Author Topic: MED600X3D: "Logon fail" reported when using Samba share with Windows 7 server  (Read 38428 times)

Offline Sierra

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
According to WinShare app everything is ok (green).

What else?

I am using V4.0.2 if that matters, been using it for a year with no problems, until for last month when I upgraded from W7 to 10. Since then chances that I can log in are nearly zero (there is one day I can log, and for next few days I cannot)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:00:17 PM by Sierra »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
On win 10 do

Network and Sharing Center
Connectiins
Details

What is the ipv4 DNS server?

Offline Sierra

Primary dns is set to my ISP's DNS and secondary set to google one (8.8.8.8)

both are obtained automaticaly in TCP/IP settings

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
You need a local DNS proxy to quicken up DNS. If you let DHCP allocate DNS, do you get the router IP, or the ISP dns server?

Offline Sierra

Looks like I get ISP dns when it's set to auto. Basicaly what you see on above pic.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
We have users in the same situation before. You need a local DNS proxy hosted on the PC. The Opensubs fix will show you how

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,18233.0.html

Offline Sierra

Ok I installed Acrylic, but what to do next? There is a lot of info about that openbsubs fix thing, I am not sure what is important to me and what is not.

Anyway I still don't get it, how I could use Mede8r for 4 years without single problem, then now suddenly I have to do all that tricks? Why? Is Windows 10 that much different? It's still the same workgroup, same lan, same routers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:57:49 AM by Sierra »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
You need to edits it's config file and set the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS to those supplied by your ISP via DHCP. Then start Acrylic, and use the PC ip as the players DNS server in it's setup. 

Offline Sierra

Thanks, worked out.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
You can check it's working by making the host PC use it as well. Change IPv4 DNS to 127.0.0.1

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
To save you having to repeat everything again, I decided not to open a new topic and just reply to this one.

Most of the stuff you said here is gobbledygook to me as in I'm not an advanced enough user to understand your directions. My situation is similar to Sierra's with a slight difference.

I have 2 laptops on the home network. The first is Win 7 based and has been running with my MED600x ever since I purchased it. The 2nd is Win 10 based. I have setup its home network and the X3D appears in its local network. I can even transfer and edit files on drives attached to the player from this new PC. But I cannot login to the PC from the player.

The first hurdle I need to cross is what to use as the user name? Windows only supplies a password. I tried the computer name and that isn't accepted. Scouring the MED600x's manual gives no info on how to find the user name.

Some additional info:
-  In the bedroom we have a WDTV Live player with an HDD attached. The WDTV Live player appears on the MED600x's network and I can access all media from that via the Med8er.
-  Samba is switched on.
-  The home network in the Win 10 PC can see and access both laptops and the 2 players.
-  The WDTV Live player cannot access the MED600x although I have no idea why not.

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
Please, please, please can someone tell me how to determine what the user name is when trying to access the Homegroup?

Offline APMichael

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-1
As far as I know Homegroup works between Windows-PCs only. You can't use it with the X3D.

For the X3D you have to use the "classic" file sharing, which is more complicated to set up.
I found this article: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10.
Method 1 is the "classic" file sharing you need.

Or you can try to set up file sharing for the X3D by using NFS (Network File System). You can find the information in the manual of your X3D.
Mede8er MED600X3D (V4.0.2-6April2016-p2), Denon AVR-2310

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
Good article Michael, thanks for that.

So it would appear that a Homegroup only allows other users of the same PC to access shared content.
My issue is that I have created a wired network with my X3D and my previous Win 7 based laptop is accessed by the X3D without any hassle. The new Win 10 laptop won't allow access by the X3D, nor the Win 7 laptop.

I have now removed the requirement for a password so I will see this evening whether the X3D is granted access. Somehow I doubt it will be because the Win 7 laptop is no longer being asked for a password but it is being told it does not have access permission (which it does as Everyone has read and write permissions for all shared folders.

Offline Sierra

The problem has returned. Logon fail :( Windows 10, everything was fine for couple of years and now I got it again. I was using Acrylic DNS trick, now it's not working out of sudden.

Is there any other way to play movies that are stored on the other computer via network?

This is getting annoying... thinking to buy different device MED600X3D has no more firmware updates and support too prolly.