Author Topic: System font.  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Lunchbox

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
System font.
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
I read in this topic by Maasbommel that it is possible to change the system font.

I copied the font I want to use (Calibri Regular) to the root of the internal HDD (\\mede8er\HDD1\) and changed the file name to 'font.ttf', but when I check the setup it only displays 'default font' (even after a reboot).

Am I doing something wrong or is this function not yet active in the current (initial) FW?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: System font.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
Thanks for not jumping in with a bug report at this stage.

I shall ask. I spent an hour proving Autoplay wasn't in the build yesterday so I'm loath to do the same with this.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
No problem, I can wait. I'd rather first ask before posting a bug report because I know the current (initial) FW is far from complete. I knew that before I bought the device so I won't complain. I think it's good though if people thoroughly test the device and post their findings on the board.

This is the first media center thingy I bought and even though there are a lot of functions still missing I am really pleased with it. I jammed a 2TB disk in it completely filled with media so I will be entertained for weeks to come. ;)

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is why there is such a low throughput when copying a file to the internal HDD over network. It has a gigabit connection (as does my PC and my router) yet it only manages to achieve a speed of ~6 MB/second. I ended up having to remove the internal HDD and connecting it directly to my computer to copy over the 2TB of data, otherwise it would have taken days and days to complete the transfer.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
I read it, but I don't understand. If it's a software limitation, why don't they just fix the software? What's the point of having gigabit LAN on-board if the software can't handle it?

I've made sure my entire network supports gigabit LAN and I've chosen the MED500X2 in part because it has a gigabit LAN connection... And I end up having to physically connect the HDD to my computer (which means opening up both devices!) just to get a decent transfer speed.

Half an hour to copy a single .mkv-file (roughly 10GB)... Crazy!

Do all modern media centers have this issue, or is this something that only occurs on MEDE8ER devices? If MEDE8ER only has this issue I will switch to a different brand and if this is a limitation on media center devices I will buy a decent HTPC instead.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
All mediaplyers use chips designed to stream, and the NAS function is available only as a consequnce of that. Those chips only come from two companies, Sigma and Realtek, and both design to that rule. The software limitation is...the hardware. It can't run it any faster.

Lan interfaces only come in three flavours,10,100 and 1000. There is a huge gap between 100 and 1000. Devices which where pushing 100 mbps "allocation" limits don't suddently jump to pushing 1000, but have to use 1000 as that's the next step up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:04:12 AM by jer1956 »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »
I read in this topic by Maasbommel that it is possible to change the system font.

I copied the font I want to use (Calibri Regular) to the root of the internal HDD (\\mede8er\HDD1\) and changed the file name to 'font.ttf', but when I check the setup it only displays 'default font' (even after a reboot).

Am I doing something wrong or is this function not yet active in the current (initial) FW?

On X2 it works a bit different then on the 500X.
I just updated my tips section:
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,5492.msg36528.html

Change system font
User-defined font support – Create a folder named Resource in the root of your Local HDD or the root of a USB flash drive or the root of a SD Card. Be carefull, this is case sensitive so be sure to name it Resource.
Save any TTF font in the folder named Resource with extension .ttf
Selecting this option you will then be able to choose between the Default font and your ttf files and change the system font used in the GUI and subtitles.

Just tested this on the new upcoming firmware release that is under test now but I expect this will also work on 1.0.0

regards,
Maasbommel
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
@jer1956:

I still don't see why, if the chip is designed to stream at 1000 Mb/s, it can't do file transfer at 1000 Mb/s. A decent HTPC can stream at 1000 Mb/s and do file transfer at 1000 Mb/s, right?

But I do understand that this isn't a specific MEDE8ER issue but one that all modern media centers suffer from. Reason enough for me to switch to a HTPC.

@Maasbommel:

Thanks for the information, I'll give this a try on the 1.0.0 FW and I'll post the outcome.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:51 PM »
Hi Lunchbox,

Also a HTPC will not be able to do a file transfer at 1000 Mb/s.....
This is just ethernet basics, a part of the bandwith will be lost by:
- collisions, error correction handling, ethernet package overhead.

But a HTPC (or just read PC) will have better performance because of the higher hardware specs:
Processor has much more power, and also a lot more memory to buffer.

There are plusses and minus to mention for both solutions if you compare a HTPC with a media player.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »
I know a HTPC won't achieve maximum speed; just like my 120 Mbit internet connection will only achieve ~110 Mbit... But ~6 MB/second is very, very poor; even a normal 100 Mb/s connection will easily reach 11 MB/s. The MEDE8ER will struggle to achieve half that!

Had I known this I would never, ever, have bought this device.

Oh, the fonts do work on the 1.0.0 FW when placed in the Resource folder. But, sadly, the Resource folder also shows when browsing the Media Library. I should try to make it a hidden folder but I can't be bothered to take the thing apart in order to connect the HDD to my PC again.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
@jer1956:

I still don't see why, if the chip is designed to stream at 1000 Mb/s, it can't do file transfer at 1000 Mb/s. A decent HTPC can stream at 1000 Mb/s and do file transfer at 1000 Mb/s, right?

It isn't designed to stream at 1000. I never said that. Streaming works best when the load is low, and easily satisfied. That's why streaming 40mbps using a 100 mbps Network is very difficult to set up. Routers are designed to work in multi-device situations and hence to not allocate high percenatages to any single point to point  connection.  A gigabit network achieves minimal loading for a 40 mbps link, and hence is likely to get it's required allocation all the time, producing stutter free streaming. So perversly, the need for gigabit is in order to lower network usage, not increase it.

If you had come to  this forum before you bought you would have read my posts on this issue over the last few months,  everytime anyone started to drool over the future prospect of gigabit on a 1185 based Med.      
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:00:02 AM by jer1956 »