Author Topic: Monsters University .ISO not working (works fine when mounted on PC)  (Read 7709 times)

Offline m0724

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
I'm running a 1000X3D on  v1.05.  I have had 100% success rate using AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 to create .iso images of my DVD collection.  That is, until Monsters University.  The .iso image mounts fine on several PC's in the house, and the menu navigation and movie playback is all perfectly fine.  On the Mede8er, however, the file will not play.  It starts to load and bails back out to the jukebox/info screen.  A symptom that is revealing is the length of the movie is displaying as "1m" (one minute) on the Mede8er, so clearly the system is not reading the file properly.  This is DVD movie #275 on my player and the first to ever have any kind of issue, all created with AnyDVD and CloneDVD, stored on the mede8er as .ISO images.

Other than the obvious tech support push off of "please upgrade to latest firmware", any ideas?  Ever seen this type of behavior and symptom before?  Not that I don't respect the notion of an upgrade, as it is an endeavor I mean to do, but in good time... as I am a) busy, and b) not experiencing any (other!) technical issue under 1.05 at the moment.  I'd love to learn why of couple of hundred plus .ISO images, the Mede8er can't handle this one (while multiple PC's can, without issue).

Thoughts?

Offline KoolKiwi

Re: Monsters University .ISO not working (works fine when mounted on PC)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:58:30 AM »
If it's any help, I'm a newbie also with a just purchased MED600X3D v3.0.1.  Monsters University 3D was one of the 3D titles I was testing.  I found that although the original archived ISO would play successfully on Windows PowerDVD 13, when playing directly on the MED600X3D, the audio would occasionally drop-out and an occasional pause would occur.

So I can confirm that it does play with the latest v3.0.1 firmware, albeit with occasional drop-outs.

To get perfect playback on the Mede8er, I had to use MakeMKV to create a reduced sized feature only mkv file.  But this of course doesn't play nicely on PowerDVD.  I had hoped for a single archive in a format that would play on more than one of my media player options (ideally the an ISO archive), but it looks like that holy grail hasn't arrived yet!

I also tried the latest TSmuxer verison that can now directly remux an reduced size 3D feature only ISO.  This works, but also has some audio dropout issues, which I believe are still bugs (or work in progress) with the new TSmuxer.

So for now... it appears to be MakeMKV for 3D archiving.

Offline Mike42

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
I'm running a 1000X3D on  v1.05.  I have had 100% success rate using AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 to create .iso images of my DVD collection.  That is, until Monsters University.  The .iso image mounts fine on several PC's in the house, and the menu navigation and movie playback is all perfectly fine.  On the Mede8er, however, the file will not play.  It starts to load and bails back out to the jukebox/info screen.  A symptom that is revealing is the length of the movie is displaying as "1m" (one minute) on the Mede8er, so clearly the system is not reading the file properly.  This is DVD movie #275 on my player and the first to ever have any kind of issue, all created with AnyDVD and CloneDVD, stored on the mede8er as .ISO images.

Other than the obvious tech support push off of "please upgrade to latest firmware", any ideas?  Ever seen this type of behavior and symptom before?  Not that I don't respect the notion of an upgrade, as it is an endeavor I mean to do, but in good time... as I am a) busy, and b) not experiencing any (other!) technical issue under 1.05 at the moment.  I'd love to learn why of couple of hundred plus .ISO images, the Mede8er can't handle this one (while multiple PC's can, without issue).

Thoughts?

ISO is an container (like mkv, zip, rar or AVI files). and as the word is saying it can contain any video codec.
it's possible that your iso contains an non supported format. to see this you should unpack the iso file (iso buster)
then report back what video format it is and we can give you some advise

mike42
Mede8er : MED1000X3D
Network: Wired CAT5
NAS: WDMyCloud 4TB, streaming true NFS
Tv: Samsung LE32B650T2WXXN, LCD, HD TV
AV receiver: Onkyo TX-NR414
additional equipment:
- Switch sitecom N118 (MED, Onkyo receiver,PS3)
- Samsung galaxy Tab-3 10.1", android 4.2, max resultion 1280x800

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »
One aspect of BD lite is expects only one type of movie in any iso.  So, for  example, if the first movie is a 60hz 2d advert, it can be a pain trying to  get the actual 3d 24hz movie to play  at all. So  your problems could be down to  what the first media file is.

There will be no improvement as long media player remain using BD chips and the code they  are allowed to install by bd.org. The problem is they  are incredibly good value for money as the chips are made in the thousands for BD players.  Any alternative platform immediately gets an "economy of scale" hit out of proportion to  the improvement in capability.    

If you pay for powerdvd you buy a licence for full BD playback on the assumption your playing real disks in a BD-rom drive. You can  then install AnyDVD HD, and clone DVD to mount and play rips. A PC can give you  the flexibility to break copyright if you so  wish.  Without that you wouldn't have rips for the X3d anyway.   That approach  can't be followed by a legitimate BD chip provider like Realtek.  They can't install the full bd stack  and then add code to circumvent cinavia to play  rips properly.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:01:09 PM by jer1956 »

Offline MiHa0815

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
i have also some Problems with a BD 3D Monster Uni ISO
i can play the ISO (mounted in Alcohol) on my PC without errors but on med1000x3d i have reproducable errors one a minute or so.
it seems to be a little jump in the movie. About a half second or so where i miss a little bit from a scene.
as i have the mede8er not so long i can not say if there are other movies with the same problem but i hope you had heart from this kind of problem and an idea to fix it.

i have also testet a local USB drive instead of NAS and i have also tested a BDMV directory instead of an ISO.
nothing worked on mede8er.

Mede8er MED1000X3D f/w v3.0.7 newest
Optical output > Yamaha RXV630RDS A/V Receiver
Audio setting: SPDIF Passthrough / Night mode OFF
Video: HDMI output > Toshiba 47M7463
Video setting: HDMI Passthrough
Media Source: Wired Network > Synology DS2411+

Offline MiHa0815

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
i have made some additional tests and here are the results.
monster uni 3d have many little m2ts files and whenever a switch from one to the next m2ts file appears, i had this lost seconds. it is reproducable and i hope there is a way to fix this. 

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Read the tip on remuxing using MakeMkv (and tsmuxer if you need 3d sub's).

Offline MiHa0815

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
it is a 3D Blu-Ray ISO and not a MKV
the iso has 48GB and the unpacked size is double. to make it to a 2D and 3D MKV is not the prefered solution.
I like the ISO's because i can choose if i want to see it in 2D or 3D

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
The iso has segments which only a true bluray player has code to deal with. There are lots of posts on this. The only solution is to splice the segments which remuxing will do.

MVC relies on crosslinking directories. That means directory sizes are wrong as the stiffs folder appears to host the stream folder, which it doesnt, its only crosslinked to it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:30:19 PM by jer1956 »

Offline MiHa0815

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
i think, a little bit more pre-read buffer could be help too and works without remuxing or anything else.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
That isn't going to  happen  as the code is deliberately supplied like this  to upset iso clone rippers.  The AVCHD 2.0 code is used as  is, under the licence approved by bd.org. Its purpose is to support the playback of AVCHD camcorders,  the only other legitimate source of iso according  to  bd.org.

The problem  does not occur with the cinavia licenced code for BD players, but that code cant play rips as rips don't  have cinavia.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:17:51 PM by jer1956 »