Author Topic: ThumbGen  (Read 176569 times)

Offline thumbgen

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
  • ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
Re: ThumbGen
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »
if the .net 3.5 sp1 is installed the app should start...splash screen... and immediately there's a log.txt near the exe file created.
if u don't see the log and u are using 0.12.27 or 0.12.28 then the framework is not properly installed
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

Offline MarioB

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
  • If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »
@thumbgen
Very nice application. On other forum (http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=5787.0) you can find large template collection which is nice. So far i have used YAMJ but I think I will give a try to Thumbgen. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:06:10 pm by MarioB »
Mede8er model: Mede8er_MED500X_V4.0.4_MOD_BY_SHIZZL_INC_HDaudio
Hard disk: WD 1TB, WD10EARS, SATA II, 64MB Cache, WD Caviar Green
Network: CAT5 LAN 100 Mbit, connected through D-Link 100Mbps switch to the SpeedTouch 780 router
PC: Win7 SP1 (64bit, Home Premium) on HP4720s with haneWIN NFS server
Display device: 40" Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000, connected via HDMI
Audio: TV only, HDMI pass through

Offline tachita

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »
ThumbGen software has big potential, but is hard to use.

when have many movies is just a pain.
if this could be simplified like others........

otherwise ........his potential is in vain.

Offline thumbgen

• ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »
when have many movies is just a pain.
if this could be simplified like others........

I guess it has to be a balance between quality versus quantity.
I preferred (and my few thousands of users) to carefully select info/images before preparing sheets/metadata... having that ready we can rebuild with a single click the whole library using any templates. That was the reason of showing the Results Page is the semi-automatic mode.

Two new automatic modes will come soon. No/limited user interaction... but results... will not be perfect... as any automatic mode :D For old movies (having newer versions with same name for example) will be quite a disaster if I can't properly detect the movie based on hash and I choose the newer version...

Also do not compare ThumbGen with a jukebox. It is not (yet) a jukebox...it just generates rich-content images (and since last version a large variety of playlists). YAMJ is a _real_ jukebox. A lot of my users are using them together.

PS: I posted here my way of using TG to get quickly the sheets done: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19#p204
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:41:14 pm by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

Offline tachita

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »
Dont get me wrong , i prefer your software instead of yamj, because has more info's about movies and more important he use templates with nice transparency layers.
But he is hard to use, make it automatic whit custom user interference.
It will be like TVixie but with cool info's and more templates.
I'm able to use it but think that your software will be used by unexperienced user also.
When create a movie sheet a user dont have to be confused by the all amount of settings.
Do that and you'll never sleep by too much drinked coffee ;)

Offline thumbgen

• ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:37 pm »
Dont get me wrong , i prefer your software instead of yamj, because has more info's about movies and more important he use templates with nice transparency layers.

Hm.. I have to check what YAMJ is doing as all the people say "I switched from YAMJ" or "YAMJ is better"... we are really doing similar things? I never used YAMJ but seems I have to take a look at it.

My biggest milestones for the near future are 2 new automatic modes (one that asks only to confirm the movie) and another that is not asking anything), a full-featured Templates Editor and support for Music. Also a QuickStart wizard is planned to help newcomers. Currently I am working to implement a docking layout for the Results Page (I have users using FullHD monitors and users using netbooks with 1024x600 ... all must be happy).

I agree about the complexity but the tool being used by (AFAIK) at least 3-4 different players I have to be flexible enough to cover all wishes :) Things will get easier once I get the GUI more user-friendly and some more automatic (predefined) ways of getting standard tasks done.
Get ThumbGen!

Offline tachita

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »
My top for nice looking sheet:
1. ThumbGen
2. TVixie
3. Yamj
Your software and Yamj have info's about movie, but ThumbGen have usefull info's like bitrate on AV and nice templates,
Yamj have automatic mode and one by one mode.
TVixie has nice sheet face and allow you to choose different pictures but no automatic.

You should allow for automatic or one by one; if use automatic mode it will be nice to have possibility to create rules, but also avoid to complicate things.

Offline thumbgen

• ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
Thanks for the summary :D

I guess TG has another 2 unique features that allow some nice results:

1. XSL support that allows conditionals and something like:

LINK (the thumbnails reflect the real movies in that folder just that the "coverflow" effect is simulated using static images)

2. metadata for recreating the sheets/thumbnails + updating IMDb Rating later using different templates by clicking a single button (full auto)

Thanks a lot for the feedback; you'll find (I hope soon) the ideas implemented in the app.
Get ThumbGen!

Offline tachita

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:21 pm »
A lot of  my users are using them together.

When create a sheet for movie, i wanna be how much simple that can be, i'm interested more by movie and not by sheet. ;) .
I dont create sheets for commercial use.
Instead of using 2 different soft's i better create a movie snapshot ;) .

Offline tachita

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:50 pm »
Thanks for the summary :D

I guess TG has another 2 unique features that allow some nice results:

1. XSL support that allows conditionals and something like:

LINK (the thumbnails reflect the real movies in that folder just that the "coverflow" effect is simulated using static images)

2. metadata for recreating the sheets/thumbnails + updating IMDb Rating later using different templates by clicking a single button (full auto)

Thanks a lot for the feedback; you'll find (I hope soon) the ideas implemented in the app.

Impressive sheet.
Keep it so ... :)

Offline thumbgen

• ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 08:42:52 pm »
When create a sheet for movie, i wanna be how much simple that can be, i'm interested more by movie and not by sheet. ;) .

You are so right... but you know the human nature... you have something, then you have more and more :) And at the end you forget the essential: you just wanted to see the movie  ;D

On the other hand if you don't care so much about the sheet and the info inside it why don't you navigate through the movies using some list view ... it's much faster :D
Get ThumbGen!

Offline tachita

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 09:09:37 pm »
On the other hand if you don't care so much about the sheet and the  info inside it why don't you  navigate through the movies using  some list view ... it's much faster

You miss my point !
I care about sheets( maybe more the info,s from inside)... From where did you come with that?
Is something that i miss...i suppose.
Anyway, but if you spend to much time for creating a sheet... Where is the pleasure?
To look at sheet or at movie?
Sometimes you'll discover the sheet is more nice then the movie itself and then... It is just a waist of time. ;)
To much PM's...

Offline tachita

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »
great work ....
keep it so....!

Offline thumbgen

• ThumbGen's Developer
    • ThumbGen
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 06:18:02 am »
Thanks!

I am working hard now to finish full automatic mode and importers from ANT movie catalog and Collectorz Movie Collector before end of month (when I'll be off for a Holiday).  So I really hope I can have another release till end of month ;)

When I am back... I'll start working on a full featured Templates Editor  ;D
Get ThumbGen!

Offline Ormbett

• B8a Tester
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 11:30:24 am »
The coverflow effect looks really nice. Too bad it´s static images. I think it would look even nicer if the centered/highlighted cover was slightly larger, but that is just my opinion. Good work!  :)

Kind regards
Ormbett
•250ml water (cold or soda water)
•200g flour (325 ml)
•400 ml heavy/whipping cream
•butter
Serve with cloudberries and whipped cream!