Author Topic: MED600X3D: "Logon fail" reported when using Samba share with Windows 7 server  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Med8User

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Hi,

I have a Med8er 600X3D media player (Firmware v4.0.0). I have successfully configured it to use a Samba network share on my Windows 7 Pro PC server, to which it is connected by Ethernet LAN.  I have selected it as a Favorite, and that works too initially.

However after some time the Med8er 600X3D unit fails to connect to the network share. When I press the button on the remote to select the favorite I get an error message saying "Logon fail". This problem usually happens about 1-2 times every week.

I think it usually happens more often if I've done some file managing activity on the network share. E.g. added or moved files in some directory on the share (the directory which I have shared is still present and valid on the server though). But I cannot 100% certain associate it with that.

Anyway, if I after the failure occurs 1) Shut down the Mede8er, 2) Restart the server PC, and finally 3) Start the Med8er again, then I can successfully connect to network share again. That is until the problem occurs the next time.

So I just wonder what could the reason for this problem? Is it a known problem? And is there any solution being worked on to fix this bug?

Best Regards,
Med8User
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:20:37 pm by Med8User »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +193/-54
The login fail / request is a catch all error message for any reason the connection cannot be made.  The player will not try to deduce why for you. Failed connections happen quite often with networked devices, and on a PC you do get a diagnostic tools offered to find out why. That isn't part of the SDK used to create the code on the player.

It looks like the share needs remounting after editing. You can do that with Linux without rebooting.....but windows dosntt make that so easy.  By rebooting the PC, you remount the edited share.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:09:20 am by jer1956 »

Offline Fmedrano1977

• Experienced Member
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »
Had this problem with the WDTV Live, HanesWIN NFS Server eliminated this problem for me. My Med600 operates with out issue as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offline Med8User

The login fail / request is a catch all error message for any reason the connection cannot be made.  The player will not try to deduce why for you. Failed connections happen quite often with networked devices, and on a PC you do get a diagnostic tools offered to find out why. That isn't part of the SDK used to create the code on the player.
Aha, I see. Well it would be useful for problem solving to get some more detailed error messages though. At least through a log file or something that the user can access if problems occur. So it would be nice if the mede8er development team could add that.
It looks like the share needs remounting after editing. You can do that with Linux without rebooting.....but windows dosntt make that so easy.  By rebooting the PC, you remount the edited share.
Note that the "Login fail" problem doesn't happen every time when I have changed anything on the file share (e.g. added, moved or deleted files). Only once in a while. Also, it can happen even if I've not changed anything on the network share. It's just that changing something on the network share makes the problem occur more frequently it seems.

In addition, I don't have the same problems when accessing the Windows network share from other devices. E.g. I have a Windows desktop PC that I access the same share from too, and do not experience any similar problems then.

So it seems like it's a problem with the mede8er after all?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:25:02 pm by Med8User »

Offline Med8User

Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 08:58:08 pm »
Had this problem with the WDTV Live, HanesWIN NFS Server eliminated this problem for me. My Med600 operates with out issue as well.

Ok, so it's a Mede8er problem (that occurs on WDTV Live too) that is specific to Samba network shares. And exposing the network drive as a NFS share instead solves the problem?

Sounds good, I'll try that then. But it still seems like a workaround. It would be nice if the Mede8er development team could fix this issue with Samba network shares.

Offline Fmedrano1977

• Experienced Member
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 02:48:23 am »
I don't know if it's an issue since my WDTVs came before the med, but I've never had a issue on the Med with the NFS shares.

Offline Med8User

Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:13:44 pm »
I don't know if it's an issue since my WDTVs came before the med, but I've never had a issue on the Med with the NFS shares.

Ok, I see. Well I can confirm that I have the problem described in the OP with MED600X3D and Windows network shares (i.e. Samba protocol).

I'll try exposing the Windows server drive as an NFS share instead and see if that helps. But I do think it's kind of a workaround. So I hope the Mede8er developers can try to fix the problem so the MED600X3D works correctly with Windows Samba shares too.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
As I said before... the player isn't a pc. It is not tolerant and doesn't try find out why connections fail. Try changing the dons server setting in the player to 8.8.8.8

Offline Med8User

As I said before... the player isn't a pc. It is not tolerant and doesn't try find out why connections fail. Try changing the dons server setting in the player to 8.8.8.8

It's not a PC, but it's an embedded computer system. Usually such systems contain error handling and logging code as well. Then it's another matter if the developers choose to expose such error indications to the user via the UI or not. It also differs whether they choose to report it as a general error, or a more specific one. I'd like to be able to get a more specific error report somehow, if not via the UI then at least e.g. via a log file (which for example could be viewable via the UI, or saved on an SD card on demand). Because that helps a lot when trying to find the cause of an error and solving the problem.

BTW: I've tried changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (i.e. Google's DNS server), but that did not help.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:35:35 pm by Med8User »

Offline Med8User

Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 07:52:20 pm »

Turns out HaneWIN NFS server only had a trial period of 30 days. After that's it's commercial SW so you have to pay. Just letting everyone know. Maybe there are other free NFS servers that solve the problem too though.

Anyway it would be nice if Samba network shares worked ok with Mede8er.

Offline Fmedrano1977

• Experienced Member
Re: Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Turns out HaneWIN NFS server only had a trial period of 30 days. After that's it's commercial SW so you have to pay. Just letting everyone know. Maybe there are other free NFS servers that solve the problem too though.

Anyway it would be nice if Samba network shares worked ok with Mede8er.
Did it solve your problems though?

Offline Sierra

A bit of necromancy, but I have the same problem, with the 600X3D.

Happens randomly every few days... very annoying, especialy since I migrated to PC with Windows 10 (which I am using for storage of my videos).

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
A bit of necromancy, but I have the same problem, with the 600X3D.

Happens randomly every few days... very annoying, especialy since I migrated to PC with Windows 10 (which I am using for storage of my videos).

The login in request comes from a "catch all" error handler for any failed connection. Most are down to lan DNS, not resolving local Host Names.  What is your DNS server in Setup? 127.0.0.1?

Offline Sierra

Yes, it is 127.0.0.1

Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 but it didn't change anything to me. Still Login failed.

I am accessing my Windows 10 computer via LAN, and MED600X3D is also connected to the same LAN. It's very simple network. The Player can see my workgroup, with correct names and all, but at the moment I want to access a shared folder, it flips out.

Anyway now I cannot connect to my PC most of time, I must transfer videos on pendrive and external drives to it, which is extra job I don't like to do.

What can I do to try to fix it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:02:50 am by Sierra »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict