Author Topic: Help with freeze issues (WD My book)  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Nachoman

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-6
Re: Help with freeze issues (WD My book)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »
wow, thats amazingly slow  :-X . well sir, i think u know enough.

u can still use that HDD, and put it in an USB casing and then u can still use it for torrents,
Because that HDD is reachable from your PC while it is connected too mede8er.

So your torrent download folder will actually be a networked drive  8)
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Denis Diderot

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +17/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
So further testing I used a software to test Network speeds, not using powerline it gives me 27mb write and 40mb read. If I go to the end of powerline all i can get is 5mb write and 7mb write...

I'm glad you were able to troubleshoot the problems as suggested and then prove that the Powerline kit was indeed the bottleneck!

Nachoman's suggestion of putting the physical hard drive into another case is a good one. Anything you can do to make access to today's massive media files faster and get them to your Mede8er without bottlenecks is the goal we all have now. We aren't dealing with 160x160 QuickTime .movs on 1.4MB floppies like we did 30 years ago. :)

Enjoy!

Offline Lemur

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »
Tx guys, but still, wont a wireless router+extender do better then the abnormal speeds of 5mbytes i was getting in powerline? Like a 300mbps norm (think its n) should max up at 40mbytes?

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +17/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »
It depends on distance, obstructions, and the hardware on both ends, but my feeling is that a good wireless n connection would be an improvement over the Powerline.

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »
in this case i think so too. but i still cant imagine wireless better then wired... am old fashioned though :P

wireless is getting better every year. here is something to read:

You generally won't get close to the "advertised" speed of the router. Even though the router says "300 mbps" output, chances are you will get a fraction of that in normal conditions. Even right next to the router, you might be lucky to get 80-90 mbps on such a router (depending on the device, a smartphone will probably be even slower). To add to the noise, any other routers in the area that are overlapping your channel in the slightest will also cause a loss in bandwidth. As will other devices, electronics, walls, etc. The top rated (highly expensive) wireless N routers generally come nowhere near the "advertised speed." The Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight for example is a dual band 600mbps N router (2.4/5ghz) - the fastest speed it achieved in the same room was about 120mbps (perfect conditions) on the 5Ghz spectrum, and about 50mbps on the 2.4ghz spectrum. In the next room with a wall between, the speeds were cut in half 60mbps for 5ghz, and 20mbps on 2.4ghz. That is one of the highest rated wireless N routers. The new AC routers like the Netgear Nighthawk have seen speeds (on AC only) of 400mbps however, so the speed are improving.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1642166/wireless-real-world-speed.html

So it might become a very expensive test :|
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Denis Diderot

Offline Lemur

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 06:08:18 pm »
u talking in bits? 120megabits in 5ghz spectrum = 15mbytes? thats not even enough for 720p(hd) is it? I mean when you say full had needs about 40mb, its bytes correct? not bits

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 09:24:34 pm »
doesnt matter what spectrum it is. 120mbit = 120 mbit.

120mb/s divided by 8 = 15MB/s indeed.

I have had 1080p movies that would spike to 50 megabits/s. That was the absolute highest i ever got. So 40 mbits/s should be enough. but u have little or no overhead left.

Yes, 1080p Full HD needs about 40 mb/s. Remember... b=bits and B=Bytes!
 I always write MB/s and mb/s.

Another test:

- Locatie A: about 3 meters distance without walls
- Locatie B: about 6 meters distance with a few walls

NOTE: These are MB/s !

EXAMPLE: Locatie A download in ORANGE, is 17MB/s = 136 mbits/s. This is 2.4 GHz band.
EXAMPLE: Locatie B download in GREEN, is 29MB/s = 232 mbit/s. this is 5 GHz band.

remember, 5GHz is higher frequency, it will not penetrate far into walls.. 2,4 GHz will be stable at greater distance.

So this guy tested this router: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/

on various places in his house, with various WIFI USB network sticks in his laptop.(the EAN66 and the Intel6300)

So it looks very promising for you if you buy this wireless N router.

But still... this is a pretty expensive one, 150 dollars (144 euro's)

and i still think it would be cheaper and better to just buy an USB HDD enclosure for 10 euro's, hook it up to mede8er, and use it at the same time as a networked download location for your torrents.

U have to leave the Mede8er on while downloading though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:47:26 pm by Nachoman »

Offline couto

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +6/-1
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:49 pm »
When i have med600 + mybook live 2tb (and 1000mbit router) i had "freeze problem" - now i change mybook on synology ds215j and problem still here.

Don't forget the network setting in Mede8er configurations  ( UDP + 32976) for synology users..
I have a DS4212+ with NO issues.
Med1000X3D
Anthem MRX-310
Mitsubishi HC5
LG Oled 1080P
100 inch screen
Video setting: 23,976Hz On, auto frame ON
Media Source: Wired Network > ds412+ synology
Router. Linksys E4200
Protocol : UDP 32K
Media Files:ISO 3D, MKV, FLAC

Offline Lemur

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 08:58:40 am »
Don't forget the network setting in Mede8er configurations  ( UDP + 32976) for synology users..
I have a DS4212+ with NO issues.

K now, this is "chinese" to me, what is "Synology"? And idd i didnt change anything on Meder, its like default settings (if you dont know how to dont do it?) should i change some valor there? like that UDP thingy? im running the last beta firmware btw