Author Topic: avi won't play!  (Read 1802 times)

Offline SilverJDM

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
avi won't play!
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »
OK on to my next problem which I hope is a simple fix with the help of the more knowledgeable people on here...  I have added 1 movie (avi) to my HDD but I can't get it to play!!  HDD>Movies>Date Night>Date Night.avi   I know that the .avi is there as I have checked it from my laptop

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +187/-43
Re: avi won't play!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »
Use the program  called Mediainfo in the software Links section to find the contents.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

The simple answer is a hardware player only has a limited set of codecs, and can only play a file using those codecs. So only AVI's play that contain a supported codec. The same with any package format.

It's best to start testing using a strict format, such a DVD.ISO created using DVD shrink.

Offline SilverJDM

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:13 pm »
Use the program  called Mediainfo in the software Links section to find the contents.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

The simple answer is a hardware player only has a limited set of codecs, and can only play a file using those codecs. So only AVI's play that contain a supported codec. The same with any package format.

It's best to start testing using a strict format, such a DVD.ISO created using DVD shrink.
Confused!  I thought the whole point of the Mede8er was that it played anything....  .avi is such a basic/everyday format that you would think that codec would be included as a minimum.  Is there a walk through on how to install mediainfo on the 500x2?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +187/-43
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:28 pm »
AVI isn't a codec, that  the point. It's a media package that can contain all kinds of files mainly found on a PC. AVI is supported, but only if the contents use a supported codec as well.

Mediainfo is installed on your PC and you analyze media files with it to see the contents i.e. identify the codecs being used.

Guidence for helping us solve your problems can be found in the Tech Support section.  It's best if I move this there.