Author Topic: Network connection with mede8er slow  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Paul Keizer

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Network connection with mede8er slow
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:50:12 pm »
Now i have set up my usenet download from my laptop to the harddrive in the mede8er the tranfer rate seems very slow.
Because my download speed is about 800 kilobyte/sec but my network speed is slower.
It's not capable to transfer the dowloaded files faster then the download speed.
Does anybody know how to speed this up?
My laptop is wireless connected to the router and the mede8er with a cable.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: Network connection with mede8er slow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:18:02 pm »
Are you using multiple streams to download to the shared mede8er internal disk?
Just try to set stream to one.

Mede8er network speed over lan cable should have avg of 5.0MB/s.
Have you tried to just copy one file manually to the internal disk and check the avg speed?
Be sure not to use multiple copies at once or you will choke the connection.

regards,
Maasbommel
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

GTavenier

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:33:42 am »
I am experiencing pretty slow performance on the wired network connection as well, bought the mede8er yesterday and tried to stuff the 1Tb harddisk with about 20 movies. But the copy process is still busy with an average of a stunning 1,2 megabytes per second.

I have a Linksys WRT610N router with Gigabit LAN connections both on WAN and LAN, I have a DELL GIgabit Switch and all connected machines have gigabit connections. Between pc's the copying speeds are amazing, ok this is gigabit ofcourse. Nevertheless I am really disappointed in the mede8er's network speed.

If I have to wait longer to copy a movie than for instance downloading it, this product is of no use for me.

Is there a good change that this problem will be fixed in future firmware? Otherwise I will return this product today!

If it comes to playing a movie I dont have any problems at all, it works like a charm. Haven't been testing with subtitles etc. but that's not so important to me.

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +100/-24
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:56:20 am »

Lan copy speed MED500X

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline Superwuppy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:23:01 am »
Lan speed of 5 mb
why does it have an 100 mb Lan duild inside when not using the full 100 mb speed ????

think it's stupid using 20% max

but i like the mede8er i'm not gonna bring it back.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +193/-54
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:42:11 am »
That 's becuase "transfers"  (as oppossed to streaming) is not controlled by dedicated hardware but the puny support processor. This is a common problem to all realtek and sigma mediaplyers. The sigma players have been around long enough for the transfer speed to have shown pitiful improvements as each new generation added a faster( but stil puny) support processor.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:50:10 am »
All,

This topic has already been discussed many times.

When setup correctly over lan cable using samba filesharing copying from PC to Mede8er, you will get:
- avg 5 MB/s transfer rate to copy files

The mede8er is a mediaplayer with basic NAS feature as described in the manual.
It is not a high speed NAS solution, the NAS feature is only for convenience to not always have to hook it up to a PC to transfer a media file to the internal disk.
Speed is limited by HW design, it has not high speed processor and lots of memory as a PC has most of the time.
So comparing it to a PC makes no sense. It is made to play media files which is does very well.
If you want a high speed solution, just buy a NAS that is designed to do this and stream media on it to the mede8er with NFS. This works very well, I also use this kind of a solution.
Of course, is you have this kind of high speed desires, it will cost some money....
But as we are comparing network speed of PC's that cost at least 2x to 2.5x the money of a mede8er, it makes sense to add this to this discussion.  ;)

Some advise when you want to transfer a high volume of media files from a PC to your mede8er (mostly the fact when your are setting up your mede8er and filling the disk for the first time):
- connect it by using the USB port to your PC,. It wil give much higher transfer rates then over the network

When using filesharing samba mode to transfer files from a PC to your mede8er:
- Use some file copy manager as TeraCopy, this will maximize the avg file transfer rate without choking the filetranfer that can abort or delay the filecopy process.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

regards,
Maasbommel

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:02:10 am »
Night's are the perfect time for this. Just setup your copy manager and in the morning the job is done. If you do a lot of transcoding you would be used to this. The only thing "instant" in this situation is the coffee you drink to pass the time!

GTavenier

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:29:10 pm »
Ok thanks for the replies, but...

- I bought my Mede8er with a harddisk in it. As I want to store all my movies on that device.
- I dont want to use my mede8er as a usb harddisk with my pc, I have to disconnect all the cables etc. etc. and this is not good for the connectors if you ask me. Plus I have all wires hidden so I have to do so much for getting out the mede8er.

If I knew all this I wouldnt bought it in the first place. I think it's totally CRAP that the mede8er is being sold with a harddisk built in (1tb in my case) and a 10/100 NIC which is not working @ full capacity.

I dont want to stream.
I dont want to wait hours and hours before movies are copied from one place to another,
I am copying 14 movies (approx. 7gb per movie) trought USB on the Mede8er started @ 13:00 it's now 17:30 (almost) and we are @ 97% people. WHOOOHOOO. Copying these files on the same usb harddisk from a pc took no longer than 1,5 hours if not less than that.

To be  honest I dont like the answers/options given in the replies, I am not using my mede8er as a NAS I am using it as a NETWORKED MEDIA TANK (NMT) Just what the mede8er is!!! So I want to store movies onto the built in harddrive rather than streaming it.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »
It's ALL Sigma and Realtek based players that have the problem. You only have to read reviews to see that. MPCclub is a good place.
What solution costing 150 do you think will do the job? You need to find a product which dosn't use Realtek or Sigma chips.
I still don't know what the hurry is? ::)

I bought mine to play videos. It's the quality of playback thats important. What percentage of time will you spend copying compared to watching? I can copy when I'm a sleep. I can't watch video whilst I'm a sleep! ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:55:29 pm by jer1956 »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:13 pm »
HI GTavenier,

Just did some calculation.

USB avg speed can be around 20MB/s when connecting it to a PC by usb cable.
20 MB/s = around 1.2GB/s = around 72GB/hour

You say: 7GB*14=98GB in about 4.5hr. That makes around 5.9MB/s
That is not normal, so you have some issue that is limiting your transfer speed.
Please look at this topic: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=516.0

Can be several of rootcauses, e.g. heavy downloading on your PC while doing the copy, etc.

You are right on this point, the amount to copy over usb to the mede8er should not take more then 1.5hrs just as a normal usb disc. But normally the mede8er should be capable to reach that speed also over usb.
Please check the post I referred to to get an idea what is the root cause in your situation.

regards,
Maasbommel

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Regarding to the speed over network:

Mede8er is not a high speed nas solution, it is a mediaplayer. Thats what we tried to explain.
Compare it to a stationwagon and a sportcar. Built for different things, but they both have a steer, an engine and both use gasoline... But you cannot compare the speed of the sportwagon with that of the sportscar. Also not the capacity to carry things... The both have their own specs where they outperform the other. You have to make a choice based on specs and price. You may not like it, because you want a sportswagon that can carry as much as a station wagon, but that's life and a fact...  ;)

I guess you will not always tranfer the amount of data every day, most heavy downloaders will reach 1 to 2 movies a day is my guess.And then you need to find the time to watch them also.... A normal copy over samba using TeraCopy will tranfer a 7GB file in around 20/25 minutes on network speed of 5MB/s. It is not that bad if you look at it this way.
And the mede8er plays the stuff very well, also consider that.

Cheers,
Maasbommel

Offline tachita

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:48:41 pm »
Usb avg speed is not 20 Mb.

Not by mathematic and less in reality. :)

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 08:55:38 pm »
Usb avg speed is not 20 Mb.

Not by mathematic and less in reality. :)

It does for me, but might be that my Quad core PC is delivering more power to reach this ofcourse...

Offline torrero007

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:02 am »
If you use a USB-to-Lan adapter, will impove the Lan speed?