Author Topic: Please I need assistance with my 500x2 model.  (Read 21283 times)

Offline SciFi

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Please I need assistance with my 500x2 model.
« on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:56 AM »

[ I sent this via private email to technical@mede8er.com and to mediaconcept@comcast.net almost a week ago, mediaconcept told me to post it to the forum, so here it is ]

Hello,

I'll use "section numbers" for my plea for help.

0)  Introduction.

I have a 500x2 model, about two years old or so, and have been enjoying it.  (Serial # 52230611001215.)

I bought it from the distributor "Media Concept" located in U.S. city of Livermore, California, zip 94551.  Date of sale is Oct. 04 2012.  (Yes fortunately I still have the actual paperwork.  Transaction ID: 0LT99653NE1578423.)

Twice I've installed the latest v3.0.5 update dated Oct. 22 2014 01:05:13 hoping maybe these problems are a fluke of the update process, but now I really believe we're experiencing bugs in the code itself.

1)  This latest update has always been giving me no way to enter my location on the Weather app under the Internet Media section.  I remember earlier versions _did_ let me specify where I live etc here.
All I can presently do here is try to select a nearest location, which in my case is about a 4-hour drive away into the next State, and we will not get anywhere near the correct weather info for our location.

2)  I seem to be getting more forced reboots from a newish Seagate 2TB drive I've installed into it, and from accessing my network drives via NFS and wired cabling (not wireless) to my iMac running the server (yes I do have NFS Manager v3.9 app from Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme and have a paid legal license for it) -- here I must let my iMac (running OSX-10.6.8 by necessity) format the drives using GPT and HFSX (which means HFS+ with upper/lower-case support, the way I've been formatting many,many such external drives for my extensive collection of OTA recordings using several HDHomeRun units with EyeTV app from Elgato.com).
The forced reboots seem to come after viewing several JPEG images, then going back to the directory listing can cause a forced reboot.  It can happen at other times, too.  Either while the images are on the internal disk, or via the NFS access.

3)  I'm also afraid that this model has 'disappeared' from your product listings (at the main Mede8er website) -- please say I can still get support for it, this sudden drop of not being listed anymore seems to be a popular punishment for my being involved with good technology.  (I can write more about this, such as why my iMac has been discontinued by Appleฎ, and I cannot afford a 'real' computer [I know I need a fully open-source system] since I am still on disability with no end in sight, I believe I can only request a Grant in order to afford the machinery I really need, and this was part of my main paid job [computers in an IBM mainframe govmt agency with state-wide private wired network] for nearly 40-years before I became disabled [this in particular is a long detailed story, if you need to know then tell me as I can write more later]).

90)  Generally, if I must use an earlier version, then I will lose the other updates in other areas.

98)  Please help.

99)  Thank you for taking time & effort.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
Re: Please I need assistance with my 500x2 model.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
Do you have slide show enabled, or are you browsing a folder manually?

What size are the photos?

Support can mean many things. They can't make players if realtek stop making the chips. So good or bad, players have to end production. It also means realtek stop debugging the SDK.  So the player is then stuck with any outstanding SDK issues, even if Sanji transfers higher level features from the x3d.

I'm just testing an NFS hosted slidshw with music on a 450x2....no reboots so far.

Realtek don't make the SDK fault tolerant.  So any underlying issue results in hangs or reboots. The only solution is to get a clear description of what the user was doing.....and make the users setup less likely to create the issue that caused the crash. With networking it usually means users have slow DNS resolving of lan host names.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:18:45 AM by jer1956 »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
I had to do something else. When I got back the slidshe had finished. When I pressed stop to exit the last image...the player rebooted.

Offline SciFi

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:03 AM »

Thank you for responding.

I understand how "new chips" become all the rage.
And that means older models must be left behind.
Including my 500x2.

I can't afford any of the newer models,
I spent my savings on this 500x2.
(I'm on disability, remember.)

I was wanting to have it working "properly"
meaning "without the bugs".
At least longer than I've had it (ca. 2 years is all).

But --
No one told me I'd be buying a model that would be relegated to the scrap-yard this soon.

And I believe it's always had certain bugs, always, since I got it from Media-Concepts.

… … …

To answer part of the questions you've raised:

We acquire collections of pictures from Usenet, mainly.
They are not 'naughty'.
They are pictures of 'life' around the world
where I'm unable to travel
anymore.

The pics come in all sizes.

But sometimes there seems a pattern
and/or a repeatable sequence
where I view one pic
then go to the next pic (right-arrow slide show)
which will then cause a reboot.
Or we go back to the listing that causes a reboot.
I can usually repeat that sequence with the same pic(s).

I am accustomed to setting up a way to debug such problems
on a 'normal' computer
but not on this 500x2.
That's what 'rubs' me the wrong way about these machines (not just this company alone).
;)
I wish I could debug this problem and send a report in,
I used to do this as part of my paid job, honest,
and I had to send in such reports to technical people at the vendor (usually IBM).

… … …

I'd still like to get the Weather app fixed,
an earlier update _did_ work,
i.e. to let us input our location
to get more-accurate information.

