Author Topic: X.265/HEVC  (Read 10878 times)

Offline Thetaz

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
X.265/HEVC
« on: May 14, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »
Hi everone, just bought a med400x2s v3 and getting to know the box.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible yet to play X.265/HEVC foemat.
Many thanks in advance.   :)

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »
No not possible. Use the search option of the forum and you will find more simular questions with more detailed answers.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Sunfish

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
Re: X.265/HEVC
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:54:20 am »
HEVC hardware support requires a new processor and I believe media players with HEVC support are still quite scarce. I also believe that the codec still needs some development before it delivers the same visual quality as x264. x264 encoders have been optimized for many years now so I believe you are better off focusing on that codec for at least a few more years unless download and storage are limiting you so much that the smaller HEVC files would warrant a degraded picture quality.

Even the MPEG2 codec still got some optimizations in recent years that raised the optical quality considerably. Notably the relatively new CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) SP3 has brought some real progress in image processing and encoding that allows for a more detailed picture at lower bitrates. I'm sure x264 is going through the same process and in that HEVC is still many years behind. Codecs need a lot of time to mature.

Offline Bytec

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:04 am »
HEVC hardware support requires a new processor and I believe media players with HEVC support are still quite scarce. I also believe that the codec still needs some development before it delivers the same visual quality as x264. x264 encoders have been optimized for many years now so I believe you are better off focusing on that codec for at least a few more years unless download and storage are limiting you so much that the smaller HEVC files would warrant a degraded picture quality.

Even the MPEG2 codec still got some optimizations in recent years that raised the optical quality considerably. Notably the relatively new CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) SP3 has brought some real progress in image processing and encoding that allows for a more detailed picture at lower bitrates. I'm sure x264 is going through the same process and in that HEVC is still many years behind. Codecs need a lot of time to mature.

Not quit true.

The magic of visual quality improvement happens in Encoder part.
Decoder almost always is the same as before.

Media players only need decoder part of CoDec.
MED1000X3D -> DENON AVR 1611B -> SAMSUNG Plasma TV PS64F8500

Offline Thetaz

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »
Thanks guys.

Offline Sunfish

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 12:49:24 am »
Not quit true.

The magic of visual quality improvement happens in Encoder part.
Decoder almost always is the same as before.

Media players only need decoder part of CoDec.

Well I was talking about encoders wasn't I?

Offline itwriter

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:46:48 pm »
Firmware upgrades for the 500x2 seem to have ground to a halt. The last one was almost a year ago - 26 April 2015. Adding the mkv x265 codec to a new firmware version would have been a nice way to ensure that the 500x2 still had some life in it. This is depressing. I'm not buying a Mede8er again.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +192/-53
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:29:32 pm »
This kind of chip  has a poor cpu, and a powerful codec chip.....with a fixed set of codecs. You need ARM based players to use software codecs.

Offline ballie2020

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 06:00:17 am »
Firmware upgrades for the 500x2 seem to have ground to a halt. The last one was almost a year ago - 26 April 2015. Adding the mkv x265 codec to a new firmware version would have been a nice way to ensure that the 500x2 still had some life in it. This is depressing. I'm not buying a Mede8er again.

I quite agree - cannot invest in hardware again thats not updateable with something a simple as a new codec - all new downloads seem to arrive in "unusable mkv" format and I have to reencode all the time. - what a waste of time. We consumers are not interested in excuses and reasons, the gadget designer has to think about future proofing their offerings.

Offline milnet

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 02:49:28 pm »
I quite agree - cannot invest in hardware again thats not updateable with something a simple as a new codec - all new downloads seem to arrive in "unusable mkv" format and I have to reencode all the time. - what a waste of time. We consumers are not interested in excuses and reasons, the gadget designer has to think about future proofing their offerings.

100% agree there.  Mede8er have thought of customisations but just not where it matters.