Author Topic: 500X2 works fine with 4TB HDD  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Ahari

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
500X2 works fine with 4TB HDD
« on: May 12, 2019, 09:17:28 am »
Just thought that I would post here that I just installed a Seagate 4TB HDD in my 500X2 and it's working fine.

I struggled a bit at first as the 500X2 didn't want to recognise it, so I connected the bare drive to my PC, deleted all partitions and formatted it using Disk Management to one big NTFS GPT partition. I then connected it to the 500X2, turned it on and waited a bit for the 500X2 to recognise it. I think I had to reboot the Mede8er and wait a few minutes (be patient - don't press anything for a few minutes!) after the first reboot before it would recognise the 4TB HDD. I then formatted the HDD again using the Mede8er format function, reboot and voila - it works!! I also checked that the drive now had 2 partitions using Disk Manager - the Mede8er apparently won't work properly without it's special partition. The Mede8er had also renamed the main partition to "Mede8er".

Quick tip to copy terabytes of data to the Mede8er quickly - take the drive out and connect it directly to your PC and use FreeFileSync to copy everything over to the Mede8er drive. I copied about 3.5TB in about 4 1/2 hours this way!!

Hope this helps someone!!
MED500X2 with 2Tb drive - F/W V3.0.5_23April2015_BETA