Author Topic: Some queries before I buy an MED800X3D/WP  (Read 1051 times)

Offline dortmunder

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
Some queries before I buy an MED800X3D/WP
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:37:11 am »
Hi.  The only media player I've ever had is a WDTV Live Hub which I now need to replace and it looks likely I'll get the MED800X3D/WP.  I'd like to ask a few questions first, though:

Does the MED allow me to create as many folders on the HDD as I like?

In a folder containing videos with different names and different extensions, will the MED automatically play the next file after the current one ends?

Is the FF and REW of videos smooth? (The WDTV was hopeless at this.)

I had my WDTV wired to the router.  The router to the PC was wireless.  With that setup, I could drag/drop files to the WDTV from my PC.  Presumably I can do that with the MED?

And will I need the 2 antennas if the MED is wired to the router?  (The WDTV had no antennas).

Would I be able to put the HDD from my WDTV straight into the MED?

Anyone answering has my grateful thanks.

Offline monkeywash

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +6/-0
Re: Some queries before I buy an MED800X3D/WP
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »
Hope this helps you...

Does the MED allow me to create as many folders on the HDD as I like?

Yes it does.

In a folder containing videos with different names and different extensions, will the MED automatically play the next file after the current one ends?

Yes it can be set to do that.

Is the FF and REW of videos smooth? (The WDTV was hopeless at this.)

FF is ok, REW is terrible.

I had my WDTV wired to the router.  The router to the PC was wireless.  With that setup, I could drag/drop files to the WDTV from my PC.  Presumably I can do that with the MED?

Yes you can.

And will I need the 2 antennas if the MED is wired to the router?  (The WDTV had no antennas).

No antennas are needed if wired.

Would I be able to put the HDD from my WDTV straight into the MED?

Don't know this for sure, but I can't see why not.

Hope all this helps, but I wouldn't be being honest if I didn't say that the Meds are now past end of life and truly, if I were you I would be looking at something more up to date.

Meds have served me and a lot of people who have been on this forum for many years very well indeed, but unfortunately they have become the hardware equivalent of abandonware.

Although I still have 2 Meds running at home now, I have moved to Dune Solo 4K devices for serious film viewing - much faster, better image quality and with good 4K support which is becoming very relevant these days.

I'm probably stepping out of line a bit on this forum saying that, but it would be unfair to anybody looking to buy into Meds at this time not to mention the alternatives.

Mark

Offline dortmunder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:27:20 am »
Many thanks for that, monkeywash, I like your honesty.  Since I posted, I discovered the Zidoo X10 which seems to have a lot going for it.  It beats the Dune in terms of HDMI, USB and HDD size yet is 100 less.

Offline monkeywash

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:10:14 am »
Be careful - the Zidoo is just another one of many android boxes - the Meds and Dunes of this world are a different beast and in a different league. Depends what you're after.

If you want to use a lot of online content, then an android box may be the way to go, but I'm more interested in streaming my own high bitrate rips, so something with a decent dedicated SOC (system on a chip) and not a messed with phone OS is the way to go for me.

But android boxes are cheap and cheerful, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Zapiti is also worth a look, but I found it to be a bit of a walled garden, which is ok if you're not a control freak :)

Offline dortmunder

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
Like you, I'm not overly bothered about Netflix and the like, I just want to watch the stuff I've made or downloaded.  Anyway, I've made my choice and it's nothing like I had originally planned - I'm getting a MECOOL M8S Pro+ onto which I'm putting Kodi LibreELEC as the operating system.  It's all new to me but I'm being guided by a Libre programmer who says it a great system.  And dirt cheap, too.

All the best to you.

Offline monkeywash

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
Brilliant - the best thing about this hobby is there isn't one correct answer to most questions and we can all divert off on parallel or not so parallel paths - and to be fair, the journey is what it's all about..

Have fun and enjoy :)

Offline JohnWB

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:53 am »
I have a MED600X3D and I am thinking about getting a Dune HD Solo Lite which seems to be similar to the 600 but more up to date.

has anyone done a comparison between the two.

I really like the 600 screen layout and the way it plays anything (except some of the latest files).

I have tried some of the Andriod boxes (Wetek Play2 and Raspberry pi2) which work well they but have an unfriendly interface which my wife is not very happy with.
Sony KDL-50W829B, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV2, NowTV, Airport Extremes

Offline dortmunder

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:32:37 pm »
John - I've just bought a Dune HD Solo Lite.  Superb, you won't be disappointed if you get one.

Offline JohnWB

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
Thanks for that, I must say it does sound good.

I have looked on the web trying to find a good video of it working but they all just show how to set it up.

You wouldn't happened to be in the North East of England would you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:35:46 pm by JohnWB »
Sony KDL-50W829B, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV2, NowTV, Airport Extremes

Offline dortmunder

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:33:23 am »
No, miles away...  I'll say this though:
Boot time is more than acceptable.  I've never had a bootfail yet (unlike my last android box).
The 'time seek' functions are excellent, you can skip in instalments of 10secs, 1min or 10mins and with the number keys, you can jump to 10%. 20% etc.  The 'skip' is instant, no lag.
You have a lot of control over subtitles size, position on screen and SIX colours to choose from.
The remote has all the necessary buttons unlike these new ones.
It doesn't play DivX out of the box so if you buy one, download this patch:
dunehelp.ru/wp-content/uploads/utils/dune_service_enable_divx.dsf
Simply put the dsf onto a stick, the stick into the Dune, navigate to it, press Enter on the remote and after the 'Success' message, do a full reboot.
It uses the 'scraper' system to catalogue your movies.  I have no interest in this at all.  My vids are already named and in a folder structure that I like and I want to keep them that way.  Unfortunately, the Dune cannot search your collection but a phone app called X-plore can.

I've tried a cheap android box, a cheap android box running LibreELEC/Kodi, an expensive android box (Minix) and the Dune.  Dune wins hands down.  I'll be deleting this thread from my bookmarks in a week.  All the best.