Author Topic: Network: Mede8er Connector when issues to connect your PC to Med internal disk  (Read 58519 times)

Offline mfhp

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
HDD Connector doesn't find my device, although it is connected and I can see it as an UPnP-device etc.

Instead there is a message box saying "Der angeforderte Name ist gültig und wurde in der Datenbank gefunden. Er verfügt jedoch nicht über die richtigen zugeordneten Daten, die ausgewertet werden sollten. Did you change the name of your device?"
My translation of the first two sentences, just in case: "The  requested name is valid and has been found in the database. But it does not have the necessary related data that have to be evaluated."
Can't even guess what that may mean.

Configuration: Win XP, two network adapters, cable to Mede8er, WiFi to internet router. Mede8er only in internal network, different ip ranges for both adapters of course - other device in internal network works flawlessly, internet connection as well.
Mede8er connection works after reboot, then only occasionally (more or less), that's why I wanted to try this tool.
Any hints?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
It probably means it knows a network  device name exists...but can't resolve an IP for it..so can't connect.

Most network issues come down to DNS failures. We have been posting Tips on this since the X1 where intially the best we could offer was toggle Network Server on and off to  get an entry in the DNS system.  We don't tell users to  do  that now..

IT looks like you are trying to communicate across two networks with no NAT service running to  do it. In fact your PC /med "network" may have no services at all.  There are in the modem/router handling the "other" network.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:41:03 PM by jer1956 »

Offline mfhp

IT looks like you are trying to communicate across two networks with no NAT service running to  do it. In fact your PC /med "network" may have no services at all.  There are in the modem/router handling the "other" network.

Not quite. I'm trying to communicate with the Mede8er inside a network using fixed IPs in the 192.168.XXX.XXX range, and I don't want it to access the internet. Therefore I don't use a NAT service, because I don't need it - there is no "across two networks" situation. And of course there is no DNS service - why run a DNS inside a small network consisting of 4 devices with fixed IPs?
Moreover, after reboot there is no problem communicating with the Mede8er. This occurs after a few minutes, and gets worse. Looks like the Mede8er is getting increasingly busy trying to do something over the internet, and ignores other requests.
Is there some kind of "I will only communicate over your network if I'm allowed to access the internet" issue?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
Is there some kind of "I will only communicate over your network if I'm allowed to access the internet" issue?

No..there is a "Local networks use DNS issue".  Every device on the LAN has both an IP and a name.  Various LAN activities will use one, not the other, and use DNS to find the missing information.   The easiest solution is to have a "host" for these network services on the LAN, such  as a router.  

..although I just remembered that the internal clock needs access to  a Net clock to inialise properly..and all networks use a network protocol call Cerberus. This requires accurate clocks in all the network devices which are driven by a master clock in the router...that in turn corrects iself via an internet clock.

So we have seen all kinds of problems if you users go down the "no router" route.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:14:40 AM by jer1956 »

Offline mfhp

No..there is a "Local networks use DNS issue".  Every device on the LAN has both an IP and a name.  Various LAN activities will use one, not the other, and use DNS to find the missing information.   The easiest solution is to have a "host" for these network services on the LAN, such  as a router.  

..although I just remembered that the internal clock needs access to  a Net clock to inialise properly..and all networks use a network protocol call Cerberus. This requires accurate clocks in all the network devices which are driven by a master clock in the router...that in turn corrects iself via an internet clock.

So we have seen all kinds of problems if you users go down the "no router" route.

So I need to have a DNS. Since I'm running XP, using a .hosts file should be OK? Second, a NTP server. XP will do that as well (w32time). Is there anything else?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
You can try hosting your own DNS server on the PC:-
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,4014.0.html

Offline mfhp

You can try hosting your own DNS server on the PC:-
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,4014.0.html

Thank you, that did it - although I chose the easier way and just made the appropriate entries in hosts and lmhosts without installing my own DNS server.
Bingo.
Problem was my assumption that defined IP adresses should be enough, so I never wasted a thought on the idea a computer might use a name to resolve an IP instead of the other way round.
So at the moment, everything is working great, without a router. We'll see.