Author Topic: RAID on Mede8er  (Read 3720 times)

Offline tachita

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: RAID on Mede8er
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:06:25 am »
You should be able to create 2tb partitions using MBR software. MBR is the norm and hence it never gets mentioned as a limiting factor. Larger drives should include information about GPT compatible OS and software.

I dislike huge single partitions, especially on a PC. How are PC makers ever going to get people to backup if everthing is on a single partition? Different data/software have different priorities. It's much easier to manage a backup strategy if you keep these seperate on different partitions and use imaging software.

So, from here i understand that M8R support hdd bigger then 2tb but with condition to have partitions on it not bigger then 2tb.
Did you try it and not work?

Raid utility at a media player is absent, maybe just in mirroring for backup.
If that raid is a standalone box and the usb connection don't work only a firmware update can solve this or network connection.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:10:46 am by tachita »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +195/-54
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 10:45:10 am »
I'm not a big collector of media. I'm going have trouble filling the 1tb drives in either my med500 or SKY Sat PVR. So no I havn't tried using a 4GB drive. I'm making a logical deduction based on the 2TB limit given by Mede8er and problems reported by those with larger configurations.

It's ironic. We have some users complaining about hard drives not going into Standby when not in use and  now we have users who want 4 drives spinning all the time for when files are stored on multiple drives!  

Thinking about that I ask. Will the raid controller keep spanned drives spinning? These multiple drive box's are not optimised for video. No one using them for generel storage is concerned about waiting for drives in standby spinning up to complete a file access.  To keep them all spinning would require stripping. Why bother? Just have 4 seperate drives and  use each as required. All media would then only be one a single drive and the others can be allowed to go into standby.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:53:24 am by jer1956 »

Offline tachita

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:22 pm »
M8R wasn't designed for raid controller .
For a media player a raid is useless

raid can be useful only when try to make backup at your media in real time without be affected by  the backup proces itself.

otherwise , for fast acces or craps like that ...all of this are nonsense...

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
Most people don't use raid as it was intended, that is to offer an immediate backup in the event of drive failure. Instead it's been used to create virtual large fast drives from small ones, especilly useful for video editing.  Using raid to do that with huge drives is plain daft. Now is the time to use raid as intended. Instead of taking hours backing up 2TB of data just use raid to make  a backup for you with a second drive.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »
I found this info:-
"The protective MBR is an MBR that defines a single partition entry that covers the entire area of the disk used by GPT structures and partitions. It is designed to prevent GPT-unaware programs from accidentally modifying a GPT disk. A GPT-unaware program sees the GPT disk as an MBR disk with a single, unknown partition. In a way, this is like the HFS wrapper around an HFS Plus disk."

Offline betarte00

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 05:32:11 am »
After several test with this unit: Mediasonic HFR7SU3S2 with 4 hard drives 10tb each and using MEDE8ER MED600x3D i found that in RAID 10 formatted in exFat, was detected and working fine.