Author Topic: No sound and slow booting  (Read 422 times)

Offline bojleric

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
No sound and slow booting
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »
Is anyone out there? :) I have a problem...

I'm a proud owner of Mede8er MED500x since 2010. Through out the years my mede8er served more then good. It was the pure essence of my home entertainment system!

However, 2 days back I had a power outage in my home. As a result the mede8er stopped working. After I opened it up, cleaned it a bit,I tried again. And it worked. But with a slight difference. After I turned the mede8er on, the mede8er sign appears as usual, but then it takes a long time for the main menu to appear. In the mean time, the screen is black, and my TV gives me the information, that there is no signal from the source. Basically it takes up to 45 seconds for the main menu to appear. Before the power outage, the main menu would pop up fairly quick, in about  the 10 to 15 seconds.

After that I checked the system for the firmware, and noticed that it was "back" on 3.0.x version. Before the outage I was on 4.0.5.

So I update the firmware to 4.0.5.

Here I come to my fist question. Is there any significant difference between the INC_HDAudio and NO_HDAudio, from the aspect of the functionality of the mede8er?

My main concern is that I don't have audio! My mede8er is connected to TV through HDMI. I adjusted the Audio setup to Downmix 2 ch. No matter what I do, I can't get sound. I tried with different HDMi cables but the effect is the same. On other media players, the same HDMI cable has audio.

When I connect mede8er through analogue audio to my AV receiver I have sound on my home entertainment speakers.

What else can I try, or what am I doing wrong? Please help, I don't want to part with my mede8er!

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +194/-54
Re: No sound and slow booting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
An outage can corrupt the flash memory containing the firmware. Reinstall using Emergency Install and an old slow 4gb or 8gb stick. Modern high captacity sticks are too fast.

And i have a vague recollection you can either have HD Audio over hdmi, or SD over SPDIF.  So if using HDMI, use the HD audio version. Analog may be driven by the spdif stream, so that goes as well with HD audio.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:41:02 pm by jer1956 »

Offline bojleric

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: No sound and slow booting
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:49 pm »
I did that, with no succes. Is it possible that the hdmi out on mede8er is "sound broken"?