Author Topic: Any new skin suggestions  (Read 2627 times)

Offline SodaPoP Dima

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Any new skin suggestions
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:40:03 AM »
I was wondering if there is anything anyone can suggest that possibly omits the YouTube artwork and link since its a non functional component anyway.  Was hoping for some nice new graphics for version 4.02

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: Any new skin suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
The lastest patch, patch 2, links Youtube to a warning message and has a direct link to videosearchxl. It's no longer hidden deep inside the menu system.

https://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,19488.0.html

A skin could not bypass the cursor control wanting to stop at the youtube option. We are still using the ages old 4.0.2. Only minor tweaks by manually patching the built firmware are possible. The software tools where always in the hands of Mele, and now shelved by them.  They have moved onto ARM based coding.

I doubt any other 1186/1185 supplier is trying to fix issues. You will just be told to upgrade to the latest ARM player.

I'm sorry if new buyers are frustrated. But I have spent a lot time time trying to keep this outdated player going for those who bought 5 years ago. They understand the situation. They don't want to upgrade to ARM if they don't have too. It still remains one of the best BD disk Rip players.

The forum is here to make long term users happy to keep the player. It can't help those who bought thinking they had bought 2017 technology.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:36:37 PM by jer1956 »

Offline SodaPoP Dima

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
I totally understand what you are saying, I have had this for years now, and it is surprisingly still handling modern day files which really states how ahead of its time the unit was.

I just thought a newer skin, which omits the YouTube link, would be possible, so you can completely omit even accidentally clicking it.  I do get the warning as you mentioned, it would just be a convenience for when the kids use the remote.

Thank you for the reply though it is appreciated.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »
Unlike other players the skin is just a skin. It cannot drive the underlying logic. With others a skin defines pick points and what they can do. Not so with Realtek.

And there is a huge catalog of skins now, many by users who have moved on to Arm players like the Zidoo. Getting the prominent YouTube link to do "something" other than hang was the best we could do.

It was  felt we should not  try to push VideosearchXL "as" Youtube. Hence the solutiin implemented.

VideosearchXL is not perfect. It uses the API's YouTube, Vimeo and Dailymotiin have to find videos. But the videos are played via our trailer source who may not be able to remove the block on them playing. Getting a cross in the middle can be frustrating.....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:40:40 AM by jer1956 »