Author Topic: MED800 hdd upgrade 8tb not recognized after copying data  (Read 1753 times)

Offline gibraltar

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
MED800 hdd upgrade 8tb not recognized after copying data
« on: September 18, 2021, 09:27:39 AM »
Hi,
So I'm still keeping my MED800. I had to upgrade to internal hdd because my previous 4tb was full. I installed a Seagate Ironwolf NAS 8TB. I was able to format it and the disk seemed to be working. I tried coping some files over the network and all seemed OK, I could see the files and play them.
I then open my MED800 to remove the disk and connect it directly to my computer, along side my old disk, so I could copy all my files faster.
After coping 4tb of data I return my 8tb new disk to the MED800 and when I turn it on the disk is not recognized, it spins up but does not show in the MED800.
I've since repeated the copy process (after formating the disk in the MED800) a couple of times and tried to copy my files over network and also USB. At the end the disk is never detected...
So it seems the disk is detected and works OK, but as as soon as I fill the disk with data it stops getting detected.
Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:56:50 AM by gibraltar »

Offline sayon

• Helpful Contribution Status: +8/-0
Re: MED800 hdd upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 05:00:21 PM »
the only things that come to mind are ... did you remove any kind of share from the disk before putting it on the med8? did you rename the disk to any name you like? The med8 wants the disk you install to have a name. I can't think of anything else ...

Offline gibraltar

Re: MED800 hdd upgrade
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
Hi,
Disk was brand new, initialized in Windows and formated with one gtp partition. Also formated in the MED800 after to create the internal structured. Formating inside de MED800 also gives it a name.
Thanks for the tips but still no go.
I got tired of trying to get it to work and will replacing it with a WD disk. Should arrive sometime next week.
Fingers crossed.

Offline gibraltar

Re: MED800 hdd upgrade 8tb not recognized after copying data
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »
Still no go  >:(
My WD Purple 8tb arrived yesterday and did the usual (initialize disk connected to PC on sata bus, created 1 gpt partition, connected the disk on MED and formated twice, reconnected disk on pc sata bus and copy over from the old disk). Upon reconnecting the half filled new disk to MED it is not recognized. I tested deleting some movie folders (around 1tb) and the disk is now recognized on the MED. So the same behaviour as before. As soon as I fill the disk with data it stops getting recognized.
I'm trying to used gparted (tip from another thread) and will try to copy data by smaller chunks, and see if it makes a difference.
Does anyone have any idea of what is going on?
Thanks.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
Transferring data via disk swap has the same issue as using USB slave mode.  Using Windows to dismount the drive corrupts the journal. You should use the Windows dismount tool linked in various places.   

Offline gibraltar

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi jer1956,

Thank you for your feedback. Was not aware of that issue also affecting disk swap (thought it only affected usb).
I've since been trying other options and in one of the tests tryed to reconnect my old disk (that was not changed in any way) and have also lost access to it when connected to the MED800, which is compatible with your feedback.
I was under the impressions that the tool you refered only worked with usb connections. I've run the tool in Windows but it does not see my drive connected to the SATA onboard port of my desktop PC. Have looked around the tool's options and couldn't see anything that would help. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I've since connected the new disk to the MED800 and copyed over lan the contents of the old drive (almost 3 days), just finished 10 minutes ago... Initial tests seems to be working :)

Offline gibraltar

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 09:31:23 AM »
Final feedback.
I've been using the MED800 with a WD Purple 8tb without any problems for the past couple of weeks. Seems I'll have a media player for some more years  :D