Author Topic: problem with mede8er med400x mini and mac  (Read 11516 times)

Offline martyboy

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
problem with mede8er med400x mini and mac
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
Hi there,

I've just bought the med400x mini and put it on my network. I have a airport extreme and a macbook.
The problem is...i have a internet connection....mede8er says it has a ip adress en the internet radio works fine, but now i cant see my movies from my macbook.....i've put the mapp of my movies in shared modus .....in theorie the mede8er had to see it now but it doesnt.....i called the apple support desk but they said i have to call the producer of my media center.....

Please help me....ive been googling the whole freaking day but i cant find any !!!!

what am i doing wrond....

ps. i can go in my mede8er from finder using smb://ipadress.....

thank you verry much

sorry for my bad english ;) i'm dutch

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: problem with mede8er med400x mini and mac
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
The problem is that the Network option is really Windows Workgroup. So you need a Windows PC managing a workgroup, and then the Mac can join it, and share files with the Med.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/708/mac-os-x-join-a-windows-workgroup/

The above instructiuons (and it's linked "recipes") might work without a PC managing the workgroup, I don't know. Give it a try and tell us.

Otherwise you have to host an NFS server on your Mac, or host a UPNP server on your Mac.

P.S Google is too "managed" for my liking, deciding which sites who have paid for the priveledge might have information.
I use a meta-search engine called Copernic and it finds things from multiple independent search engines.

I bet Google wants you to spend all day hunting just so they can show you adverts!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:49:28 PM by jer1956 »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
This is more like it:-
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1812?viewlocale=en_US

The med500 behaves like a PC when trying to connect to a PC, so it's logical to set up a MAC to allow a PC to login, and then the med500 should work without needing a PC.

One word of warning. Your Apple Router  (or the Mac itself) may be designed to block all dubious Windows activites, even locally behing the firewall. This of course would have no effect on Apple Mac protocols, and hence not affect your Mac. Windows Sharing using SMB1 requires Windows Netbios to function. You might have to remove any block  on Netbios for Windows Sharing to work. That might mean opening ports if you have a Firewall in your Mac.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:08:54 PM by jer1956 »

Offline tlwn

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:21:24 PM »
I'm having the same issues in my apple network at home. I have a motorola cable modem with a netgear wireless router. My iMac and my Macbook connect wirelessly via the router. The mede8er is connected with a wire to the router. My apple network is fully functional and my macs can exchange files. On both macs I set up filesharing and checked SMB filesharing. Because internet radio isn't working yet (firmware 3.04) I tried pinging the mede8er from my macs to confirm the mede8er is connected to the network, and that seemed to work.

The mede8er doesn't see any computers or workgoups when I try to connect via 'network'.  I tried setting up a UPNP network on my iMac and that seems to work for the mede8er, it can find my mac and plays files, except that 720p and 1080p files seem to stutter as hell.

My guess is i'll get more speed if I set things up to work as a normal windows network, so I can connect with the mede8er via the 'network' function in stead off 'upnp'. I'm going to try what jer1956 posted however I dont really know where to start as I dont know a lot about networking..any guidelines?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
Where pretty low on Mac users to help. The point is the Med500 works like a PC when it comes to networking. It dosn't switch to work like a Mac on a Mac hosted network. I hope the link to setting up Windows Login on a Mac works.

UPNP servers often include transcoding. You have to select a UPNP sever which will stream the formats you use and not ttranscode them into some blocky low res mess.

Offline tlwn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply jer1956. That's what I was afraid of, the transcoding issue slows things down. For additonal info I first tried the upnp server from Eyeconnect; the mede8er was able to browse my macs but not play any files. Then I tried the upnp server Playback, that seems to work except it doesn't stream the HD files very good (lots of stutter). Unfortunately both servers do not have any additional options to change the way they stream files to my mede8er.

I'll call a friend this afternoon to try and set up a windows network from my mac..

