Author Topic: Tool to fix compressed Headers on MKV files  (Read 59820 times)

Offline leon100

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: Tool to fix compressed Headers on MKV files
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:07:41 pm »
have 2 mkv films with no video just sound ,unfortunately this  convener give me error mesage after step 2.
Any other programs to fix this files for MEDE8ER ,files works ok on my laptop
Thanks

Offline Fantach

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:43 am »
The file should get slightly bigger as the header has to be re-embedded throughout the MKV.

Hello all!  It`s my first post here as you can see  :)

Yeah, the file gets slightly bigger after its done but nothing major really  ;) I just couldnt play movie properly (only had audio) and this helped me... all done in 5 min.  8) Thanks a lot, already thought that i wont find easy solution, love my mede8er anyway :D

Offline Recoplon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »
Is the problem with the compressed headers going to be fixed in the next firmware?

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:02 pm »
Is the problem with the compressed headers going to be fixed in the next firmware?

Please read the notes of V4beta5, http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3714.0.html

Highlights of V4BETA5

1. 3 Level folder support on Video Wall
2. Compressed MKV headers now supported
3. Thai GUI fixed
4. Vietnamese GUI 
5. Discreet "power off" code for learning remotes
6. For specific Bug fixes refer to the bug tracking list http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/board,37.0.html
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +190/-53
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »
Hello all!  It`s my first post here as you can see  :)

Yeah, the file gets slightly bigger after its done but nothing major really  ;) I just couldnt play movie properly (only had audio) and this helped me... all done in 5 min.  8) Thanks a lot, already thought that i wont find easy solution, love my mede8er anyway :D

The reduction in file size using MKV Header compression is neglible. The only reason it's become a "must have" is the inconvienience it causes to people playing recent downloaded MKV rips. Those making their own MKV's could easily change the setting. It isn't a "must have" becuase it reduces file sizes by, say,  30% making them easier to stream, or store.

MKV is in danger of becoming bloatware. Enthusiasts keep  coming up with more and more ideas to add to it without any considering to  the problems it causes, especially to hardware players.  I cannot see the point of replicating full Bluray functionality inside MKV, and then just use it to store bluray rips. That's what BDAV mode is for!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:49:32 pm by jer1956 »

Offline CooLVickS

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:09 am »
I was shattered when I couldn't play one of my favorite music videos on the Mede8er, as there was only audio and no video and I had no clue whatsoever about an issue. However, this sticky thread made me realize that the issue is with the compressed header of the MkV file and nothing else.

So, I downloaded the tool, ran it on my Win7 x64 machine and within seconds it gave a (supposedly) cleaned MkV file as an output, which played flawlessly on the Mede8er.

Any idea what does this tool actually do?? Because, the file which it gave as an output has exactly the same size as the problematic one, but still plays perfectly on the Mede8er after it got processed by the tool?

Thanks anways to Mede8er1 for posting about this tool, it literally made my day.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:58:22 am »
There is a lot of discussion and threads about mkv header compressed files.
Normally when enabled it should give a file that is a little bit smaller because of the compression, but in real life it isn't often. And only giving issues with playing and streaming.....

But if you want to know more, just google around there is really a lot to find....
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

Any idea what does this tool actually do?? Because, the file which it gave as an output has exactly the same size as the problematic one, but still plays perfectly on the Mede8er after it got processed by the tool?

Imagine turning on a DVB TV  and tuning to  program which  has already started, only to be told you had to wait for the start of the next broadcast to catch the header containing codec information about how it's encoded. This situation dosn't happen becuase the header is repeated at reguler  intervals through the stream.  All that MKV Header compressions does is treat a stream like an ordinary media file by removing the header from the stream leaving  just the header at the beginning. The header isn't that big, so repeating it at intervals dosn't increase a file by much. Conversly, removing  it dosn't decrease a file by much either, making the whole idea of MKV Header Compression rather pointless.

Supporting MKV compression in version V4beta dosn't mean tuning the codec chip in the med so that it can play non complient streams which don't have the distributed header. It actually means programming the support processor to re-distribute the header thus creating complient streams the media chip can play. That is what the software tool does to a file if you use it to remove MKV Header Compression.

It's all a pointless exercise driven by MKV zealots who aren't responsible to any industry body.

Those having problems with normal solution to fix it could try this instead:-
http://www.digital-digest.com/software/PopCorn_MKV_ReMuxer.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:57:09 pm by jer1956 »

Offline fr78it

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:33 am »
Pls find a simple tool to fix compressed headers on MKV files that only play audio

Instructions

1) Download latest version (currently version 0.6.0) of mkwdclean from http://sourceforge.net/projects/matroska/files/mkclean/
1) Unrar or Unzip and you will see the file mkWDclean.exe
3) Drag the problem MKV file into mkWDclean.exe
4) It will make a new MKV that will play fine in the Mede8er

Mede8er1

Are you joking ? I buy a media player and then you say I have to convert my file ?  I think it would be better if Mede8er gives its customer a player that can do its job (play file)

Offline sneferu

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:50 am »
Are you joking ? I buy a media player and then you say I have to convert my file ?  I think it would be better if Mede8er gives its customer a player that can do its job (play file)

Take the file back for a refund from the supplier!  :)

Offline leuk_he

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:16 am »

You are way too late with your rant..

Changelog from V4beta5

4.   Compressed MKV headers fixed

Just install the latest 4 firmware and compressed headers should not be a problem you have to worry about.

===========================
Please fix the Ntfs driver bug, or make ext3 formatting available from gui.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 10:29:59 am »

You are way too late with your rant..

Just install the latest 4 firmware and compressed headers should not be a problem you have to worry about.

Unfortunely they will be in some circumstances.

Offline targetdoneaim

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:04 am »
As far as I know, there are mainly two methods to shrink MKV video file size:

Method one: Compress MKV by converting MKV to MP4, AVI, 3GP or other video formats

In the same video quality situation, the MKV file size is much larger than other video formats like MP4. To shrink MKV without loss of video quality, we may convert MKV to MP4, 3GP, AVI and etc. If you do not want to change the video format, you may refer to Method two.

Method two: Shrink MKV by adjusting MKV video bit rate, resolution, frame rate etc

This method helps to resize MKV files to get a good balance of quality and file size. And you may choose to compress MKV as well as keep the MKV as the output video format. You may also choose to shrink and convert MKV to other video format.

Detailed guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/mkv-compressor.html