Author Topic: Freeware NFS  (Read 20720 times)

Offline Maudrid

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Freeware NFS
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:01:40 am »
I've been having problems using network shares (SAMBA) on Windows 7 with the Mede8er, so I decided to try NFS.
There are many Shareware and Pay products out there and it took me a while to find a freeware or open source one that works.
I found this freeware one, TrueGrid NFS Server for Windows and it works on Windows 7 too.
It's quite old-school in it's setup. If you want to give it a bash here is where I downloaded it from:
http://www.serassio.it/download/download.htm

On Windows 7 you can ignore the part of the installation instructions that have you editing your host file. Probably on windows XP too. This part is more for Windows 98 and older.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:05:55 am by Maudrid »

Offline beartiger

Re: Freeware NFS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:17:40 pm »
Thanks for this, but can you assist and advise where you add your shares, I have read the documentation and it seems a little unclear in that respect.

many thanks

beartiger
Mede8er MED500X (HDMI Video & Coaxial Digital Audio Passthrough)
Pioneer VSA-E03 Dolby Digital 5.1 AMP
Panasonic Viera TX-P37X10B 37" Plasma TV
Devolo HD 200mbps HomePlug Network

Offline Maudrid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:59:01 pm »
Sure.
There is a file called 'exports', you add the folders you want to share in there.
Mine, for example, has:
/c -path=c:\
/d -path=d:\

at the end after the "# Sample file to get started.  Be sure to add -access=host1:host2..." line

Offline beartiger

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:24:48 am »
Mede8er MED500X (HDMI Video & Coaxial Digital Audio Passthrough)
Pioneer VSA-E03 Dolby Digital 5.1 AMP
Panasonic Viera TX-P37X10B 37" Plasma TV
Devolo HD 200mbps HomePlug Network

Offline G M R

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »
Hi!

I tested this software on my Windows 7 machine, but it just give me error boxes that says: StartServiceCtrlDispatcher Failed.
This is when I try to start the application portmap.exe and nfs.exe.
I have followed the install.txt from top to bottom, but can't figured out what gives this errors.  ???
Hopes that someone here can help me.

regards,
G M R

Offline Maudrid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:20:18 pm »
I'm sorry I can't help you. I installed according to the instructions and just skipped the host file part.
I'm not having any problems and I'm no expert on this field. :(

Offline G M R

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
Hi again!

I manage to get it running now :D
I did it all from the beginning, deleted all the files, unziped the archive back in the folder and did the installation instructions all over (except for the host file).
Maybe it was that I'd tryed to get it running in compatibility mode before.
I don't know, just happy it works. :)

regards
G M R

Offline Maudrid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:58 pm »
Good to hear. Enjoy.

Offline G M R

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:47 pm »
Ok, So I have played around a bit with the program now to give it my side of view.

First of all the reason why I got the error message (StartServiceCtrlDispatcher Failed) before, was because all the commands are case sensitive and must therefore be written with small letters. The same error message will show if you type in a command that doesn't exist.  ::)
Another thing to think of, is when you set up your NFS direction on the player. Also here is the letters to the alias for the mapped directory case sensitive and must be written just the way you named them in the file exports.

When it comes to the installation commands nfs add and portmap add, you set the NFS Server to startup automatic the next time windows start. Which I see as an security issue. Especially when you not can setup to give permission only to the player, because it doesn't come with a unitname on the network. (Something to add for the to-do-list in an update for the player maybe? ;) )
You can remove the automatic startup with the commands nfs remove and portmap remove. But then the program will not start, because it needs them to be added.  ???

Therefore I came up with this batch script to run when you need access from the player:
Code: [Select]
portmap add
nfs add
nfs start
PAUSE
nfs stop
portmap stop
nfs remove
portmap remove

Save the batch file where you put the NFS program.
The pause command makes the script halt until you press enter, after that it stops the NFS Server and remove the automatic startup of the program. :)

Thanks goes to Maudrid, for the share of this program.
And like he said: Enjoy. ;)

Thats all for now, over and out.

regards
G M R
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:29:58 pm by G M R »

Offline Maudrid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »
You can use the add command to add these exes as services.
If you don't want them to start automatically, you can go the windows services and change the startup options there.
Then you don't need the batch file to remove them, you just start the services when needed.