Offline martyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
i really dont know what i did but it seems to work......

i setted up a upnp connection with playback....then after 2 movies it stopped because i dont have a license...and from that point i can see my macbook in the network under workgroup ?

really bizar....

mayby someone got a idea how this is possible ?

Offline martyboy

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
ok my happiness was from short time....i putted my mede8er off....turned it back on and gone was my network connection.....pretty wierd [CENSORED]

Offline tlwn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Yeah, Playback needs a restart after every 2 movies when in trial mode. Martyboy, did you try playing HD files, if so did they stutter too? I'd like to know this to exclude some things so we can further work out the problem..

Very weird indeed that you did have a network for a little while, is there by any chance a windows systeem running in your local network?

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
Guys,

Did you try to setup connection using the Network shortcut method?
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,47.0.html

regards,
Maasbommel
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline robdestreel

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi,

I have a med 400x mini and a IMac intell based. On the Mac I have installed a program named Eyeconnect from Elgato. It enables you to stream content from your Mac to the Med400x. For me this works fine. On the Med you have to select UPnP and then you can see your Mac on the Med400x.

Offline avman

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »

..... I have a airport extreme and a macbook.
Please help me....ive been googling the whole freaking day but i cant find any !!!!

what am i doing wrond....

ps. i can go in my mede8er from finder using smb://ipadress.....

thank you verry much

sorry for my bad english ;) i'm dutch

We have an Airport Extreme router like you, & have no wintel pc's on the network at all, just mac's & the media players & samba works just fine. The airport extreme handles all of this without any need for wintel pc involvement.

We normally watch movies from the HD in the players but do stream from a 2 TB HD plugged into Airport Extreme's usb port, because that's always available, whereas the mac's may not even be here. Also rather than copy files over or connect video & audio cables from the macbook as we used to do before mede8er, we now just stream from a mac if for example we've used "Eye-TV"  to record a TV show on that mac.

We don't use Upnp, just smb & NFS. NFS is a much "lighter" protocol than smb & is much preferred over smb for performance. However, Airport Extreme only supports smb/cifs & naturally, Apple's own AFP protocol, hence we can't transfer from the router HD via NFS, only the mac's.

Another NFS advantage for mac users is you already have the service running on your mac, so you just need to tell it what folders you'd like shared via NFS.

As I've only just seen this thread, what point are you at now? Is it all working or do you still need help?

Offline martyboy

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
i can still need some help......

its still just what i said before....when i open playback end go to uPnP i can see my macbook.....after that i close the upnp and go to workgroup en voila,....there's my macbook and i can stream my files to the mede8er.....

when i restart my mede8er and dont use playback....i cant find my macbook.....

what you have is just what i want because normally i have a 1TB hd on my airport extreme....i want to play files from that because i download all my movies on that HD directly....

what did you set up to do that ?

and guys.....thank you so much for all the help......i really appreciate that !!!!!

again..sorry for my terrible english ;)

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »

what you have is just what i want because normally i have a 1TB hd on my airport extreme....i want to play files from that because i download all my movies on that HD directly....

It will  have a server mode in it's set up which  you can enable. That could be UNPNP or NAS.  

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1012
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:29:19 PM by jer1956 »

Offline avman

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
i can still need some help......

Ok, as I mentioned, I don't currently use UpNp, although I did try it briefly, & it worked ok, but no advantage whatsoever over  "ordinary" networking (for me that is) so here's a screen from my setup for you to compare with.

Meanwhile I'll compose a bit more & post when you've replied with what you have on that Airport screen, or questions related to this screenshot:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3933/airport.png

Notice here you can edit the "workgroup" name to whatever you like, but may be better to leave it as is whilst you're setting up.

So, mede8er just has an ethernet cable going to a port of the airport, as do the mac's. Airport then connects to a dsl modem. All devices get their IP's from Airport's DHCP server.

If you're successful, I'll put some info' into the tips section.

I'm using SL 10.6.5 BTW, but ISTR it all worked on Leopard too.