Author Topic: [Tip] Workaround for recent Java issues  (Read 37796 times)

Offline OldskoolOrion

• Helpful Contribution Status: +7/-0
  • I like Pi !
[Tip] Workaround for recent Java issues
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
Workaround, so you CAN update Java JRE/JDK, now and in the future :

* No need to disable newer versions of Java to get Y2M working again.
* No need to set JavaPaths, Library-directories, JAVA_HOME, or any of that crap in your environment, or change these if you already have those variables set.

- trimmed down original java 1.70_45 tested working with Y2M : can probably still lose a ton of included libraries for instance, but I leave that up to you.

- keep that java/bin folder in your Y2M folder, so no other programs will make use of the older framework.

- simple batch file which starts Y2M, after you change 2 simple lines in it : your Y2M installation location + the location where you dumped the java\bin folder. use full paths for both.(no administrator rights are needed, unless you need them to run Y2M (shouldnt be needed tho).

Batch file is included as attachment, but also uploaded together with zipped java-packaged.

Get both here :  https://mega.nz/#F!oohjTSTJ!HPJBMJc2_2A4iZeuw8liFw

Oh I forgot : two persons asked me what I meant in my previous post in this thread. I guess this is quicker, and apparently some people are glad to get a bit of help :)

Batch file does nothing weird, doesn't break anything, and only changes your path for the moment you run Y2M : when done, it is changed back in original state.   This changing is solely to make sure, it's working java-partner gets the upper hand and is used before the actually installed new version.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:11:09 AM by jer1956 »
Alphamale on betablockers !

Offline MrNuts

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
  • "Say ello to my little friend"
Re: [Tip] Workaround for recent Java issues
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
Brilliant mate, thanks for this :)

Offline ShanePienaar

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
Hi...followed your instructions but get message "this version of java not compatible with the window you are running"

Running win 7 32 bit professional
Any tips would be welcome

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
His included version must be 64 bit. Try and download that version for 32 bit CPU's from the Older version archive on the Java site.

Offline jbond8

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Thanks OldSkool!  That was a great solution for now.  I really appreciate it and that you made it so easy for us!   :D :D :D

Offline ShanePienaar

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi, downloaded Java 1.7_45 JDK from archive site extracted and pointed Y2M2.exe to directory.  Creates
Fanart and folder JPGs properly however about.jpg  is all messed up.   No text and a Mede8er logo bottom right

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
Hi, downloaded Java 1.7_45 JDK from archive site extracted and pointed Y2M2.exe to directory.  Creates
Fanart and folder JPGs properly however about.jpg  is all messed up.   No text and a Mede8er logo bottom right

You need to replace the supplied java in the zip with the 32 version, and then use  his tool to install it with y2m. So you need to force a copy from the archive, not an install.  Try right clicking on the link, and select Save as.

Offline ShanePienaar

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
hi...that's exactly what I did...Downloaded and extracted to directory and pointed y2m2 that dir

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »
This tip is not  about just using the old version. Are you using the CMD as supplied in this  tip?

If you have no intention of  using the cmd your posting in the wrong place.

Offline ShanePienaar

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
I am using the cmd

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
We can't see inside the cmd (which is why I prefer bat).

One common problem is on 64 bit Windows, the 32 bit program store is Program Files (x86). If that is embedded in the cmd, and run on 32 bit, then it wont find anything. You need to be able to change the path when creating batch files for 32 bit programs, and swapping between 64 bit and 32 bit windows.

Offline jbond8

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
Hi Shane,
There are 2 lines in the cmd file that need to be edited and changed.  You can open up the file using notepad.  The two lines reference where you java folder is installed and where the main programs exe is stored....see what mine looked like in the end...

:: edit the 2 lines below to let it reflect your situation
SET Y2MEXECUTABLE="C:\YAMJ\YAMJ\YAMJ_To_Mede8er_2.0.5.exe"
SET JAVABINFOLDER="C:\YAMJ\bin\"
:: no change needed below this line

If done successfully, you will use the CMD file to launch YAMJ from now on.  Once it launches...you can run YAMJ and scrape your files etc....then close YAMJ when finished and let the cmd file finish its routine.  As long as you don't change any other settings it should work just as it did before.

Hope this helps...

Offline wjmartens

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
I am running windows 8.1, 64 bit, nl, also configuration for yamj that it load dutch movie descriptions.
Followed the intrsuctions bu still, using the cmd, and see that java is switching to 7.45.
Running Yamj, still see that it's unable to contact the website, see below

Processing new video: Paddington
MovieMeterPluginSession: Unable to contact website
MovieMeterPluginSession: Unable to contact website
org.apache.xmlrpc.common.XmlRpcExtensionException: Null values aren't supported, if isEnabledForExtensions() == false
   at org.apache.xmlrpc.common.TypeFactoryImpl.getSerializer(TypeFactoryImpl.java:118)
   at org.apache.xmlrpc.serializer.XmlRpcWriter.writeValue(XmlRpcWriter.java:171)
Any suggestions what to do to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance
Wim

Offline wjmartens

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
Problem is solved, re-install, clean registry, see attachement and done.

Merry Christmas en Happy New Year

Offline wb1205

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »
I get the cmd file to work, goes thru the 2 steps and says its launching yamj, but it never launches.  So I manually launch while the I am running the older version of Java, but it appears that nothing works any better.

I specify the path to yamj but when I specify the and I don't get an error, but I also don't get the file to launch.  When I specify the file and add .exe is says it cant find the file (even though its there). 

Perhaps because I am running yamj off of a nas drive?  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!