Author Topic: SATA 5TB / 6 TB compatibility with X3D Series  (Read 111561 times)

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
SATA 5TB / 6 TB compatibility with X3D Series
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
We have tested the following WD Hard drives in the MED800X3D / MED1000X3D and they are approved and 100% compatible provided they are formatted twice in the X3D via the X3D Format Option in the Setup menu.

WD50EZRX = 5TB
WD60EZRX = 6TB   

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline wrestlemagic

• Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
Re: SATA 5TB / 6 TB compatibility with X3D Series
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
I'm very interested to know if anybody has tried either of these HDD's over  a long period. How well did you find these work?
Are there any over-heating issues? Any other  problems found?

This kind of space is exactly what I'm looking for. 8)

Best wishes
wrestlemagic

Offline inikad

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. :)

I guess that WD60EFRX and WD50EFRX (WD RED) should be compatible also. Someone could confirm this?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
Once you need that  amount of storage your getting into NAS territory.   A proper NAS would allow you to  both share whats stored, and keep it secure using failure management techniques.  

Such  drives used singularley are far too a risk.  No one is ever going to back one up....only active failure management in a NAS is practicable.

You don't want  to put 20 years worth of photos on it...and then  ask  where they  went when the drive crashed.  Drives fail...its  a fact of life.

That is true even of a 1 TB, but at least with those backing up is more practicable.  

The Med is a box full of media tools....like any tool box not every user needs all of them, and some tools are down right dangerous  in the wrong hands.  So if you have  a 100GB NAS set up  for local Cloud Storage, using Failure Management, by all means fit a 6 gb in the player and let the Cloud Storage keep  a backup in sync.   If not......6 GB of precious media is a lot to lose, and to  recover.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:42:10 AM by jer1956 »

Offline kikkoman

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
Just curious but does this mean the 5TB's do not work for the 600X3D?  I am purchase a 5TB drive but not sure if that is too big of a drive and to just buy 3TB or 4TB drives and backup, etc.

Also, since the 600X3D has 2 usb 3.0 ports, can you plug in a usb adapter that has more usb attached to it and have the device pick up all the usb drives attached to it?

Thanks,

Offline mike_carton

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +13/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
1. Why the need for formatting in Mede8er? I'm using a 4 TB factory-formatted drive; seems OK

2. Why format it twice?

Offline Mafalda

• B8a Tester - X2
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +12/-1
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »

Hi mike_carton!

1. Why the need for formatting in Mede8er? I'm using a 4 TB factory-formatted drive; seems OK
To be sure that the hard disk has these characteristics:
   -  GPT table style;
   -  NTFS partition;
   -  512 bytes per sector.

2. Why format it twice?
If the hard drive is not as described above, it takes two formatting steps to create or convert the partitions table and create a single NTFS partition.

Mafalda

Offline wrestlemagic

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
Once you need that  amount of storage your getting into NAS territory.   A proper NAS would allow you to  both share whats stored, and keep it secure using failure management techniques.  

Such  drives used singularley are far too a risk.  No one is ever going to back one up....only active failure management in a NAS is practicable.

You don't want  to put 20 years worth of photos on it...and then  ask  where they  went when the drive crashed.  Drives fail...its  a fact of life.

That is true even of a 1 TB, but at least with those backing up is more practicable.  

The Med is a box full of media tools....like any tool box not every user needs all of them, and some tools are down right dangerous  in the wrong hands.  So if you have  a 100GB NAS set up  for local Cloud Storage, using Failure Management, by all means fit a 6 gb in the player and let the Cloud Storage keep  a backup in sync.   If not......6 GB of precious media is a lot to lose, and to  recover.  

Could you link me to or give me some advice on a good NAS that's compatible with a med10003xd please. Much appreciated.

Best wishes
wrestlemagic

Offline TonP

• Helpful Contribution Status: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
There are several brands that manufacture NAS-es.
I myself have two Synologies, a DS213 and a DS214, both with double HDD's in a RAID configuration.
RAID gives you a setup where you can have a complete failure of one of the HDD's in a NAS without loosing any data.
And yes, I had a complete disk crash once and had to replace the disk, but didn't loose any data.
Have a look at https://www.synology.com/en-global/

Ton

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
Synology  is one of the best NAS brands for consumers . Can also advise to go for Synology.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »
If you don't need on the fly replacement of the lost drive, Raid 5 is more efficient. You need 3 drives, only one of which is used for hosting "rebuild" data. If either of the others fail,  you can  rebuild it from that  drive. If it fails,  you just recreate the rebuild data on a new 3rd drive.   

Offline mike_carton

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +13/-1
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:16 AM »
Thanks, Mafalda. My factory-formatted drive seems to have same characteristics and is working ok, except every time I attach it to PC, it offers to scan it; actually scanning it finds nothing wrong and doesn't mess up the drive contents. But it always offers to scan it even if I always use the USB Ejector software.

Mysteries.

Offline wrestlemagic

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will look into this.
One more question. Can I connect a NAS directly to the Mede8er or does it have to via a network.

Best wishes
wrestlemagic

Offline tkoucinauci

• Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
Re:
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:19 AM »
Buy a gigabit switch (if you dont have gigabit router) with min. 8 port and connect all your devices to it (pc, nas, mede8er, tv...) First count your devices in home :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline Cinoche

• X3D Skin Designer
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-10
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »

Also, since the 600X3D has 2 usb 3.0 ports, can you plug in a usb adapter that has more usb attached to it and have the device pick up all the usb drives attached to it?

Good question! I don't now why nobody has provided an answer?
There is probably a reason why it cannot be done but I can't think what that may be. :(