Author Topic: Plays too fast  (Read 4632 times)

Offline ghidorah

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Plays too fast
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
I seem to have a problem with some of my Blu Ray rips. I've ripped a couple of Criterion Collection discs using 'make MKV' and the resulting files play fine on my pc but when i try and get them over to the Mede8er they play as if they're stuck in fast forward. Other Blu Ray rips are fine on it. Can't understand it. Anyone help?
Thanks

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +198/-55
Re: Plays too fast
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
The player needs both header and stream Frame rate data. Other devices/software players will play  with just header rate data.  You can fix this using MKVmerge.

Offline ghidorah

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the response.Could you elaborate a little though as I'm not familiar with this.
Does that mean that Make MKV isn't very good? Do i re-encode the MKV file created by Make MKV with MKVMerge or am I ripping the disc again? Will i lost quality?
Thanks

Offline ghidorah

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
Could really use a bit of help with this. Tried getting MkvMerge and re-encoding the file but it was just the same. Tried specifying a frame rate of 23.976 but it made no difference. The whole thing plays like Alvin and the Chipmunks . Not sure where to go from here.

Offline ghidorah

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
Anyone? No one had this problem ever?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +198/-55
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
There should no need to convert the file.    Using MKVMerge you highlight the video  stream..and bring up the stream properties. You can then give the stream an FPS to  complement the information in the header, and remux.

Offline ghidorah

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
There should no need to convert the file.    Using MKVMerge you highlight the video  stream..and bring up the stream properties. You can then give the stream an FPS to  complement the information in the header, and remux.

Thanks for coming back to me. I think i tried that. I'd entered 23.976 in the FPS field and remuxed it. Still played as if it was on fastforward.

Offline ghidorah

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
Wee bit disappointed at the lack of help in this here. I'd have thought this might be a problem that some of you might hit. Thanks to the poster that did reply though. Found a solution from the Videohelp Forum.
I found out that the couple of MKVs that were playing at the wrong speed were from a source with a mono PCM track. When i disabled the audio, the file played fine (admittedly without audio so..useless!!). If any of you out there rip some Criterion Collection discs you might get this problem. They play fine if its just an iso. Wonder why the Mede8er can't play it though as it plays okay on the pc's Media Player.

Offline Thorgal

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
Wee bit disappointed at the lack of help in this here. I'd have thought this might be a problem that some of you might hit.
If no one experienced this kind of problem its not easy to come with a solution out of the blue. At last you did the right thing and posted something that can help other people with this kind of problem. Maybe Med8er will look into this and give us a solution in a future update. ;)

They play fine if its just an iso. Wonder why the Mede8er can't play it though as it plays okay on the pc's Media Player.
A PC is not a hardware-based player with limited performance and limited capabilities. If you start to compare both, then you should have bought a HTPC instead.

The audio is not a problem. Just convert the audio stream to AC3, AAC or FLAC.

Offline sarvajanik

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:48 AM »
ghidorah... just thought you should know. You're not the only one facing this issue. After having similar issues and going back and forth with the XBMC developers... they discovered it was a problem with the encoder - which in both our cases is MakeMKV.

And now, is being investigated by the MakeMKV devs. You may want to keep an eye on this thread for a solution (hopefully soon).

Best
-SD