But I think if I install that earlier update,
then we'll lose other updates in the later releases.

"all or nothing" -- I don't like these kinds of updates
but it's the only way to do it here.

… … …

I'll stop here
and hope for real answers.

Thank you very much.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »
Its often a case of buyer beware. The big companies bring out new versions every year. If you  don't know when,  say, Panasonic , do that,  you could buy a model  just before it gets replaced. It isn't realistic to  expect shops to warn  you...and be left with unsold stock.

Realtek  don't make chips at different price ranges.  So  what  you get is Realtek replacing the previous chip with a new one, and player makers using up chip stock until its gone.  So once the x3d appeared, it was only a matter of time before the 1185 chips in the x2 where used up. Realtek  would have given up  fixing the SDK long before that....

The big problem for realtek is the next generation of chips isn't just competing with sigma. There are halve a dozen chip makers using ARM designs, and dumping production at rediculous prices. None of them  are making enough money to  fix the SDK, or even  develop one.  They are just dumping android/kodi on them, on a take it or leave it basis.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:06:24 PM by jer1956 »

Offline SciFi

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »

Still doesn't say about the bugs IN YOUR OWN CODE (company's) despite the vendor's (chipmaker and/or SDK etc).

For example, I still think the Weather app is lacking some code THAT USED TO BE THERE that lets us select the town we are ACTUALLY LIVING IN rather than a town 4-hours away.

Bugs like that ought to be a continuing process to try repairing, regardless what the vendor is forcing down our throats.

(my main paid job forced me to confront these types of issues many times, and it's sad to realize this treatment still continues)

and sorry for being a horse's patootie on this
but I do need to bring it up.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »
That weather app is getting that info from a website - it might have been removed there?
What is the location where you are looking for?
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline osvanberg

• Experienced Member
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
I've had the 400 x2 for a couple of years now. I've reported the issue during this whole time to the development that my unit also reboots alot when interacting with picture slideshows. Often when pausing a pic, or existing the slideshow, or sometimes when pressing next. Also alot of reboots when selecting music to add to sideshow. (the movie part otherwise and the normal music play function works however flawless for me) . I've never gotten any serious respons from the delevlopers regarding this. Just that "it's not their fault and that they can not reproduce the issue". So I've hoped ang hoped that it would get better with all the FW updates, but it never has. And now no more FW is coming, so I just need to give up.
-MED400X2
-Network cable to Win7 x64 PC
-Samba share, Workgroup AND/OR My shortcuts add IP number
-ON/enabled = Boot to Favorites, Slideshow, Auto view
-OFF/disabled = Jukebox, Watch indicator, Resume last played, NAS, BD menu & DLNA
-Router, ASUS RT N56U
-FW latest installed w emergency procedure
-Router & X2 power-cycled after FW upgrade
-Optical audio out + HDMI video out

Offline SciFi

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 02:56:07 AM »
That weather app is getting that info from a website - it might have been removed there?
What is the location where you are looking for?

Hello,

Pardon this late reply, I've been mainly bothered by some construction workers for the living unit next door here, I have a type of PTSD that makes me become irate to the max, it induces some medical ailments within me, and it's still sadly going on.  Yes I'm trying to get the management and the local government reps involved, it's been that bad.

To the point of this thread:

I did get the notification that an update has been released, and I'll try it ASAP.

To answer:  There seems to be a loss of any/all towns in Oklahoma, while we can select towns in Texas or Kansas (hence the 4-hour travel time estimate I use).  We've just had a 20th anniversary of the Murrah building bombing (see links below), it's a very important occurrence, so I think the loss of weather info for this state should be restored in any way possible.  If I knew how to access the website directly (please let me know here or via email), then I could pursue a personal investigation myself, and report my findings back to you/staff.  (FWIW:  I am a paid member to use the Wunderground.com site with its base of personal weather stations located almost everywhere on top of the professional sources.  They have suitable API routines also.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Murrah_Federal_Building

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

Thank you again.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:01:37 AM »
Can you give the new recent posted firmware version a try?
http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,16237.0.html

Changelog V3.0.5 - 26April2015
1. Fixed the Weather App - City selection images still showing once selected
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline SciFi

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 05:09:13 AM »

Hello,

I see the Weather app has been cleaned-up.  Thank you-all for that.

But I still see no selections from Oklahoma -- just Texas and Kansas as before (and various other states as well).

I also cannot get the "Enter Zip" input area to show up -- I now remember this ought to be a last-ditch effort to get the correct weather info for our area, but I haven't seen it (working or not) in the last few updates; nor can I find any info on this in the manual (sent with the unit and peeked in the PDF files at this site), so I don't know what buttons to push to call it up to let us input our Zipcode (yes I do have a USB keyboard attached).  I now do remember earlier updates did let us do that; then I could save it as a Favorite.  ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Then I guess I will need to learn to live with the other unfixed glitches until/unless I become filthy-rich to afford the new models.  ;)

Offline SciFi

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

It is now 2-months later, and I have not received any communication on this.

This model 500x2 is still not on the store front either.

Please don't forget us 500x2 users!