Author Topic: "Emergency" vs "normal" flash update and Mac support  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Gloucester

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
"Emergency" vs "normal" flash update and Mac support
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
Have just received my new MED1000X3D and quite excited about setting it up! However, I am a bit confused with the whole "emergency" flashing procedure. Why make it so complicated? Also, are there any instructions for Mac computers? The manual only covers workarounds for various versions of Windows...  ::)

Offline m3dmer3er3r_4

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +10/-9
Re: "Emergency" vs "normal" flash update and Mac support
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Emergency recovery is a safe way to make update correctly.

USB firmware update is general way update device.
Many manufacturers use the same method.

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=46.0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:34:41 PM by m3dmer3er3r_4 »

Offline K.B.Nikto

• Helpful Contribution Status: +19/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
There are a number of Mac users on the board so perhaps others will chime in with suggestions and observations too. But I've found there to be no significant differences between Windows and Mac use with MedX3d. For example, the Med is very happy reading media files from HFS+ formatted drives (internal and external, both), which I think is a nice feature.

The one requirement I can think of that is Windows-centric is the need for a FAT32-formatted USB drive when performing the emergency install procedure. Helpfully, the Mac OS provides that as an option when formatting in Disk Utility. It's called MS-DOS (FAT), but is FAT32. You can then write the needed files to that drive through Mac and proceed as instructed.

I would suggest that since Med does read HFS+ just fine, Mac users should use that format for media storage if you're going to write to the drives from Mac. Any of the Windows formats are very slow in transfer to/from Mac so it's tedious to take that much time if it's unnecessary.

Offline Gloucester

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:18:27 AM »
Thanks both. I am mostly transferring my existing collection via USB hard drives, and using SMB share to edit file names from my Macbook, so the formats have not presented a problem yet.

Nice piece of kit otherwise!