Author Topic: Directory naming  (Read 2894 times)

Offline d2florin

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
Directory naming
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:28:12 am »
Hello dear members,

I have movies on different souces: internal HDD, external HDD and on PC
  I want to make a video wall . My question is :

Can I have ex: director: Movies on different sources or I should named it : movies1, movies2 etc..
  Also  if I have movies HD on different souces I should call it MoviesHD1, Movies HD2 etc?

movies
         --movies HD
         --concerts

OR

movies1
         --movies HD1
         --concerts.
 etc..
What is the best naming structure when I have different location , but I want to keep the same naming folder.

Many thanks in advance

Offline d2florin

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
Re: Directory naming
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:23:10 am »
Hello,

Could you pls someone to answer this question .

many thanks

Offline Mr Eric

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: Directory naming
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:54 pm »
there's no "best structure" if you have your files spread on different locations. All you need is to have one main folder with movies inside, each movie inside its own folder named as per the movie name. that's all.

you main folders could be called "HD Movie" everywhere, that won't change anything and you will still be able to scan it.

What makes a difference is the way you organized it. In fact you are using a sub-folder classification, which is going to complicate a bit your life as you will have to point to each subfolder for a scan. If you just have a few that could be easy, but if you have a lot that's going to take you some time to set up...

Best thing would be to have :

Movies
     ----- movie 1
    ------ movie 2
and so on.

The main goal of an indexer like yadis is to facilitate your life so you don't have to care at all to maintain any classification in your files, the front end is here to build it for you. Your files can be completely mixed, it will be nicely displayed on your media player in the way you want.

Of course I understand that you might want to keep your folders organized in your way because when using windows explorer it's cleaner. but then you have to know that the set up process is going to be longer (obviously) than if you only had one folder to point to.
Yadis beta team member