Author Topic: Why mede8er did not recognize de WD external Disk  (Read 4232 times)

Offline digital

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Why mede8er did not recognize de WD external Disk
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:36:37 AM »
Hi,

What can I do?

I have two external Hard disks 4TB.
One of them is conected before to my mede8er and is full of movies.
The other one contains other kind of files and never are conected to the mede8er.
The first, suddenly, after I remove one item to the data of Jukebox, never more appears (Media Library - USB).
So I try the other one, and is the same, it did not appears at the Media Library - USB.
So the mede8er did not recognize these two external disks. I have another one, these is 2TB and it works.
So I try the two 4TB external disks in other two mede8er media players of friends of mine. The result is the same - The mede8er did not recognize the USB external disks.
So I think the problem is the two disks but when I conected these usb external disks to the computer, the computer show them and the files are good.
I just take away every files (folders with movies and folders of jukebox) and format again the disk. After I put the se one movie - conected the disk to the mede8er and the result is the same - THE DISK IS NOT RECoGNIZED at the mede8er.
So I make the FULL ERASE or ZERO FILL (8 or 9 hours for nothing) format again and the mede8er did not recognized the disk but the computer do and when I go to the disk maneger appears  - Disk at good condition.
So what is wrong and what can I do?

Offline Aziraphale

• X3D Skin Designer
Re: Why mede8er did not recognize de WD external Disk
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:26:30 AM »
Are these 4TB drives USB powered or do they have there own power supply ?  If USB powered could just be the Mede8er can't supply enough power for the 4TB.  Not all USB ports are created the same and bigger drives normal use a bit more power.  Try using a powered USB Hub.  If they have power supplies, power is not going to be your problem.

The other thing that could stop your Mede8er being seen is a unrecognised partition type.  So you could remove the current partition(s) on the 4TB and re-partition with a standard NTFS partition.

If your really unlucky the USB Controller chip in the 4TB enclosures are just not compatible with the Mede8er and there's nothing you can really do.   

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:48:20 AM by Aziraphale »

Offline digital

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
Thanks for reply.

Yes there are power supply (there are model WD Elements) and one of them still work before with the mede8er.

You said: "you could remove the current partition(s) on the 4TB and re-partition with a standard NTFS partition." please could you explain the steps to do that.
If that is going to the disk manager (on the computer) and change the name (Letter) and after that format the disk. If is this I do that after do the full erase (zeros fill) if is not this please show me the steps to do that.
thanks

Offline Aziraphale

• X3D Skin Designer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Here's a video of how to remove a partition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_JSZUDcUw

Just be sure you have the 4TB drive selected, delete each partition (if more than one).  Once you have deleted all partitions, right click on Unallocated space and select create new partition after that it's pretty easy to figure out. It will format the drive automatically.

You don't need a zero fill erase.  You may want to rename the drive to something more meaningful.

If doing this does not work it means your med8er does not like the USB Controller in the WD Enclosures and nothing can be done.

Offline digital

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
Hi,
Thanks Again,

I Try what you told me but it did not result. When I connect the Wd the mede8er do not show me these devise.
you said: " If doing this does not work it means your med8er does not like the USB Controller in the WD Enclosures" it is not possible change the usb controller or so other think to solve these or I can really nothing to do.

Offline Aziraphale

• X3D Skin Designer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 03:41:13 AM »
You could try using a USB Hub, hopefully the Med8er would see the Hub and the Hub will see the WD 4TB.

I have had this work with a PC that wouldn't see an external drive so you may get lucky, thou you may have to try a few Hubs first.  If that works you would be able to use both WD 4TB at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:20:55 AM by Aziraphale »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
You must have drives which power on and mount whwn USB 5v appears. This is a very old way of controling a drive. Modern drives require explict leave standy and mount commands, which they will never get.

Offline digital

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
Thanks to all,

Sorry Jer1956 but I don't understand your post. Could you explain by other form.

Do you said the sugestion to use a hub to connect the external drives will not result? Or it is other alternative to try?
Please explain better for me because I am not an expert in this kind of thinks.
Thanks

Offline digital

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »
Hi,

Another thing strange that happened before the mede8er fail to recognize the Wd external Hard Disk is when I zapping at the Media Library or Favorites the screen suddenly turn green and I must turn off the mede8er and turn on again not at the remote control ( it did not work) but in the button and after zapping a little more again and again the screen turn green.

Today this upon again. I am afraid that upon the same with this external HDD.

I don't know what is this, and if this is serious and how to solve it.

The fail to recognize the external HDD and the green screen could be related?