not confuse with Internet Explorer)
2. Goto the folder you want to share on one of your local discs
3. Click with right mouse on the folder to share
4. Select Share with and then Specific people
5. On pull down bar select Guest and click on add button (or add the account you made above e.g. mede8er)
6. Click on button below.
Last step: Get access from your mede8er:
1. Goto the Network menu
2. Select WORKGROUP and select the Win7 PC with ok. (or add PC in Shortcut menu as described here if you don't see workgroup and pc: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=47.0
3. For user fill in: guest leave password blank and select OK or OK save to shortcut (or use the username/password you created e.g. mede8er and the password you set in this account)
Thatís it. Works like a charm without the need to change any registry setting in Win7.
To access the mede8er from your PC:
- Be sure that you have switched NAS to ON in the Mede8er setup
- On your PC open the file explorer (so not the internet explorer)
- Click on the network icon and your Mede8er will show up. Click on it to browse the content of the internal disk if you have one installed
- If you don't see it, try to type \\mede8er on the input line on the top (or if you gave it another hostname type the hostname in stead)
For those still having issues after above you can try this:
Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:
WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.
1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
6. Close the registry editor
Finally, restart your PC.
Or look at this threat: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=1409.msg10297#msg10297