Author Topic: cant connect to network  (Read 1163 times)

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
cant connect to network
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
hi all,

have just had to change my router and now my med 500x wont see my network...tried the auto network set up and it hasn't worked...tried some recommended settings for the manual set up and that hasn't worked either.

have also upgraded to the latest firmware..and been back into windows 7 and gone through the sharing options ...and all the shared options for all my movie and tv folders...

still no joy

can anyone help a luddite out please?

cheers

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
Re: cant connect to network
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:16 pm »
right ..think I know where I might be going wrong  :-\

i take it i have to manually set up a shortcut in the mede8ers network settings?...I'm sure it just appeared there before but not sure.

manually typing in a short cut ....i think i need to type in 'mede8er' in user name (as i have an pc user account in this name as per set up suggestions)

...in sharing i have 'no password needed...so I'm assuming i can leave that space blank

...for the last setting ...the ip address bit...do i have to input something there...ie DNS ip address or the ip address that comes up in the mede8ers auto dns set up?

sorry for being a dullard but would like to get this thing up and running again

cheers

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:33:36 pm »
spent a couple of days now going through previous posts and user guides on here and still cant get the mede8er to see my network.

anyone going to help a guy out.

this thing has always been a nightmare to get to work every time something changes in the chain.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +191/-53
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:03:33 pm »
Not a Fritzbox by any chance?

Offline moi427

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »
Same problem for me unfortunately, also already for a week. I also tried everything I read in this forum etc., but no succes. Adding a shortcut as a trick/workaround only works with connectiong to my PC but not to my Thecus N5550 NAS. That keeps telling me "login failed".
The problem here is the same for both of my Mede8er's 400x, they both stopped seeing the network at the same moment.
The only thing I can remenber is that I first had both UTP-cables from my router to two different switches and because needing more UTP-connections put another switch directly near the router (so then each Mede8er was connected via 2 switches). The entire network works like it always did, only the Mede8ers don't anymore  :-\ :'(
I also already put a UTP cable of one of the Mede8er's back on the router, had the power disconnected for long, etc. etc. etc. but no difference: the network isn't showing and the login fails.
So HELP is here wanted very much too!!!!! :o :o

Offline moi427

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:52:53 pm »
Btw also installed latest firmware, tried changing adresses of DNS etc., nothing makes any difference. Bit desperate.

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
Had the same thing happened when I've changed routers before when I moved....networking seems problematic for a lot of people....

Looked through my old posts to see what was done to get it working but there doesn't appear to have been a definitive solution......probably just decided to work.

The major thing is I've no idea where the problem is.....with the PC.....the medere8er....the router ...all the network?!

Can always get my other devices to connect OK

Offline moi427

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:52 pm »
Same here, no clue where to look further since my entire network works fine as usual, except for both Mede8er's.... Weird and rather frustrating.

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:37:42 am »
hopefully someone will come along with some ideas on what to do to get it working

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 08:39:27 am »
Check on a PC the IPv4 DNS server allocated by the router. Is it a LAN IP, or an internet IP?

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
with mine

....the local area connection properties is saying that the ipv4 connectivity is internet

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:29 am »
In Details, what is the IPv4 DNS server IP 4 field number? Is it similar to the Gateway number?

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:09 am »
they are the same except for the last number..

the ipv4 address ends 212

the others ..the ipv4 default gateway .....the ipv4 DHCP server and the DNS server values  end in 1

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:10:07 am »
I'm guessing I might have to manually input some figures there.... in the network adapter properties?

anyone any ideas what exactly I should type in and where.

Offline reevesy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
also

just followed a bit in the tips and tutorials....I entered <ip-address seen on Mede8er setup menu>.  in command prompt on my win 7 pc and got back

'Ip address seen on mede8er set menu ...the syntax of the command is incorrect