Author Topic: Windows Server NFS - Success!!!  (Read 13879 times)

Offline DramaFoYoMama

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Windows Server NFS - Success!!!
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:32 am »
I spent a lot of time trying to search for a solution to getting NFS to work with the built-in NFS server in Windows Server. Seems nobody had any good solutions (install AD and use Unix mapping, use Windows 7 and HaneWin, etc), so I spent some time trying to get it working. I'm using Server 2012 R2 Standard, but I would suspect what I did should work for everyone. I haven't narrowed down what exactly got it working, but I figured I'd save someone else the frustration (most people don't share solutions...).

I'll turn this into a guide if someone would like, but the basic steps are to install Server for NFS as a role, go to Administrative Tools and open the Services for Network File System (NFS) applet. Follow screens 1-4, then follow screens 5 & 6 for the share you set up.

Someone want to try this out and post your results?

Maybe this can get stickied if it's useful. :)

Offline DramaFoYoMama

Re: Windows Server NFS - Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:13:15 am »
Here's screen 6 (5 limit attachment limit per post).

Offline DramaFoYoMama

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:15:25 am »
BTW, reboot the server after making the changes to be on the safe side (restarting the NFS service wasn't enough for me).

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:48:26 am »
Thanks for sharing this. I made it sticky, so it is now on top in this section.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline DramaFoYoMama

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:43:01 pm »
Thanks for sharing this. I made it sticky, so it is now on top in this section.

My pleasure! Thanks for making it a sticky! :)

I confirmed last night that the critical change is in screenshot #1, where you need to turn off NFS version 3 support. Not sure what breaks with this on.

I tested out a couple movies with NFS last night, and I got poor results. While the movies didn't stutter, like what I was getting with SAMBA, they would stop in the exact same place every time after glitching for a second or so. These are my own Blu-Ray rips to MKV (I don't bootleg anything), and they play fine in XBMC. I tried an MVK of a DVD, and it played much longer than a Blu-Ray MKV, so maybe it has something to do with the file size or bitrate. I need to do more investigation. BTW, if I set the NFS options to use TCP, I got stuttering, but not if I used UDP. I would have thought it was the other way around. I still had this issue with using UDP and a 32k window size. 

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +192/-53
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:16:53 am »
It is probably a segmented movie. The avchd 2.0 code in the player is not designed to deal with segments. What ripping software did you use? It may not have made a good job of merging the segments.

Offline felixdeluxe

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:02:34 am »
Thanks so much for sharing! This is extremely helpful! I have already been so desperate that I installed OpenMediaVault in a Hyper-V environment on my server because I couldn't get it to work out of the box...  :D

Offline glpush

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:30:09 pm »
Hi, I've just upgraded to 2012 but can't get nfs working, the folder will show on the mede8er but nothing inside it. Does anyone have the 6 pictures that were on this thread please? Or any tips!?

Thanks,
Jake

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 07:59:18 am »
Hi, I've just upgraded to 2012 but can't get nfs working, the folder will show on the mede8er but nothing inside it. Does anyone have the 6 pictures that were on this thread please? Or any tips!?

Thanks,
Jake

I see the attached pictures on the first post of this thread.
Be sure you are logged in on the forum to see them....
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline glpush

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:19 pm »
Thanks Maasbommel, that was the issue with the images. I now have NFS working with Server 2012 by using NFSv2 (The folders would show as empty on v3), but I have some more problems though.

NFS v2 is definitely slower in bandwidth tests (I can live with that), but I am now also having problems with certain MKV files. If they are too large, it will not let me fast forward more than x2, and won't let me seek or skip the file in any way. This means that if I have to turn off the mede8er mid play I cannot get back to where I was without watching the whole file again. I have tested these files and they don't have any issues with SMB or on NFSv3. I have also tried to repair them but no change.

Does anyone have any more tips on how to get NFSv3 working with the mede8er and Windows Server 2012? I am not sure what has changed between the versions but I have fiddled with all sorts with no luck. I might have to go back to Windows Server 2008 at this rate but really don't want to.

Thanks!

Offline RudiW66

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:25:27 pm »
Same issue here with NFS on Windows Server 2012R2. Can't go fast forward more than 2x and skip is not working.

I installed HaneWin NFS for a test on the same server where everything was working as expected. So network seems to be ok. But I would much more prefer using the Windows NFS. If NFS V3 would solve the issue it would be great. Any help welcome, thx.

Offline walburg

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »
Hello all,
does anybody knows how come with hanewin something change my IP and I have to add everytime the Movie folder to favorites.
I use a fix IP on the med600.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:33:04 pm »
Hello all,
does anybody knows how come with hanewin something change my IP and I have to add everytime the Movie folder to favorites.
I use a fix IP on the med600.

Hanewin is running on the pc. Have you fixed its IP?

Offline glpush

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:09 am »
Shameless bump. Has anyone had any luck with this yet? I now have a 3D TV, and I have no chance getting 3D ISOs to steam over homeplugs using either Samba or NFS v2, but I know it works with NFS v3. At this point it looks like I'm really going to have to downgrade to Server 2008 from 2012, such a shame! Is this something that can be fixed in a firmware release?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 01:49:57 pm »
how do you know that it would a soluition for med?  Any test you do using something else could be influenced by its abilities rather than nfs 3. You cant prove what a 1186 chip will  do by streaming between a windows laptop and server 2012.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:58:35 pm by jer1956 »