Author Topic: Split second pauses whilst streaming over network...  (Read 6195 times)

Offline merchantord

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
Split second pauses whilst streaming over network...
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
I've had my X3D for a while now and I've recently noticed an issue that crops up from time to time and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I might diagnose the problem.

My network is all wired using cat5e cable. Occasionally when I am streaming a feed through the X3D I will get these split second pauses and then the feed continues. It's not the video file itself because returning to the point where it occurred doesn't reproduce the fault. It doesn't happen all of the time or on every file. There's a disturbing randomness to it.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed in investigating the matter. If anyone has any suggestions or questions please don't hesitate to respond.

Many thanks.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: Split second pauses whilst streaming over network...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
What is the source, and is it using samba or NFS?

Spe115

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
Hi merchantord,

I'm guessing you're streaming using samba?
Are those files blu-ray rips?

For samba it is known to have limited bandwidth wich can cause these stutters especially with blu-ray rips.

Therefor it is usefull to look in to sharing using NFS as it can stream with more bandwidth and might solve your problem.
Try search this forum, there's a lot of topics on this.

Hope this Will help.

With regards,

Spe115

Windows 10 Pro
Med1000X3D
Harman Kardon AVR161
Verbonden via TP-LINK TL-SG1005D + TP-Link SG1008D Gigabit switches
LG 42LF2510 tv

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
I also have found the NFS v Samba protocol question to be paramount. But a new parameter presented itself to me the other day that at least is something to consider.

All my streaming is hard-wired and I've never had an issue. For our wireless devices I upgraded from N to AC a few weeks ago and bought a TP-Link Archer C8 router. Wireless performance seemed to be fine, but all my streaming developed hiccups, similar to your problem but perhaps lasting a bit longer. I couldn't stream from the net without it interrupting 5-25 times, nor could I watch local media files without at least a few pauses.

I didn't expect the router would affect hard-wired streaming in that fashion, but when I again replaced the router, all was well.

Offline merchantord

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
Streaming from a WD My Book and another time from a WD My Cloud. I have used both Samba and NFS protocols and it has occurred on both of them.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
Hardly Media Streaming Quality devices. Just check out the NAS section to see what others are buying.

How is it networked?

Offline merchantord

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »
Your opinion is duly noted but it has been working fine (and often still does) until recently on those "inferior" devices.

Also I headed over to the NAS section and I didn't see a lengthy list of what people are buying just a few posts of what people are having problems with. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:25:19 PM »
What do you expect...this isn't a review forum. They have bought more expensive kit than you, with or without issues.

You still havn't described how its networked.

I have an 8 core AMD FX based PC which i use as a server, and it pauses using Samba, even though the cpu, disk and networking loads are next to nothing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:46:05 PM by jer1956 »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »
As Jer1956 said, you are not using really powerfull NAS streaming devices.

If this worked properly in the past, you might just consider to power all your netwerk kit off and then start with your router and after that the other stuff in your network. It might improve things as a clear start clears all kind of buffers and tables.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jayveetechnologies

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 02:52:31 AM »
Samba vs NFS has had little impact on performance these days. Standard Blu-Ray disks require only 54mbps MAX. With 3D BD, I think the max is 72mbps (but not 100% sure on the 3D BD one). In fact as of 2011, Microsoft actually started contributing code to Samba.

If you check the benchmarks, the performance difference for both reading and writing seems to be negligible for large files. I haven't run a test myself though honestly though to see if that holds for streaming. We actually use SMB for our showroom (without any problems).

But, we have come across many routers (and switches) with issues honestly. In particular, early 802.11ac routers seemed to have serious bugs. Also, we've tested "Gigabit" switches such as the cheap Linksys ones and they also had issues. The WD devices also may not provide sufficient throughput (on your computer, try streaming a file off them and check the performance)

If you have Sonos, assume network loops though (better routers simply make the loops it creates less obvious).

Offline merchantord

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »
I thought that I responded to this one ages ago but apparently not. Thanks everyone for their input. I solved this some time back with the purchase of an Asustor NAS.

Offline kikkoman

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
So you just replaced your NAS?  I have the QNap TS-431 and its not the beefiest of NAS's, so maybe that is part of the issue?  Who knows. But I've had issues with lagging and it's killing me.  I just manually just attach multiple USB's to mede8er device to watch w/o lag.

Although I didn't think trying to just connect the NAS via usb straight to the mede8er device.  May try that to see what happens.  Still don't have all movies on the NAS since I have like 16GB and NAS only has 12GB.