Author Topic: Copy over Network - How to increase Speed!!  (Read 52262 times)

Offline runefire

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: Copy over Network - How to increase Speed!!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »
streaming HD media via 15MByte/sec sounds very doubtfull.

exactly, hence me trying to find out beforehand what the average rated speed for the wireless dongle and an equally compatible 802.11n accesspoint. the MAJOR selling point for me was the 802.11n compatible dongle....  :-\

also, if 5MByte/sec is the norm in 100mbit LAN speed, will the mede8er crew be addressing this?

Offline mysticc

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
@runefire

Do you mind correcting your quote?

It was YOU having doubts.
I know there is no need to have doubts 15 MByte/s might not be enough for streaming HD, as it is far more than needed.
V3.0 Beta
MED500X with internal HD 250G
100Mbit Networked with CAT5 to AVM Fritz 7220
Networkshare mainly on Win2003 Server, sometimes on Windows7 x64 Ultimate
Connected via Component to LCD and HDMI to projector.
AVR: Denon-3805
Projector: Sony HW-10
LCD: Viewpia 37
Blu-Ray-Player: LG BD 370

Offline Ice_Black

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
Is 100 mbps enough for full HD streaming via network wire.

Offline mysticc

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
Is 100 mbps enough for full HD streaming via network wire.

If not there would be many reports all Mediaplayers out there not being able to do what they are sold for.
So, yes, far enough.
V3.0 Beta
MED500X with internal HD 250G
100Mbit Networked with CAT5 to AVM Fritz 7220
Networkshare mainly on Win2003 Server, sometimes on Windows7 x64 Ultimate
Connected via Component to LCD and HDMI to projector.
AVR: Denon-3805
Projector: Sony HW-10
LCD: Viewpia 37
Blu-Ray-Player: LG BD 370

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
Unfortuantely lan standards for error prone methods (wifi and mains)  don't quote throughput speeds, with  the overhead of error correction  removed.  It's bit like TV. We have  a 625 line standard. Due to the overhead of  CRT line and field fly back only 576 can be used for actual video. So with wi-fi and mains lan you can right off half due to large amounts of error correction required. The other problem is wifi and mains are installation dependent. Your wonderful 300 mps wireless-N system may actually be running at something much lower, even before you take error correction into consideration.

I don't have wireless-N, only Hi-speed 125. Carefully testing channls I can get a reliable 125 connection which dosn't drop down to something slower. Even then I can't expect much  more than 33 mps. That is fine for HD. It's simple to test anyway. If it takes 30mins to copy 1 hour of video to the hard drive, then you have twice the bandwidth required to stream the same file. If it takes 1 hour to copy 30mins of video then you have real problems!

Offline gusan

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
I have a w7 64bit and a quad processor and lots of ram and gb network connected to the player by cable throu a modern switch with 8 ports and a wireless-N. (i think it is wrong configured but it works and i welcomme better conf tips on that)
Intenet is 100/20mb/s fiber connected into the W-N, from the W-N cable to a switch, and 2nd cable directly to Mediaplayer,  from Switch to PC1 and PC2 ..finally i use the W-N only for minipc w less.
I get between 2,5 and max 4,65mb/s and i have a new 1tb disk on the player, for now i transfer the files but wish to play/stream directly from PC.
What should my transfer speed be?
Is 2,5-5mb/s enough for BR 1080p streaming?
Regards
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:44:48 PM by gusan »

Offline niniz

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »
I do not understand..? Why am i only getting 4.77mb/s max when i got 8mb/s with my xbox from 2001?

Offline niniz

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 02:18:50 PM »
someone?

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
Just search around, this kind of questions have been answered already several times.....
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline sunil1234

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
so much issue over copy speed wow :o

the mede8er is not a copy device, it is a media player and as long as it does that first and foremost please accept 5mb/s copy speed to transfer files for exmaple over homeplug network in my setup. Thus i transfer around 35gb this morning in 2 something hours. No big deal, whilst this was copying i was able to play 14gb 1080p from internal hard drive no problem ;D

Copy speed is not streaming speed 8)

Offline Hotblack

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

Furthermore a good copy manager will permit you to pause, add, remove, promote, demote, etc the files being copied, plus provide logs and set default actions if similar files already exist such as overwrite, skip, rename, etc... The error handling is also generally better, such as when either a source or destination drive is lost or intermittent.

I have personally always been happy with SuperCopier, simply because it was the first one I came across that did all I needed...

I'm looking for a copier that can cope with an intermittent line as I'm trying to copy via the house electrical ring main using Devolo homeplug adapters. I'm assuming my problem with copying is caused by the Devolo adapters as I've done a search and I can't find anybody else getting error messages like “The destination folder is no longer available” (Terecopy) and “WriteFile (The semaphore timeout period has expired.121) (Fastcopy). I had a look at SuperCopier but I couldn't work out where to start as I'm not that techie and would kill for a copy program that had a nice GUI.

I was hoping to be able to copy 4 films across in one go but they all seem to be >point at source file >point at destination file, which is really only for one file at a time.

Are there any other programs that can cope with a flaky line and won't just fail as Terecopy and FastCopy have done? IE with pretty buttons and clear instructions on what to do rather than these very basic looking programs that kind of assume that you know what you are doing already?

Thanks

Offline Hotblack

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 06:37:26 AM »
Fair enough, back to the USB cable then  :'(

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
Or maybe just consider to use a lan cable.
Power plugs can work ok, but can also give a lot of trouble in bandwith.

Offline Hotblack

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
Or maybe just consider to use a lan cable.
Power plugs can work ok, but can also give a lot of trouble in bandwith.

I've been using them for a couple of years now and for surfing and Vuzing they do the job perfectly. I've only recently purchased the Mede8er and its some distance from the switch so the power plugs would be ideal if I didn't keep getting these drop out errors. Having said that, It's quite happy to copy across smaller files (50mb) and I even managed to copy a 1.4Gb file across (with Fast Copy) but that was on the 4th attempt. Obviously running a long network cable is on the list of options but if I could find a copy program that can cope with intermittent lines (like some download programs do) then that would save me running the cable.

I'm not too worried about super fast copy speeds as I've always got something else I can be doing whilst it's doing it's thang. I'm not familiar with FTP, is that something I should be looking into as an alternative option for copying?

I'm taking up space here in the tips and tutorial section, maybe I should move this off to another part of the forum?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
Hi Hotblack,

Yes, moving your post to the Technical Issues section would be better.
You might consider to configure to use FTP, use Core FTP Lite, its free and works very well.

This program has some resume function and you can try to configure some longer time out values because of your fluctuating network connection. It might work....

regards,
Maasbommel