Author Topic: Problem with Synology DS216se  (Read 3002 times)

Offline sfountas

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Problem with Synology DS216se
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:34:12 pm »
Hi all,

I wish you a Happy New Year.

I am an owner of a Mede8er 600. Recently i bought a Synology DS216se in order to make a Mediacenter and playing all my files (videos) through NAS. I have already used my mede8er playing my files with samba, sharing the files of my pc.
My problem is that when i start playing a movie through Synology (samba or NFS) after 5-10 min it freezes. It continues playing after a minute and again after 5-10min freezes again etc.

Do you know what happens???

I am an owner of another media player also (Appstreamer G) and it has no problem at all playing files from synology.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: Problem with Synology DS216se
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »
The issue you have is most likely some network streaming issue.
That can be caused by many different factors, some things just to look at:
- a bad quality network cable (use good quality cat5 or higher)
- NFS not configured correct
* set jumbo frames off on synology side
* set nfs mode on mede8er side at UDP, if that still gives issues, set it to TCP mode (always restart your mede8er after changing this parameter)
* set nfs rsize on mede8er side to 32k
- a bad performing router or switch (what model do you use and does it have gbit or is it only 100bt)
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jayveetechnologies

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:25:16 am »
If you have Sonos in your house, disconnect it (80% of Sonos installs we see, are installed in a way that causes loops).

There are a few things to try otherwise:
  • The NAS you have is actually the lowest end synology. Ensure you can sustain at least 54mbps copying (7MB/s) for Blu-Rays. Ensure you also have features like Indexing turned off on the Synology (it may help)
  • Try to remove as many switches from the equation as possible.. Keep in mind that the cheap Gigabit linksys switches, we found do not have reliable throughput. Some extremely cheap switches seem to have issues
  • Are you using WiFi? Don't.. It is ALWAYS unreliable..
  • As mentioned, it could be cabling..
  • Ensure your synology and Mede8er have updated firmware (we found that version 2.0.0 on the Mede8er 1000X3D was unstable)
  • Run a ping test.. ping -n 10000 IP, and test your router and the Mede8er. If the ping isn't extremely low (30ms or less 90% of the time, you have networking issues)
  • Keep in mind that some routers are rubbish. We actually confirmed an 802.11ac one was causing stuttering issues once
  • If using a Smart / managed Switch/router with Energy Efficient Ethernet, turn off the EEE feature. EEE has caused no shortage of trouble

Hope that helps,
Andy