Author Topic: Help with freeze issues (WD My book)  (Read 26848 times)

Offline Lemur

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Help with freeze issues (WD My book)
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
Hello,

So I have bought a Med600X3D long ago, and I  have this issue since then, never understood why, but it seems there is alot of experts in this foruns, so maybe you guys know what is going on.

When I see mkv 1080 specialy, but somtimes in 720 as well, the image will freeze for some seconds, every like 3 minutes or so (i just wait), sometimes it doesnt freeze, it breaks slowly, i hit pause, and all goes good (like maybe its buffering?)

the problem is, I got all the movies in a external network HDD "MyBook Western Digital 2TB", then its connected to my Gigabit router, and from router it goes to "Powerline" TL-PA4020 KIT, then ends at my Med600... All with cables 5E (gigabit), so, im almost sure the problem is in the WD disk reading speeds?

I upgraded firmware several times, now im using the latest (4) and still same issue.

Any help would be apreciated

Tx

Offline Nachoman

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-6
Re: Help with freeze issues (WD My book)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »
fact that u use cat5E cables isnt saying anything, because there is a LOT of hardware in between you connection.

When reading this. i would test HDD directly on mede8er, to exclude that your HDD is to slow or broken, fragmented, or anything of the sorts.

If that turns out to work good, your HDD is fine, and your hardware is your bottleneck. its even worse with 1080p, so that suggests, higher bitrate/space is problematic, therefore no buffer problem perse, its just to slow to buffer at all. from USB to router, to powerline IN then powerline OUT then mede8er.... pfff.

thats asking for troubles.

Anyway, try to connect your HDD directly with USB plug. wee if it works then.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
The biggest bottleneck in your network is the Powerline kit. Can you bypass it as a test, running a single long Ethernet cable between the router and the 600 and see if that eliminates the freezing?

Offline Lemur

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
Will do, thought the power line was ok, like it says 500mbs /s dividing by 8 its like 60mbytes? should be enough

But ill try that, if it works, the problem will be how to seed/download other movies... actually I forgot to say that, while i see movies the hard drive is seeding, but I tried to turn off utorrent and the problem persisted

I will say something later tonight, tx guys

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
just read a review about your product.http://tweakers.net/productreview/112039/tp-link-av500-powerline-wifi-kit.html
 It is very stabile at least @ 50mbit/s.
where 1080p does like 22 mbit/s and 720p does 12mbit/s
http://superuser.com/questions/434532/what-data-transfer-rates-are-needed-or-streaming-hd-1080p-or-720p-video-or-stan

so i think that part is ok. Still u should test it to solve your problem an come to understand.

I still think its your router.
Yes they have made a USB connector for you, but conversion from USB to network via a chip is always overhead. plus its USB 2.0, not the fastest there is.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. — Denis Diderot

Offline Lemur

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
So i brought the WD Book near the Med600, connected directly and seemed fine, though it was a fast test, as i need subtitles to the movie and didn't have internet as it was end to end with the HDD, i thought i could connect as follow:

the end of the power line has 2 rj45 slots, so 1 is connected to Med600 and i set the WD Book on the 2nd slot thinking it was a way to connected them directly but not going through the power line... but then again he connects to the hard drive IP, so im guessing the signal goes to router and then all the way back? or am I wrong? Fact is it frozed for like 4seconds after 10minutes of movie...

If that way won't work, can i put a switch at this end and avoid that the stream goes till router and back? or even being in a switch will need to go to router still?

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 04:51:28 AM »
The most important element of a test is connecting directly between router, hard drive, and Mede8er. We want to remove the Powerline kit completely if we're trying to test to see if it is contributing to your problems.

Just to mention, it's also important to power everything down after reconnecting devices. We have to make sure the router is able to assign fresh IP addresses to each device.

I hope our suggestions help you to isolate the issue and determine where the bottleneck is.

Offline Lemur

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »
The problem is where i have the TV i can't put the router as its a cable router, and the signal cable is in another room, on the other hand the TV is huge to get to the place where router is. I guess I could buy a 20 meters rj45 cable to test, but the length of it doesn't make noise on signal as well?

Testing directly from med600 to network disk doesn't work? my only problem is i don't have internet for it, but for testing should be ok

to end, i was thinking on a wireless solution instead of power line, something like, a router connected to my cable router (that is wireless but doesn't have 5gbps):
- Router TP-Link Wireless AC1750 Archer C7 Dual-Band Gigabit

and on the other end 1 extender, simply because i need the rj45 to connect to med600:
-Access Point TP-Link AC1750 RE450 Extender

its a 200 euros solution, but hey if i was sure it worked..

