Author Topic: Play Folder - Browse Folder  (Read 5067 times)

5DM2USER

Play Folder - Browse Folder
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »
Well, if this question did show up before, the mod(s) / admin(s) can move it to the place were it belongs.

I did copy some DVD's to the harddisk inside the Mede8er, now i need just to put the "cursor" on the
name of the movie DVD, Pres enter and the Mede8er will ask something like Play Folder or Browse Folder.
That's just great ! Now my question is : Why not on a network*) drive ? On a network drive the Mede8er
doesn't ask the queston to play the movie or browse the directory. Pres enter and it will go into the
DVD directory and you will see the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS sub-directorys.

Is there something that could change this behavior of the Mede8er ?

*) = Networkdrive, Upnp drive....

5DM2USER

Re: Play Folder - Browse Folder
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »
Does no one know something , does no one have this problem ?...... Strange..  ???
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:23:55 PM by 5DM2USER »

Offline djashjones

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
mine does and all my movies is on a nas.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
Upnp is a different beast. It acts as it's own file manager, telling using devices what is stored. It may look the same on the display, but the information is supplied rather than  found. So the Play folder option folder dosn't work, neither will DVD.ISO or BDAV. These options belong to  the Med's own file manager, not the UPNP servers file manager.

5DM2USER

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
Thanx, if i understand the situation ; copy's of DVD's*) & Bluray's*) will be played very well if they are on the
harddisk inside the Mede8er. But not on a network drive. Other files**) can be played from a network drive.
The Mede8er can not stream a DVD ,Bluray from a network drive. The Mede8er can stream other files from
a network drive.

* = A 1 to 1 copy, with the original directory structure ; video_ts/audio_ts etc.
** = Any file with an extension like .avi , .mpg , .iso etc.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
No, that isn't what i'm saying!

I'm saying Workgroup Networking is different from UPNP.

With Network (AKA Workgroup Networking) the Med "shares" the remote disk, it accesses it using ithe Med's own File Manager, and  can maniplate the files as if they where internal, including Play Folder.

With UPNP the Med gives control over to the UPNP server, and it's File Manager. You see similer information, and use similer point and click access, but you actually interacting with the UPNP Server's File Manager, which has no idea what Play Folder is!

UPNP is easier to use than Network, but you  are limited to Explore Folder, Play File, and then of formats the server understands.

The good news for windows 7 users is that Version 4  now communicates that a Med can play H264 and VC-1 to Windows Mediaplayer. So you can now stream these files via UPNP without them getting converted to Mpeg2.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:10:53 PM by jer1956 »

5DM2USER

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
Ok, i will give more details about the situation. 1st there is my Linksys router WRT610N and a 4-port switch.
Because of some computers, buffalo nas ,synology nas ,bluray player etc. i need that switch. I am using only
the original software from the nas-systems to use them. Both nas systems work great. Now i can play any file
on the Mede8er streaming from both nas systems (avi, mpg, mkv, iso etc. etc.)     but NO DVD or Bluray folder.
If the DVD or Bluray is on the Mede8er it can play them. That is the part i don't understand, maybe other people
don't have a network + nas systems etc. they only use the Mede8er (THAT makes it very simple to !).
Anyway, if the Mede8er can't do this... i will copy the DVD, Bluray to the Mede8er..... not great but if it works......

Thanx.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
You still not getting it.

The Med supports multiple ways of using a Network

1)Network, which is really Workgroup Networking
2)NFS
3)UPNP

All those  happily using Play Folder over a  Network  are using the Network or NFS options.

You  are using UPNP, which  dosn't for the reasons I gave before.

You  have to move over to using Workgroup Networking or NFS.

5DM2USER

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:14 AM »
Well, i get it even you think i didn't get it at all.  I did buy a Popcorn A200 Mediaplayer !
And there isn't a problem at all to play a folder from other sources. But the Popcorn isn't
sooo much better, because the Mede8er has a nice file manager. And the AC Ryan Mediaplayer
doesn't have the play folder problem to, from hear/say. But it doesn't matter anymore.
I am using 2 Mediaplayers now. And things are ok now. And firmware 4.xx on the Mede8er works great.

The use of a Mediaplayer should be simple ! Believe it or not, but not everybody likes to learn about
Microsoft and their networks related things. They like to have a simple thing to play their files on.
I am not a newbie but sometimes i like to have it a bit simple to ! Not to offend somebody here.
And yes, even after 25 years of computers & networks...... i like to have it simple.......

Thanx.