Author Topic: TV Scraper issue. Fixed. December 2017.  (Read 100423 times)

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: TV Scraper issue. August 2017.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
I'm afraid app and tools created by third parties are more likely to get fixed than Mede8er supplied code. If the new beta of Tvrename has issues please report them on it's thread. 

Offline Fallen69

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Is 2.3b1 of the TV Rename working yet?  I can get the previous version working but 2.3b1 returns no search results.  The previous version runs but crashes a lot.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

Offline moodybluesman

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-1
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »
Looks like there won't be any updates. I bought my X3D - V3 this year and it's obsolete already. Still selling on Amazon for £308.95, shocking!

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »
Personally, I enjoyed almost 3 years of use of my X6003D so I suppose I should count myself lucky. Replacing it is proving to be a very difficult task however because the closest seems to be the Dune player but that uses the old Sigma chip too so it is useless.

The Android offerings are competitively priced but most only support USB 2.0 whereas all my drives are USB 3.0. In fact the only one that looks to be a potential replacement is the Nvidia Shield TV player. I got very close to ordering it but wisely checked out their community forum to see what owners felt about it. It appears Nvidia have just released an update called "Experience 6.0" which has practically bricked everyone's player and at the moment there is no fix available, nor have they stopped the update from downloading so it's off the buying list until they address that.

Any suggestions for a player as good as the Med8er would be most welcome.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
Just change how you view mediaplayback. It dosn't have to be everything in one box. Many people end up using a tablet or phone as the GUI, not the player, and the media on a NAS. Longevity is far more achievable by using a remote PC as a combined NAS and media manager, and control it in the viewing room with a tablet. No more finding the codecs in the box under the TV are out of date, or it's GUI speed stuck in the stone age.

My X3D is now used in DMR mode more often than not.

My current project is run a PC player outputting via Airplay, and hosting linux in a virtual box as an airplay to dmr bridge. The aim is stream music to multiple airplay and dmr's at the same time. The building blocks are there. Getting them to work together is the issue.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:21:45 AM by jer1956 »

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
You and I speak different languages. Yours' is loaded with techtalk which flies over my head. I haven't a clue what a DMR is? As an old retired gent I'm pretty much old school so everything has to be explained to me in longhand. Heck, most of my Mede8er's functions were never used because I couldn't understand them, nor the user manual. I'm probably in the minority but I'll bet I'm not alone in that regard.

Unlike most users, I don't have a TV. Mine is hooked up to a projector and I like having all the jackets displayed on the 3 metre wide screen. It makes it simple for the whole family and guests to see and read descriptions together; not something we could achieve with a tablet. But I'm sure you idea is very good.

Another thing that turns me off the Nvidia Shield TV player is its gaming aspect. While that is likely Nirvana for most youngsters, I want a player that just streams Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube content while also reading films and TV series from a hard drive and BluRay player.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
Mediaplaying is a broad church. There are those who just want a simple box, connect and play via the remote. There are others who end up with box under the tv as just one unit in a complex home entertainment network. Trying to keep the one box solution going is getting more and more difficult. Smart TV's have taken over that job.

Offline moodybluesman

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-1
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
I loved my mede8er box under my TV, all my TV series and movies in MKV, and music videos in iso, 3.5 GB which took me months to sort out adding info and pics to TVDB etc. I'm just glad I got most of it done before this happened. I also stream my Ripnas to the mede8er which plays audio through my old hi-fi so that I have a flac music jukebox with everything displayed on my TV, great stuff. It's just the images that aren't scraped, the series / episode information is all there so I just add the jpegs manually, a pain but better than nothing. Will we eventually lose the text files too?    Perhaps there is something on this site that could do the job? http://www.futeko.com/browse.php?cat=mp
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:32:41 PM by moodybluesman »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
The cause of the issue is known. The problem is third party sources of scrape keep moving on and changing their software. Clients have to change to keep up. That is difficult at this stage of the X3D's lifecycle. There is no longer a coding team creating new features to put that on hold to change API software as needed.

Offline Spike30

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »
as of today when i scan a new serie it only finds the info of the serie not of the episodes anybody else with this problem.  Or can i scrape my series on my computer?  I have a mac. thank you

Offline kazza61

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
There has been a major API change stopping the player scraping TV.

They hope to fix the https issue some time in October.

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,10729.0.html

Is there any update on this? Could I also ask who it is that is working on a fix? Is it the Mede8er team who are hoping to resolve or is the TVDB people who are looking to provide a fix for devices that use their output? Many thanks.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
Is there any update on this? Could I also ask who it is that is working on a fix? Is it the Mede8er team who are hoping to resolve or is the TVDB people who are looking to provide a fix for devices that use their output? Many thanks.
TVDB created the problem by phasing out their older API. They kept running with two API's for longer than expected. The trouble is there is no Software Team to routinely update the code in advance of chaos. It's become a fire fighting exercise, deciding what fires to fight, and which to ignore.

A first attempt at using API 2.0 was put on the server for use by testers. Some may have found it by accident. But it didn't work. The new test version is only linked to new registrations. That is, Restore Defaults and get the Scraper Approval screen again. Most people shouldn't do that every day on the off chance a test build is on the server. If they think it's worth trying, i will tell you to go thriugh that process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:09:49 AM by jer1956 »

Offline kazza61

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »
TVDB created the problem by phasing out their older API. They kept running with two API's for longer than expected. The trouble is there is no Software Team to routinely update the code in advance of chaos. It's become a fire fighting exercise, deciding what fires to fight, and which to ignore.

A first attempt at using API 2.0 was put on the server for use by testers. Some may have found it by accident. But it didn't work. The new test version is only linked to new registrations. That is, Restore Defaults and get the Scraper Approval screen again. Most people shouldn't do that every day on the off chance a test build is on the server. If they think it's worth trying, i will tell you to go thriugh that process.

Thanks for the detailed update - much appreciated. Fingers crossed a workaround is sorted as I love the X3D. It is (was?) perfect for my needs.

Offline bix

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
Hello All,

Please can someone assist and tell us how to resolve the scrape issue with TV series. Like other users I also get a black square and nothing else. Would really be great if someone can tell us step by step how to overcome this issue.