Author Topic: [SOLVED] NFS Connection Issues - Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus  (Read 7378 times)

Offline giomania

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
I am having trouble connecting the 1000X3D (firmware V2.0.0) via NFS to a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus.

The Mede8er found the NFS "media" share on my NAS, but when I try to select that share, the unit locks up with the spinning logo on the bottom of the screen.  I have to pull the power cord to get it working again.  The IP address is correct. 

Then I attempted to create a shortcut to the folder where my movies are, since I cannot create a shortcut to the root "media" folder share.  When I try to access this share, it says "Failed", but the unit does not lock up.  The IP address is correct.  I have tried the following folder paths for this NFS share:

/c/media:/Disc Archives/

/c/media/Disc Archives/

In NFS options, I tried Auto first, but then changed the Protocol to UDP, and the rsize to 32768, according to a post here. 

Assuming one of the paths above is correct, I am thinking this is an issue with my ReadyNAS, but I think I have that set up correctly.  I am currently using the setup in the attached image.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:54:38 PM by giomania »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: NFS Connection Issues - Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
Try to change the folder name and remove the space in it.

Change Disc Archives to Disc_Archives Or Archives

If I remember well, spaces in a name give issues.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline giomania

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »
Try to change the folder name and remove the space in it.

Change Disc Archives to Disc_Archives Or Archives

If I remember well, spaces in a name give issues.

Thanks for the assistance.

I thought about the space in the file name possibly causing an issue, but could not find anything definitive when I searched on google.  Anyway, I created another sub-folder called "Movies" on the "media" share to test the theory, and placed a movie folder in there.

The following path (with a colon) resulted in the "Failed" message again:

/c/media:/Movies

The following path resulted in the Mede8er locking up:

/c/media/Movies

So, there is an issue with the space in the folder name, but there is also a problem with the unit locking up with valid NFS share paths, as the result is the same as when I try to access the entire "media" share (as noted in my first post), which mounts automatically. 

There must be an issue with a setting in the Mede8er or the NAS, but I don't know what to try next.

Mark

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
Re: Re: NFS Connection Issues - Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:49 AM »
Hi Mark,

Can you check if your nas has a jumbo frames setting? If yes turn that off.
Or otherwise check if you can modify MTU size setting. Set it to default 1500.

Best regards,
Maasbommel
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline giomania

Re: Re: NFS Connection Issues - Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Hi Mark,

Can you check if your nas has a jumbo frames setting? If yes turn that off.
Or otherwise check if you can modify MTU size setting. Set it to default 1500.

Best regards,
Maasbommel

Maasbommel,

Bingo!  That was it.  I had read about issues with Jumbo Frames, but could not find the setting in my ReadyNAS GUI, and I was not sure if it even had the setting as an option.  After your post, I searched in the manual and found where it was.  When I turned off Jumbo Frames, the MTU size setting automatically was reset to 1500.

I was able to access the "media" NFS share, and then could see and access the "Disc Archives" folder, even though the space was present.  I added it to "Favourites", and scanned the folder.

Thanks so much!

Mark

Offline giomania

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
I forgot to mention these details:

I was able to access the NFS "media" share that was automatically mounted by the Mede8er.  Once I was in the "media" share, I was able to access the subfolders in that share and add them as "Favourites".  I was able to access the folder with a space in the name, but this did not work when trying to add the subfolder mount I created, as described below.

I was also able to access the NFS subfolder mounts I had created, as long as the folder did not have a space in it.  The correct folder path settings were: 

/c/media/Movies  (This one worked)

and

/c/media/Disc Archives  (This one did not work, as there is a space in the folder name; the message indicated 'Failed')

The fact that I was able to access the "Disc Archives" sub-folder by drilling into the "media" share is good, as that saved me a lot of work re-directing all the movies in My Movies Collection Management to another folder, had I been required to remove the space from the name.  I don't think I will be creating folder names with spaces in them going forward; better safe than sorry!

Mark