Offline can5ona

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »
When i have med600 + mybook live 2tb (and 1000mbit router) i had "freeze problem" - now i change mybook on synology ds215j and problem still here.

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »
The problem is where i have the TV i can't put the router as its a cable router, and the signal cable is in another room, on the other hand the TV is huge to get to the place where router is. I guess I could buy a 20 meters rj45 cable to test, but the length of it doesn't make noise on signal as well?
No
Testing directly from med600 to network disk doesn't work? my only problem is i don't have internet for it, but for testing should be ok.
I believed the WD Book had an USB connector. But I assume it only has RJ45/UTP connector?
to end, i was thinking on a wireless solution instead of power line, something like, a router connected to my cable router (that is wireless but doesn't have 5gbps):
I HIGHLY doubt a wireless connection will be faster/more stable then a wired connection :S
- Router TP-Link Wireless AC1750 Archer C7 Dual-Band Gigabit

and on the other end 1 extender, simply because i need the rj45 to connect to med600:
-Access Point TP-Link AC1750 RE450 Extender

its a 200 euros solution, but hey if i was sure it worked..
[/quote]

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
So i brought the WD Book near the Med600, connected directly and seemed fine, though it was a fast test, as i need subtitles to the movie and didn't have internet as it was end to end with the HDD, i thought i could connect as follow:

the end of the power line has 2 rj45 slots, so 1 is connected to Med600 and i set the WD Book on the 2nd slot thinking it was a way to connected them directly but not going through the power line... but then again he connects to the hard drive IP, so im guessing the signal goes to router and then all the way back? or am I wrong? Fact is it frozed for like 4seconds after 10minutes of movie...

If that way won't work, can i put a switch at this end and avoid that the stream goes till router and back? or even being in a switch will need to go to router still?

Yes, that will work. i cannot promise the connection will be without any stutter this way, but it should work.

U have one more option, and its much cheaper i think.

having said that, u could also take out the WD MyBook HDD, and put it in an USB CASING instead. it is not expensive. maybe 10-15 dollars
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:44:21 PM by Nachoman »

Offline Lemur

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Ok I did a more intensive test, using a 28GB MKV "Avengers Age of Ultron 1080p", so the result with the normal setup its the movie since start lags every 5seconds, like im seeing a movie in 5 frames per second

When i connect directly the WD HDD to med6003x it goes ok, if i just turned it on, it lags a bit on the first 20s of the movie but then it goes smooth. So the problem is on the power line kit, though it states to give 500mbps.. the router might be the problem as well, but as I said before thats hard to solve

When I asked about the wireless setup, was to know if it way better then powerline, not if its better then physical rj45 cables. As no way I will have a 20meters cable across the house forever.

To use it as USB connected, what is that good for? I mean USB 2.0 does what 10mbs per second, is that even enough for mkv? I can try and put the mkv in a usb hard drive, but i bet it will lag a lot, won't it?

Offline Nachoman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
Ok I did a more intensive test, using a 28GB MKV "Avengers Age of Ultron 1080p", so the result with the normal setup its the movie since start lags every 5seconds, like im seeing a movie in 5 frames per second.

When i connect directly the WD HDD to med6003x it goes ok, if i just turned it on, it lags a bit on the first 20s of the movie but then it goes smooth. So the problem is on the power line kit, though it states to give 500mbps.. the router might be the problem as well, but as I said before thats hard to solve.

1. If direct connection to mede8er STILL gives a 20 second lag... then your HDD WD MyBook is very slow from itself. because that may not happen at all in my opinion.
When I asked about the wireless setup, was to know if it way better then powerline, not if its better then physical rj45 cables. As no way I will have a 20meters cable across the house forever.
well, u can try, but most of the time, a cable of ANY kind is better then wireless. So i think powerline is at least little bit better then wireless.

To use it as USB connected, what is that good for? I mean USB 2.0 does what 10mbs per second, is that even enough for mkv? I can try and put the mkv in a usb hard drive, but i bet it will lag a lot, won't it?

Typical fast drives claim to read at up to 30 megabytes/s (MB/s) and write at about half that speed. This is about 20 times faster than USB 1.1 "full speed" devices which are limited to a maximum speed of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s).
I think the USB connection will be much better. try that also. i am very interested in your results.

Offline Lemur

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
Yea, on usb port at med600 the movie runs flawless, not 1 lost frame... but it would be a pain to download movies then move them to usb drive (i could download directly to usb drive, but then i would need to stop torrents when moving the disk to my med600 and seeing the movie )

Offline Lemur

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »
So further testing I used a software to test Network speeds, not using powerline it gives me 27mb write and 40mb read. If I go to the end of powerline all i can get is 5mb write and 7mb write...